Panaracer Tires

Discussion in 'Tires' started by Runs with Scissors, Feb 28, 2022.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    I picked up a pair of Panaracer Gravel King SK, in 35mm.

First, what they do well:

I set them up with tubes, to form them to the rims, and gave them 70 psi. Took them out on the Sutra LTD on a run up GMR, with a short jaunt out on Monroe Truck Trail to test gription.

They are light weight (not lightweight) tires, and are not directional (which I find awesome) and the rolling resistance is great. I didn't set any PRs but then I didn't expect to on a 30-lb steel beast.

What they don't do:

After two days with tubes, I removed them and attempted to set them up tubeless. Total fail. They would not, even using blaster pump, seat. Tried at least 5 times.

End result: Great tire on gravel/dirt/loose over hard, good gription on same, cornering excellent unless there was moon dust - which I did encounter and planned for - and overall a good tire. But if'n you can't make 'em work tubeless, it's not worth it IMO.

I'm not 100% sure whether it's a failure of the the tire tolerances or an incompatibility of hooked/hookless tires vs hooked/hookless rims. Mainly because I can't remember whether the rims are which of those.....and I don't care.

Maybe these will work in other applications. I don't want to chance them with tubes, given where I like to ride.

Danmtchl, Faust29 and UPSed like this.
  2. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    What tape are you using?

Danmtchl and Runs with Scissors like this.
  3. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    No tape. These are sealed rims, Giant P TRX1. There are no inner spoke holes and no tape is needed.

Danmtchl and UPSed like this.
  4. floyd

floyd Member

Name:
    garret
    Current Bike:
    FWIW i've currently got panaracer 43mm setup tubeless on my salsa fargo. One rim is a 23mm WTB and the other is stans.

5. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    I have a near bald set of 43's on my commuter right now with 5000 miles. Soon as I get the chance I will put on the 38's I have. Both sets worked tubeless just fine.

Danmtchl and UPSed like this.