Pets are people, too

Discussion in 'Free Zone' started by mike, Feb 7, 2018.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Y-not

Y-not Well-Known Member

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Pivot Mach 6, Litespeed SS
    Shots day.....
    She's an Angus

Runs with Scissors and herzalot like this.
  2. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    But is she stump-broke????

3. Rumpled

Rumpled Well-Known Member

Name:
    Jim Martin
    Current Bike:
    2018 Specialized Epic Carbon C
    Well, the sad day has come.
    Had to put my boy, Basil down yesterday.
    Tumors had grown so much that he could hardly get anything out pooping. Other than that, cancer didn't have any affects on him yet.
    Spent the weekend camping at Crystal Cove with him and his sister. Not really a good place for dogs cuz they can't go on the beach or the trails.
    Just hung out and did some walks around the CG..
    On the way home spent some time chasing other dogs and tennis balls at the dog park and then one final walk at home.
    Here's a pic from that walk.

20220926_132503.jpg

20220926_132507.jpg

mike, Faust29, Lost Kiwi and 12 others like this.
  4. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Sorry to hear. RIP Basil. :(

5. pperrelle

pperrelle iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ripley V4 & Ripmo V2
    Sorry for the loss. That's never an easy day. You should be comforted that you gave him a good life.

RIGID, Obsidian and Rumpled like this.
  6. Titus

Titus Well-Known Member

Name:
    Titus
    Current Bike:
    SC Hightower LT
    Basil looks like he was an awesome dog, and I'm sure he had a great life with you. It's so rough when we lose our pets.

Rumpled likes this.
  7. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I usually avoid this thread... :cry:

Early yesterday morning Maya crossed the Rainbow Bridge to join her big sister. She had a good last day playing in the yard, with a rice and ground turkey lunch. Although the vet said that she might have months left, it was only one day. :cry: She declined quickly through the night, and was gone by morning.

The day we brought her home 10 years ago...
    IMG_0236.jpeg

As a Puppy with her big sister, Ellie.
    IMG_0954.jpeg

Just last week... She and her little sister reclaimed the spare bed after company left.
    69447247393__034251D9-EAA6-4F05-A175-25B0F62EDBAA.jpeg

konakc, Oaken, mike and 19 others like this.
  8. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Sorry for your loss, Steve. :cry:

9. scan

scan iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    That's tough! Sorry for your loss:(

10. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, black one, Ti one
    That first photo is priceless. Clearly she was well loved. Very sorry Steve.:cry:

11. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

Sorry to hear about the pooch. You grow quite attached after all those years. Don’t know if it was better that it was quick.

At least she got to sleep in the spare bed the last few weeks.

12. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    And just so this whole thread isn’t about doom and gloom…..

not all pics are all that flattering….

Stewie
    DFBAEEAA-B1BA-4FD4-8E43-9D7F57BA4B4B.png

13. siata94

siata94 Well-Known Member

Name:
    siata
    Current Bike:
    lazy goat
    Disheartening… she was among the lucky and had an awesome life!

14. Stkx66

Stkx66 iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower 27+/ 29r
    Sorry for the loss of your family dog Steve.

15. RIGID

RIGID Member

Name:
    bandman
    Sorry to hear about loss. She was definitely loved.
    As someone once told me,
    "Goodbye",
    It's the most difficult part about having a dog.

16. Titus

Titus Well-Known Member

Name:
    Titus
    Current Bike:
    SC Hightower LT
    Thanks for sharing the awesome pics, and so sorry for your loss. It's been about a year since we lost our German Shepherd, and I still get teary eyed thinking about him.

17. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals

Sorry to hear, Steve.

18. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Thanks everyone…

I’m not sure why, but this seems to get harder every time. :(

19. Bluesrider

Bluesrider Well-Known Member

Name:
    Todd
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower
    so sorry to hear always a tough time to go through. My condolences to you and the family.

20. Stkx66

Stkx66 iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    I woke up to the stench of acrid gas and onion smell around 1:30 am today. I ran to the kitchen and checked the burners. Nope. All off. I checked the garage. All clear. I walk outside in my backyard and the smell is there. The smell is in the house. What can this be? I woke up my wife and she said it rained and maybe the smell is just in the air for some reason. I go back to bed. Not satisfied I go out and walk down to the end of the street. Smells fine. I go home. Back to bed. Not satisfied again I get up and grab a ladder and check the attic. Smells fine. I go back to bed. Not satisfied I get up and remembered Jax had done Toby's new trick yesterday. Maybe he has a problem. He's sleeping in our back room with our other dog Jolene and my daughter's dog Dolly. I checked the girls. Smell ok-ish. Jax.... I smell the top of his head and wow! Found the source! Fresh Skunk attack or defense- Well.. Jax was washed twice. Once with Dawn, Peroxide and baking soda and then all three dogs with Natures Miracle. The dogs smell much better but the odor still lingers in our house. Good times!

