I rode with an e-biker... and I liked it!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BonsaiNut, Sep 27, 2021.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    Long story, as so many of mine are...

Walking in my neighborhood, some peeps driving by in their car looking at lake lots. We struck up a conversation, and the guy was a biker, so I said "let's do it!"

We go out on a ride together... and he brings an e-bike. Full disclosure... he is in his 60's so he ain't no young pup. However he is a biker - two, or three rides per week. He had sent me some images of his garage before we hit the trails - and I am seeing classic bike hoarder images of road bikes hanging from the rafters, mountain bikes on the floor, etc.

So I got my ass chased by an e-biker for 12 miles. He could have crushed me on the climbs ( had he wanted) but it was 50/50 on the downs... even with this 50 pound bike. Truth is... he told me afterwards that he couldn't have stayed with me on the climbs without e-bike love, so it is all good.

Mikie, stevers, herzalot and 11 others like this.
  2. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    If they're legal, I don't see an issue. But, I also see this thread going quickly off the rails. :Roflmao

Although... It does make me wonder: Who amongst us will be the last to ride with one? :p

Mikie, herzalot, Cyclotourist and 6 others like this.
  3. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    This wasn't intended to be a hate thread... rather just an report of an experience. At the end of the day it comes down to a few simple questions:
    (1) Will I want to ride with him again (yes)
    (2) Will I buy an e-bike any time soon (no)

All love...until I get passed on the right by an e-biker going uphill at 25, catching air on the uphills. That happened a week ago... but I try to block it from my mind :) Was ich nicht weiss, macht mich nicht heiss :)

4. sir crashalot

sir crashalot iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    me

5. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    I ride with e-bikers all the time. They're like rabbits on the FLoop.

Like rabbits as in rate of reproductive increase, and who to chase. Made one of them chase me on a couple climbs. :facepalm::Roflmao

6. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    Sound a like a fun time. It's very possible some of us may end up on ebikes at some point.

And yeah, I rode with my wife that has and ebike, so I'm not last.

7. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Sweet, I can ride an ebike now.

8. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    When I had to go to the office, one of the Sycamore Sunrise Marauders was Craig riding his Parkinson’s Disease through Sycamore Canyon on an E-bike.

9. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Practicing balance does something for PD. I don’t think it’s known exactly how it works. Good for Craig!

My dear friend with PD has fallen down so many times he had to have knee repair. I finally got him to start wearing knee pads more regularly, a little too late. He has an electrified contraption for riding with his wife on the street, but he prefers my old Bronson. He’s the toughest MF I know. He’s been debilitated for two decades. Think about that when thinking you need motor assistance.

10. scan

scan iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    Now there's a legit reason for an ebike!!

11. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    I happened upon a pair of e-bikers at an ocean view lookout (trail high point) this past weekend while I was up on the Central Coast and we chatted for a few mins. They were locals so I sucked a little local knowledge out of them. They looked to be in their late twenties or early thirties of age, both very fit. I let them go first so that I could enjoy some solitude before I set off on the DH fun. About 2/3 the way back down the mountain, one of them came flying up on me from behind and it startled me to the point that I almost lost it. You can see me get squirrely on one of the platform turns in one of the videos I posted from the weekend up there. That's when the rider startled me.

12. DIRTJUNKIE

DIRTJUNKIE Member

Name:
    Jay
    Current Bike:
    Intense Primer, Pro
    I just saw a guy pushing an e-bike along the road with a rear flat. This was not your normal e-bike. This was one of those 100lb commuter types with small wheels huge fat tires, a battery the size of a car battery and a motor the same size. It was a tank, it was also loaded down with groceries on the back rack. Dude was sweating his arse off.

13. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo

Appropriate use for an ebike when on the street. The lesson here is, always have a flat repair kit with you.

14. blixet

blixet Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tom
    Current Bike:
    Transition Scout, TJ Ti
    Sunday a guy went by me looking like a Hell's E-angel. Ape hanger bars, pogo rear seat for his daughter. So much going on I couldn't get a good look at what the heck kind of e-thing it was. Flying by pretty fast for loose downhill moondust and marbles conditions.

