Snow Sports and/or Surfing

Discussion in 'Free Zone' started by herzalot, Mar 21, 2019.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    I am in Pismo this week and so far loving it. I really need more time on it. Will be in Morro Bay tomorrow and it will 2-3 ft.

Danimal, herzalot and tick like this.
  2. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    I've seen some pretty good surfers and some pretty good surfing on Wavestorms. Hmmmm, let's see $100 for a disposable board that works just fine or $1000 for a somewhat fragile board that works a little better. Tough call. :confused: :D

tick likes this.
  3. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    I changed my fin configuration back to the 5 fin that the board was allegedly designed for. The Futures Simitar Quads plus 3" center fin. I'll be g-dammned if the board wasn't a lot more lively and fast with the 5 fin as opposed to the 2 + 1 that I've been running since about my third day on the board. A whole new level of fun. Wheeeeeee!

5 Fins 949.JPG

Rumpled, Danmtchl and DangerDirtyD like this.
  4. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    My mom grew up in Newport in the early 50s riding pillowcases that they’d fill with air before taking off, and im sure some guys were able to shred those too.

I’m pretty much a half step above playing Marco Polo with an Aqua Noodle

Lost Kiwi, herzalot, Danimal and 2 others like this.
  5. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    I have never seen the center fin setup like that, so you run multiple types of fins in the center. I have only ran mine as a thruster and quad. I would like to run mine as a 5 fin just to see how it performs. I will check out those Futures also.

herzalot likes this.
  6. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    I dunno - something seems a little fishy to me...

Stewart Fish Deck.jpg

Stewart Fish Bottom.jpg

7. beartooth

beartooth Member

Name:
    rob
    Current Bike:
    process111
    Stewart has been making some pretty fishes. I gave this a whirl in october. Coming from a 10 year hiatus from shortboards made me feel like a kid again. By short board, I mean 7'6" and 47 L. :)

65619808239__566297EE-E09E-4470-AFBD-6C1FAFA1E255.jpeg

singlespeedrider and herzalot like this.
  8. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Here's my problem - and it's a first world problem. I was debating between the 6'4" and the 6'6". I went smaller, since it's a fish and I want it to ride like a fish. However, the new me ain't the old me and I could probably use the extra volume and wave catching and give up a smidge of "performance." Whaddya think? I haven't waxed it, so it's not too late to exchange.

I'm 6'4" 210 lbs and not so quick to my feet.

Danmtchl, bvader and DangerDirtyD like this.
  9. beartooth

beartooth Member

Name:
    rob
    Current Bike:
    process111
    I am shorter and fatter. 6'1" and 2 many pacificos. I only learned that ...just because it floats you, doesn't mean you'll catch waves, and just because you catch a wave doesn't mean you will enjoy the ride. Pretty profound and that mindset is what keeps both the MTB industry and surfing industry printing money.

On the practical side, Stewart used to rent boards for a few days and deduct the price from the cost of the board.

I also have a 7.0 stewart that would be nice for a 160-180 lbs rider. if anyone is interested, send me a PM. Happy to trade for a few more pacificos.

Danmtchl, herzalot and Obsidian like this.
  10. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Stewart doesn't have fishes in the rental or demo fleet. I answered my own question. I should be on the 6'6" or even the 6'8". I'll trade it later this week. I hope.

Danmtchl likes this.
  11. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7

Damn, I just bought a 7’6 and it’s 54L and floats me really well.

herzalot likes this.
  12. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Exchange completed. After checking about ten different size charts for a "fish" I learned that a man of my heft (95 Kilos - 210 lbs) and ability (perpetual intermediate) should be on a Fish between 6'6" and 7'0". So I saw this pretty little 6'8" that matches my bike. I convinced Stewart to ignore their "all sales are final" policy and do a straight exchange, since I bought the 6'4" yesterday and didn't wax it.

Ta Da!

Bigger Fish Deck.jpg

Bigger Fish Bottom.jpg

MolarM, buggravy, bvader and 5 others like this.
  13. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    what a beautiful board. Hope you like the new fin setup. I know you loved the 5 fin.

herzalot likes this.
  14. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    I had a quad fish that I absolutely loved, back when I could surf. 6'2" Al Merrick Fishcuit. I was riding most of my shortboards as quads a few years back when I quit surfing (around 2014). I've never done a vertical maneuver on a wave in my life, so no real need for a thruster.

Danmtchl likes this.
  15. singlespeedrider

singlespeedrider Well-Known Member

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC advanced single soee
    Some clips of the new Mesa surf park have been surfacing on Instagram and have me pretty excited. Depending on cost I’ll be driving back to California to pickup a board. Not sure I really want to long board or ride an early 80s thruster on this wave and that’s what I kept for sentimental reason.

Danmtchl, herzalot and Danimal like this.
  16. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    I waxed it, so I guess I own it. Ready to give 'er a go tomorrow (conditions permitting) or sometime this weekend!

