Pivot Firebird - Such a dumb idea I must try it

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews' started by AKAKTM, Sep 7, 2022.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. AKAKTM

AKAKTM Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tony A
    Well, I said it. Nobody could tell me much about it so I had an opportunity...and took it. I've purchased myself a Pivot Firebird. Stupid overkill for me and probably dumb for a guy of my advanced age and capabilities. Picked it up at SpokeX in Temecula - a great shop that I highly recommend and they build some very impressive wheels. Tell Hunter I sent you!

I've done one 15 mile xc-ish ride with about 2000 ft of climbing with some awesome kids from the NICA race team. It hurt, but not because of the bike. The Steele kids are stinking fast and we began the ride in Agua Dulce when it was 88º out and ended at 99º. I did a little dialing in, but otherwise the bike felt as efficient as a Ripmo and at least as good as a Switchblade. New sizing is spot on since the medium has been up-sized and fits me perfectly. I hope the make the same changes (geo/sizing) to the Switchblade and I really wish they'd drop the SuperBoost, but I'll live with it. The bike pedals very well and rides like a normal trail bike! Impressed so far.

For the record, it's a 2022 Firebird, Sunrise color way, Medium, Team build, and weighs 31lbs 7oz as it sits with pedals. I plan to swap the 38 fork for a 36 which should bring the weight down to just under 31lbs. Not light, but not terrible either.

More to come and feel free to DM me with any questions.

IMG_4996.jpg IMG_4999.jpg IMG_5026.jpg

2. AKAKTM

AKAKTM Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tony A
    Next up I'll likely sell my near new Yeti SB130 Lunch Ride with RideWrap and X2 if anyone is interested.

3. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Pretty bike - but don't trade the fork to save 7 ounces. Let the bike be what it is. You won't notice the difference. You didn't buy it to be a svelte climber, so let the big dog eat!

4. AKAKTM

AKAKTM Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tony A
    I wold leave it alone, but I have yet to ride a Fox 38 I like so far. I find them all harsh and difficult to tune effectively. Maybe they are too stiff. I have a Fox 36 that I just love and find a more comfortable fork in the chunk and chunder and that has a side benefit of being a little lighter too.

5. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Ahhhh, that makes sense. I have had a fork that was too stiff laterally (Magura Thor) and couldn't ever get it plush. My experience with Fox in general is that they are difficult to get the small bump compliance that I feel a modern fork should offer. I needed a Luftkappe to achieve the expected plushness.

6. redwoods

redwoods Well-Known Member

Name:
    Patrick
    Current Bike:
    Ridin' heavy
    Love those colors! Very reminiscent of afternoons in southern AZ.

Several years ago I fell in love with the 27.5 Firebird - I had never ridden anything like it up or downhill. But Pivot redesigned it as a 29er, and it changed. Multiple attempts to get it to do the DH things the way I wanted it to failed, and I went another direction bike-wise. (I believe that was '19-'21 models, with the horizontal shock mount.) I haven't had a chance to try the newer version, with the vertical shock position...I'm very curious how it feels.

@AKAKTM When you can, post up more ride impressions, especially if you can include comparisons to other bikes you've ridden.

7. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    Send it out to have it revalved. Any fork with proper valves will be better than anything out of the box.

8. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    21 SSSSSSSSSlash!
    My shock and fork are at Fluid Focus in Vista as we type. Super deluxe ultimate and Zen ultimate +. Full service and dropping the oil weight . We shall see. Hoping to pick it up tomorrow.

9. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    21 SSSSSSSSSlash!
    Fork and shock are sooooooo much better. Actually running much more rebound than I would have thought but smoothed out the chunder.

10. sir crashalot

sir crashalot iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    Nice bike!
    I am old and overbiked (51 and banshee rune V2). Shy away from some of the heavier stuff I used to ride but still figure i need all the help from the bike I can get to stay unbroken. Dont care about climbing speed -but bike pedals fine anyway
    Zero F's given!

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?