15. fos'l

fos'l Well-Known Member

Name:
    Bob
    Current Bike:
    2005 Santa Cruz Superlight
    Flat repair isn't "e"z on some of the behemoths since usually the rear wheel (hub motor) and torque arm(s) need to be disconnected in order to remove the wheel (very difficult unless the bike is inverted); then, some fat tires are difficult to remove. Nightmare city (Yes, I know and have done it in my garage and a machine shop). Dined at my favorite taco place in Dana Point this weekend and the big fat "e's" were aplenty. Probably 10:1 ratio to bikes.

16. G Haymond

G Haymond Member

Name:
    G
    A lady died Sunday evening riding an e-bike home from Ohana fest in Dana Point with her two children on the bike. Crash happened on the san juan creek trail across from Docent Brewery if anyone knows the location. The kids were wearing helmets and survived, she was not.

Cyclotourist, Danimal, mike and 2 others like this.
  17. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    :(

In the German news this past week there was an e-bike fatality. From the description in the article, it was an inexperienced mountain biker who lost control in a turn and ended up falling head first into a rocky stream bed. :thumbsdown:

Sadly, there was a "German Mike V." commenting heartlessly on the article... Maybe it was Mike V for all I know...

18. da big hills

da big hills iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    cagey
    Current Bike:
    enduro 29
    that would be me unless I have one. Not many night riders, less e riders

Faust29 and Cyclotourist like this.
  19. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Saw this this morning - horrific! I have nothing against e-bikes as commuter bikes, but damn, people, don't load up two toddlers on your ebike, then expect nothing to happen. I hurt for this family. Such a stupid way to die. :mad: :(

mike, scan and DangerDirtyD like this.
  20. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

@theProfessor was telling me about this today.

Unfortunately he was saying that people like this are speeding down the bike trail all the time on their ebikes. It was bound to happen at some point....at least she didn't hit some innocent walker/rider.

mike likes this.
  21. fos'l

fos'l Well-Known Member

Name:
    Bob
    Current Bike:
    2005 Santa Cruz Superlight
    Spent Saturday in DP with my granddaughter and "e's" abounded although, to be fair, the individuals were courteous and rode carefully. Many of the people were getting along in years and there were some in packs with little to no pedaling apparent, just throttle-jockeys. Looks like a new category needs to be added to "bicycle" jargon, especially considering how large this segment is becoming.

Faust29 and Cyclotourist like this.
  22. gunga din

gunga din Member

Name:
    steve villmer
    maybe moped

fos'l and Faust29 like this.
  23. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I didn't mention it in my ride report yesterday, but I actually saw one that caught my eye. An older gentleman exiting from El Prieto on a steel Marin hardtail. I noticed the steel frame, whitewall plus tires, schnazzy blue paint scheme... And then I noticed the motor. :eek:

If I had to ride one... That would be a good looking machine...

24. Sasquatch9billion

Sasquatch9billion iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    trinidad j. mendez
    I'd rather start golfing than ride an e-bike. That's just me though. Most of my friends have already left bikes for golf clubs.:gag: Hell, IMO e-bikes are just unamerican.

Oaken, herzalot, Redman and 2 others like this.
  25. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I was already a golfer. :laugh:

The 29 in my user name is for August 29, 1984... My hole-in-one date... 150 yards, 9-iron. I still have the ball.

26. da big hills

da big hills iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    cagey
    Current Bike:
    enduro 29
    We had a crash and a death here in the Dos Vientos links trails. This also just in: unlimited Bike riding in Holy Jim until 15 May 23

27. Y-not

Y-not Well-Known Member

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Pivot Mach 6, Litespeed SS
    If it isn't on Strava......it didn't happen.

28. FizzyCola

FizzyCola Member

Name:
    Dr. Thunder
    Faust82919841509 would have been a lot cooler name :p:geek:

Faust29, tick, herzalot and 2 others like this.
  29. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Is that a joke of some kind?

30. Titus

Titus Well-Known Member

Name:
    Titus
    Current Bike:
    SC Hightower LT
    During my recent trip to central CA I rode with a buddy (newbie and a big dude) on trails with long climbs. EBikes are legal so we rented one for him and it definitely made the day considerably more enjoyable for him. I've never ridden one before, so I hopped on for a few minutes while he took a breather. Anyone who argues that ebikes give a 'mild assist' is full of it. This bike (Trek rail 5) had, I think, 4 levels of assist. The least amount of assist was still significant, while the most assist let me plow up the steepest section without peddling. Not for me, but glad the Ebike allowed my friend to enjoy a day on the bike.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?