Snow Sports and/or Surfing

Discussion in 'Free Zone' started by herzalot, Mar 21, 2019.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Studded snow tires!

And this is why Mammoth is always a gamble. I hope the weather settles down for you!

2. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    So yesterday was a complete wash, but I got one of the best massages I've ever had. Today looked iffy, with most lifts showing weather hold at 8am. At 8:30 a few opened so I made my way over, and loaded onto Chair 2 around 9am. After a couple skidded turns to get my bearings I locked into my first carve in almost 3 years with Jane's Addiction "Mountain Song" in my ears, and all felt right with the world. A couple runs later a few high speed carves in soft wind-deposited snow to the sounds of The Cult "She Sells Sanctuary" were pure bliss. No clue how many runs I ended with, but got in 4 hours of uninterrupted riding with minimal lines. Pretty stout winds, but enough sun to soften the snow up by mid morning, and most lifts other than 12 and the top were open. Only bummer were Chair 12 never opening (my favorite chair in the Spring), and the last hour my surgerized knee was pretty lit up from being a shock absorber. Over all though, today was a great season.

IMG_9811.jpg

3. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    This makes me very happy! Good on ya! :thumbsup: :cool:

tick, Danmtchl and buggravy like this.
  4. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    Thanks, brutha.

tick, herzalot and Danmtchl like this.
  5. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    Well, after being reinvigorated by my recent trip, and my wife's trip the week before, we re-upped with IKON just before prices went up. Hopefully that doesn't prove to be a foolhardy financial move, but I just hate the thought of not having a pass and shelling out the criminal prices for lift tickets. Einstein's definition of insanity be damned.

Danmtchl, tick, Rumpled and 2 others like this.
  6. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    I had already renewed, but at the last minute my wife decided to come along. She did 6 days this year, which is better than break even, but the 4 days in a row at Copper was maybe a day too long for her. But if you figure she’d still do at least one day at Bear and a couple more on a Mammoth trip, regardless of how the weather is, the rest is just insurance against a big El Niño when she’ll want to be out every weekend.

She will be on travel for some training the last full week of May. If Snowbird is still spinning, I think I will go.

herzalot, Danmtchl and buggravy like this.
  7. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    I found the Storm Skiing podcast this week. I’m a little bit surprised by how much I enjoy interviews with ski resort executives. One crazy fact I learned: 7 of the guys hired to run Bear Mountain after the sale in 1988 went on to senior exec jobs at big time spots, including Aspen and Jackson Hole. Interesting that what feels like such a backwater spot had such an impact.

crazy fact: A-basin gets 600,000 visits per season. Summit & Bear combined get 900,000, on 1/3 the acreage and less than half the season. And the A-basin locals are moaning about the crowds.

Danmtchl, buggravy and herzalot like this.
  8. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    A Basin's terrain is a weeeee bit more challenging! I wouldn't call it family friendly.

A-Basin.png

Danmtchl, tick and buggravy like this.
  9. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    Fair point. I think 250,000 people are still trying to make their way down Summit Run.

The other fun fact—switching from Epic to Ikon reduced A-basins visit count but increased revenue. I’d been trying to figure out why Vail hadn’t scooped up Mtn High—it’s a ripe target IMO. It turns out that they’re too stingy.

https://coloradosun.com/2022/04/19/colorado-independent-ski-resorts-thriving/

Danmtchl and herzalot like this.
  10. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    upload_2022-4-23_19-53-21.png

I saw this on Facebook and remembered the Sims snowboard on here.

11. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    Chair 5 is open but you have to traverse to get there. The top was perfect from 9:30-10:00. It’s 10:40 and I think the snow has one more run in it.

3542BB3D-6FF7-4873-8066-FCC7B3670B69.jpeg

Danmtchl, CBone, Rumpled and 2 others like this.
  12. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    Pulled the trigger on a new Maurice Cole Red Dingo. Heading out to Ventura tomorrow and see how she rides.

91F87F73-6247-4377-BF70-27851C885E3B.jpeg

13. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    That looks fun! 7’6”?

14. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    Yes it is a 7’6.

0B10C03A-2C96-4F9E-B6D5-1F42A5873C57.jpeg 2C4BCB19-4E4E-421C-ABE2-2C1BE822043A.jpeg

Sasquatch9billion and herzalot like this.
  15. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    That'll float ya! My Stewart 949 is 7'8" x 23 x 3 - so even more floaty for my aging, 210 lb self. 23" is too wide for my skinny hips while sitting on it!

Surf forecast looks tolerable for Ventura. Not like the 7-15 mph wind predicted here tomorrow.