Fishy Tale.jpg

17. Titus

Titus Well-Known Member

Name:
    Titus
    Current Bike:
    SC Hightower LT
    Nice board! I've learned I'm too lazy to paddle anything shorter than 9 feet. My 10 foot single fin is usually my go-to. Enjoy.

Danmtchl, herzalot and tick like this.
  18. singlespeedrider

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    My go to before moving was 5’10”. I think after a few years off I might go 6’ with some volume.

Danmtchl and herzalot like this.
  19. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Peaky and glassy yesterday morning at my usual spot. About waist to chest high on the best waves. The wave at Trail 1 is very lazy - it looks great, but doesn't harness a whole lot of energy. But I was able to give the new board a go. Catches waves easily as I expected it would, and my feet seem to hit the board in the right spot almost every time. It's fast and stable, although the waves were a little too mushy to give 'er a proper test. Oh and I got a "sweet board" from a random 20 something surfer as I exited the water. That's what it's all about! Who cares how it rides, as long as people compliment it! :thumbsup:

Another crowded Sunday morning:
    Trail 1 July 10 22.jpg

As I mentioned in another thread, my back was a mess. When I stood on my first wave, I couldn't really get into a properly flexed position. Luckily, I loosened up enough to catch about 6 or 7 more. Lately riding and surfing have actually helped my back, but not today. I struggled a little getting out of the water and walking back to the car. :(

20. singlespeedrider

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    I just learned that on the west side of the valley on 2024 they have planned another wave pool with the surf lakes technology. The huge plunger style that makes the perfect slab wave to get super pitted.

Danmtchl, herzalot and Obsidian like this.
  21. Titus

Titus Well-Known Member

Name:
    Titus
    Current Bike:
    SC Hightower LT
    Glad you are stoked on the new board! I always find it hard to paddle out when every other commercial is for shark week.

22. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    FB_IMG_1657678043620.jpg

23. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    my moron niece wouldn’t let her kids go into the ocean because it was shark week. True story!!

herzalot and Obsidian like this.
  24. Rumpled

Rumpled Well-Known Member

Name:
    Jim Martin
    Current Bike:
    2018 Specialized Epic Carbon C
    Wanna see sharks?
    Can't remember if it has been mentioned, Malibu Artist on YouTube uses drones to film sharks near surfers and other people in the water.

25. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    I've only seen one, but I'm sure they see me every time!

Reminds me of an argument I posed a number of years ago about the world's greatest athlete. There aren't very many sports in which you have a decent chance of being eaten while competing.

Speaking of which, the World Surf League returns to J-Bay in South Africa today. I am sure the "men in the grey suits" will be patrolling the lineup as usual.

26. MolarM

MolarM Member

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz 5010
    Mick’s a stud. That incident was crazy!!!

Danmtchl and herzalot like this.
  27. singlespeedrider

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Johanne Defay and of course Steph Gilmore were killing it on day one. Toledo is my pick on the mens side, let’s hope for another double air wave like a few years back.

MolarM, Danmtchl and herzalot like this.
  28. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Gilmore just threw down an amazing ride with beautiful, critical turns and a great barrel. Only 8.33 but looked like a 9 plus to me.

And now Carissa Moore breaks her board on her way out for her quarterfinal match. You might say her board is ...Lost, creating Mayhem! She had to swim back in, run 1/4 mile up the beach to get a new board as her heat starts, then paddle out through bombing waves to get back out to the lineup. If she catches one wave, it will be amazing!

EDIT: Carissa won that heat and eventually took equal 3rd for the contest.

I am bummed that Slater seems to be in the same headspace as Aaron Gwin - sort of wanting it, but not really having fun, thus not performing at levels they are capable of or at least once were.

MolarM, Danmtchl and singlespeedrider like this.
  29. singlespeedrider

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Carissa is a champ. She’s amazing in the water and seems just as awesome out.

herzalot, MolarM and Danmtchl like this.
  30. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Nice to get out in some stronger surf. I have been tentative since my back surgery last January, so pretty much only surfing stuff from about chest high or lower. There is a pumping swell this weekend that pushed the surf in my go-to spot to the chest high to maybe a foot overhead zone. I was apprehensive to be out in the bigger surf yesterday, so I was a little cautious and didn't catch much, but I did learn a lot about where I needed to be and to not be.

Much better luck today. I was still a little selective as the biggest ones were mostly closeouts, but caught a few gems and had my single best wave of the season. Yay me! The new Stewart fish is the board I needed at this point in my surfing - at 6'8" it's small enough to duck dive, but big enough to catch waves easily and very forgiving of poor foot placement, bad take offs and choppy water.

Random goofy-footer on a medium wave today... Good shape, glassy.

Trail 1 4'.jpg

Surfline calling for 15' waves at Lower trestles Tuesday. Wheeeeee! (For them - not for me)

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?