D90893DD-4166-46C9-B360-98AC56DD3C24.jpeg

0ECD6C20-CC53-4995-ACE2-4B1218DF85AA.jpeg

8CFC114E-D433-4DF4-A7CF-3F45020A2278.jpeg

mike, Rumpled, pperrelle and 8 others like this.
  21. Stkx66

Stkx66 iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Clyde came by making his rounds. He’ll scratch on the door to be let in to make to make a lap around our sunroom. I hooked him up with a piece of English cucumber but I have to crate the dogs so they don’t jack his treat. . Clyde is around 60 years old-

IMG_7073.jpeg

IMG_7071.jpeg

IMG_7074.jpeg

Oaken, mike, Faust29 and 10 others like this.
  22. Rumpled

Name:
    Jim Martin
    Current Bike:
    A couple of months ago we had to put down one of our cats. Vicki was 17 and really alive through 16, but faded fast her last three months. She was one of my Mother-in-laws cats that we took in when she died five years ago.
    I thought all was well with our one remaining dog, two remaining cats, a chinchilla and a gecko. (Seriously, the fewest animals we have had in 20+ years, shoulda invested in a feed store)
    Then my wife and daughter decided we needed a kitten. NOOO!!! I screamed when they came home.
    I lost the vote 2-1.
    Bummer is, this kitten is not getting along with our existing cats. I hope it gets better.
    To top it off, my wife and daughter went to CatCon yesterday and without me knowing my wife slapped a Cat Dad sticker on my truck. I much prefer dogs.

Oaken, Faust29, DangerDirtyD and 6 others like this.
  23. Sasquatch9billion

Sasquatch9billion iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    trinidad j. mendez
    That is kind of funny. You have to admit.

Faust29, DangerDirtyD and Rumpled like this.
  24. Rumpled

Name:
    Jim Martin
    Current Bike:
    Yes

Faust29 likes this.
  25. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Jim and Steve, my condolence for your loss. Your dogs were blessed to have such a good life. You can be proud that you were worthy owners that followed through 100% on your commitment.

Jim, have patience with your kitty. Her and your resident cats will work it out eventually, either becoming buds or at least tolerating one another. We went through it last year and, though I was doubtful, the cats proved me wrong and now love each other like siblings.

26. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    Please think good thoughts about Rusty, and for my daughter. He got attacked by a pitbull that supposedly escaped its house through the front door that wasn't closed all the way. This happened while I was at work and Kim was walking him in our neighborhood. The pit got his jaws around Rusty's torso, and they couldn't get him to let go for over a minute. He's in surgery now to repair a tear in his abdominal wall that his intestines had breached, and they're going to see what other internal damage was done that they couldn't see on x-rays and ultrasounds. Of course there are some puncture wounds to be stitched up as well. The vet called his prognosis fair to good. His vitals have fortunately remained good. This is all my worst nightmare, in that my daughter, who has anxiety and OCD, is absolutely obsessed with Rusty, and her biggest source of anxiety has long been that something bad will happen to him. I just can't even imagine how this would shatter her if he doesn't make it. This is such a helpless feeling. FWIW the other dog's owners also seem distraught, and promised to take care of whatever needs to be taken care of.

IMG_5866.jpeg

27. pperrelle

pperrelle iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ripley V4 & Ripmo V2
    Thinking good thoughts for you @buggravy. I’ve had two dogs that were attacked and was amazed at how well they recovered. Dogs really are resilient creatures.

28. CBone

CBone iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Tucker
    Current Bike:
    Intense Primer
    :thumbsdown::thumbsdown: That is rough. Hope he pull through and your daughter has some comfort

29. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    Thanks for the encouraging words, guys. Just got a good news call from the surgeon. She still has to repair 2 golf ball sized hernias, and had to remove his spleen which was ruptured, but otherwise found everything to be pretty intact. She said the main cause for concern for the next couple days is clots and cardiac arrhythmia which can occur as a result of the spleen being gone. He'll be in the hospital for a couple days with a belly drain, but barring complications the prognosis seems to have improved quite a bit.

RIGID, Obsidian, SnakeCharmer and 4 others like this.
  30. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    I cannot click "like."

I am very sad to hear this and I am sick of Pit Bulls killing and maiming and their owners and others defending the breed. "Oh she's usually so sweet..." "Oh he's never done that before..." The breed was bred to kill. That's what they do. Huskies pull, terriers go after rodents. Pit Bulls kill or try to anyway.

I know I will now got responses about how it's the owner, and how I can't blame the breed. Bullshit. If you own one and he or she is sweet, that's great, I hope it never reverts to its instincts and clamps onto your little nephew or the neighbor's dog. I watched one kill my neighbor's cat while in the owner's possession. One bite. I had to bring the dying cat to my neighbor and tell him what I witnessed. The cat was under his owner's SUV when it was attacked. The "pitty" was on a leash.

Hoping the best for Rusty and for you Matt and your daughter. This sucks.

buggravy likes this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?