What fin config do you plan to use?

16. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    Maybe a quad or maybe a thruster. That is why I got it, for its versatility. Just might play it by ear.

herzalot likes this.
  17. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    I run my 949 as a 2 +1 with a 6.5" center fin and two small side fins. Solid!

Danmtchl likes this.
  18. Rumpled

Rumpled Well-Known Member

Name:
    Jim Martin
    Current Bike:
    2018 Specialized Epic Carbon C
    Wow, you can buy boards at Jack in the Box?
    Who knew?
    Does it come with fries?

DangerDirtyD, Danmtchl and herzalot like this.
  19. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Surfed my usual spot this morning. 2-3' but cloudy and lumpy. I hit the water around 10 am and I was alone. On a holiday weekend. In Southern California. Not one other surfer.

The surf was iffy - but I still managed to grab about 5 in under an hour. One was good. That's OK. It was still a great workout. The water temp is pretty nice now - about 64° I would guess. I got out when it got crowded (2 other surfers showed up, about 100 yards or more away from me).

Rode one all the way to the beach, changed out of my wetsuit and the sun came out. So I just hung out and soaked up some rays for about 45 mins. The wind calmed, but the waves were still disorganized and a bit sloppy.

Great morning out there enjoying solitude in one of the most crowded areas of the nation. :thumbsup: :cool: :)

Here's my crowded beach. That's my stuff in the photo.
    Lonely Beach at Trail 1.jpg

And the selfie in the other direction:
    Selfie Trail 1.jpg

20. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    You can buy a board at JBX, it’s on a secret menu at the one on I-5 and Stockdale Hwy in Buttonwillow. No fries though.

Danimal, Rumpled, Obsidian and 2 others like this.
  21. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Another trip to my usual spot. Super crowded today - I counted 7 other surfers in a 200 yard stretch. :eek:

I had a pretty good session with 8 waves ridden in just over an hour. 4 really good rides with open face all the way in.

Although the best wave I "caught" got away from me. There were dolphins cruising the lineup as a nice 3' set wave came. I turned to go and there were two in the wave. I caught it (left), but in my exuberance to ride it with dolphins, I got my weight too far onto my toes and fell off. :mad:

Water temp a highly tolerable 67°

da big hills, Danimal, tick and 5 others like this.
  22. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    Danmtchl, Danimal and herzalot like this.
  23. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Danmtchl, tick, Rumpled and 1 other person like this.
  24. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    I finished the podcast on the drive home. I learned that, according to the owner of Mt High, there are 120,000 Ikon Pass holders in Southern California :poop:.

herzalot, Danmtchl and Obsidian like this.
  25. singlespeedrider

singlespeedrider Well-Known Member

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC advanced single soee
    CC91F020-C4EB-430F-AD7E-492D3272E626.jpeg 9F0FB03D-919D-472F-BA1F-55018570A97E.jpeg 572DD819-906F-4FD7-A811-FB1608BFF560.jpeg Now being in landlocked Phoenix is started doing something I made fun of when I lived in California, SUPing. I could not stand them in the surf but it’s a perfect way for me to beat the heat and get in the water. Lake pleasant is just 25 minutes away with some great spots to cliff jump and check out the local wild burros running around. I guess I’m a SUP guy now.

26. da big hills

da big hills iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    cagey
    Current Bike:
    enduro 29
    it is 75 here. swells are small, but we had the king tide today and everything was passing over the reef

Danimal, herzalot, Danmtchl and 2 others like this.
  27. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Well kids, the water is in the upper 60s to 70s, and the air temps on the mtb trails is approaching 100° so it's that time of year to surf and not turf.

Here's a picture of Barney Kook after a surf at Trail 1 yesterday. 3-5'

Barney at Trail 1 .jpg

Walleye, DangerDirtyD, tick and 7 others like this.
  28. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    Trail 4 today. My meager skills are such that just bobbing around wears me out, never mind actually catching anything. But I got some beach reading in afterwards.

Danmtchl, Danimal and herzalot like this.
  29. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    On what board were you bobbing?

My daughter will be at surf camp there - Trail 4 - from Monday (7/4) through Friday (7/8). I hope she has fun. She's done surf camp in Laguna before, but never an overnight surf camp.

And paging @Danmtchl, how are you enjoying that Red Dingo?

DangerDirtyD and Danmtchl like this.
  30. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111

Wavestorm, baby. I’m committed to not taking this sport seriously. I consider not drowning a W.

I’ve camped at the Trail 4 group site many times. The Metrolink is an excellent alarm clock.

herzalot, Danmtchl and Danimal like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?