Tire combo

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kingaucho, Dec 5, 2020.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Which tires have you used that do not slip under hard cornering and/or braking?

Mikie and Danmtchl like this.
  2. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    @Faust29 i very well may end up with another DHR2. It’s just that the last one died after about 20 miles on a very little rock garden on the fire roads of Marshall Canyon. @SnakeCharmer the Kenda Hellkat comes to mind as the grippiest rear tire I ever used. Reviews suggest it is popular as a front tire, but I have it mounted on the back and it grips a grip, even during prolonged skidding…slightly better grip than a DHR2 but also with a little more rolling resistance in my opinion. Both of those tires perform the way I want on the DHs. Maybe a dissector for the rear is worth a try to make the climbs more tolerable. Maybe I should just ride more and stick to knobby tires. I’m not worried as much about how fast the rear tire would wear as long as it is otherwise durable because it takes me a while to rack up miles. I hear from credible source that the Dissector’s knobs grate like cheese from typical use.

Mikie, Danmtchl and SnakeCharmer like this.
  3. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    I have the DHR II and I love it so far ... super grippy and does not slip on loose climbs like the Aggressor. I do not find it to be all that draggy ... I currently have six consecutive rides with more than 3,000 elevation, so as long as I can do that with relative ease then I'm good with it.

It is probably not the tire for 50-60 mile epics or people who want to set climbing PR's though. :Roflmao

Mikie, Danmtchl, herzalot and 4 others like this.
  4. DangerDirtyD

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    I guess another way to put is that I want a rear tire that can handle Saturday rides with @burt while preventing @Faust29 from having to slam his brakes when climbing behind me.

Mikie, Danmtchl, Danimal and 3 others like this.
  5. DangerDirtyD

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    I read the Der Baron and Der Kaiser from Continental are heavy. That may help with their durability, though, because other Continental models were used by members here 7-8 years ago and abandoned due to weak casings.

Mikie, Danmtchl and solislbc like this.
  6. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    Ride behind @Faust29 on the climbs. Problem solved. :laugh:

7. da big hills

da big hills iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    cagey
    Current Bike:
    enduro 29
    I thought skidding was Faux Paux on this site. The fastest guy I let pass and then followed would skid into every corner bounce off the little tiny outside berm and jet out to the next. Dude was fast as lightning

Mikie, Danmtchl and Faust29 like this.
  8. DangerDirtyD

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    He won’t let me. #Sandbagged!

Mikie, Danmtchl, herzalot and 2 others like this.
  9. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    He's afraid of the spiders! :Roflmao

Mikie, Danmtchl, DangerDirtyD and 2 others like this.
  10. DangerDirtyD

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    The trails I’m thinking of don’t leave the rider any choice in order to slow down.

Mikie and Danmtchl like this.
  11. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Just a little quickie to mess with his head... And usually on the fire road. :p

Mikie, Danmtchl and DangerDirtyD like this.
  12. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    My hard tail light combo is 29x2.40 Reckon Rear, Bonty SE/XR 4 2.4 Front

The big squish is
    Maxxis Aggressor Rear + Scwalbe Hans Damf 2.35 OR Maxxis DHF 2.35 / 2.5 ( when the going gets tough)

solislbc, Mikie, Danmtchl and 2 others like this.
  13. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

Which is why he gets to ride out front. :whistling:

Mikie, Danmtchl, DangerDirtyD and 2 others like this.
  14. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Have you been riding with @burt? Tell him hi for all of us! We miss him. :(

Mikie, Danmtchl and DangerDirtyD like this.
  15. DangerDirtyD

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    Last time was Nov. 6. He slides the Verdugos on Saturdays, but I haven’t made it there yet. Waiting for a rain event first.

16. Grassblade23

Grassblade23 Member

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Surly Karate Monkey
    I have a Nevegal2 that was intended for an e-bike, (The price of free-fiddy was right.) Nominally 2.4, mounted to 2.175 on an AR24, and 2.25 on a Scott 26 id rim. It's unrecognizable as a Nevegal. Rolls well, but still has traction. I hated the old tire, but this is decent. I was running a Regolith in front of it when I first put the Karate Monkey together, but that's too much of a trail tire for my fat carcass. It would drift in the corners and then catch. No crashes, but not confidence inspiring. I have a Hellkat 2.4 AEC on the front now. It was overkill for 8 hours of Temecula, and a bit heavy. (1093g on my scale.) But it also rolls well and grips pretty well for a 2.4. Curiosly, the Hellkat 2.6 ATC only weighs 1002g on my scale. (I haven't tried riding it yet.) So far, my favorite 29er combo on the KM has been Racing Ralph rear and Hans Dampf front.

herzalot, solislbc, Mikie and 5 others like this.
  17. uzziboy

uzziboy Member

Name:
    aaron
    Current Bike:
    Intense tracer 275 carbon
    I’ve run so many tires I’ve lost track. Running aggressors front and rear 2.5 for the last 3 years and have no complaints. I ride most trails around OC and have had good results. At oaks i ride hawk, cactus, old goat and chutes and tires hook up every time. Everyone rides differently. I think tire pressure is a better indicator of traction than actual tire.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?