A Few Bad Apples...::

Discussion in 'Trail Advocacy' started by mtnbikej, Jan 17, 2020.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Herzy posted the same in the existing thread a couple hours before this one… I’m on the phone, or I’d merge this into that one…

2. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    No win situation. Some people are just entitled assholes. You get guys on bikes who just want to send it, who cares that you are there (my GF got pushed off trail last weekend). But you also have hikers who don't want you there and will hate you no matter what. I politely asked to pass a group of people near a trail head a few months back, riding SUPER slow behind them (it was more of an uphill fire road still, I wasn't in a rush) and they freaked out that I didn't give them any warning and that a bell would have been nice! I was riding 3 MPH, seated and relaxed, and I just said "Can I get by you guys?"

Never going to win with some people.

konakc, Stkx66, Diytypeofguy and 6 others like this.
  3. Lost Kiwi

Lost Kiwi Well-Known Member

Name:
    Simon
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Whilst most of us are no angels when it comes to sticking to things like the speed limit here's a quick recap of todays lunchtime loop of Whiting.

Me: Bell on for every hiker passed, who were then thanked and wished a good day (except for one, we'll get to him in a second)
    Trail Runner: Blind corner on the wrong side of a fire road running uphill. At least he had the courtesy to wave an apology.
    Hikers: Of the approximately 15 hikers I did pass easily half of them had ear buds in and didn't hear my bell. The worst hiker behaviour was a husband and wife coming down cattle pond, no problem, saw them in plenty of time and slowed right down. The wife steps aside at a place thats convenient so of course I thanked her. Her weapons grade bell-end of a husband though feels the need to dominate the trail blocking it all the way down thru the creek and up the other side. Fair enough, you do have right of way, but then he chooses to deliberately stop at the top of the single track on the edge of the clearing so no-one can get past! I'm sorry but at that point I think its ok for me to tell him what a wonderful human he is. I'm sure he can't wait to go tell all his buddies what a prick the rider he came across was today though.

But yeah, its clearly me making the trails unsafe for everyone because I go above 10mph....

4. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    Man, complaining about a few hikers. I ride people who are using side by sides, quads, motorcycles and sand rails. Hikers have nothing on these morons where I ride. I could be come up or down a canyon and I can suddenly here bass behind me of a Mariachi band (I am not kidding about this) and they try to pass on what used to be single track. Most don’t have on helmets and usually have the kids in the back with the music blaring. It’s unreal sometimes.

mtnbikej, DangerDirtyD, mike and 4 others like this.
  5. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    Let’s ride in 9 hours, and you won’t see any hikers.

6. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    Maybe this should be moved to the
    "People suck" thread.
    Ho hum..i meet awesome folks and d-bags on the trail. I'm the former 90% of the time and the latter 10%. Or do I have that backwards?

7. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    It’s tough to read about my spoke brothers’ ride experiences being downgraded. :thumbsdown: I’ve missed out mostly but had some tastes of it.

The off-roaders I’ve met have been categorically awesome. Even the moto mob of five stopped their excavation on Joplin to allow me a safe pass. :unsure:

Danmtchl and Mikie like this.
  8. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    On a plus note...

I rode 24 miles of single track yesterday with a buddy. Because of single direction of travel, we didn't see a single other biker. However we passed about four or five hiking groups, from single individuals to one group of perhaps 20. Because they were walking into the direction of bike travel, they saw us coming, we saw them, and both groups were able to stay positive. Lots of quips and a few laughs, and everyone went their merry way.

It's certainly possible - without the government becoming involved.

Sidewalk, konakc, UPSed and 4 others like this.
  9. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    The major diff is that you're in NC and we're in Cali. That's an instant attitude adjustment right there alone. :)

10. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    I’d like to think state borders make a difference, but they don’t. Proximity to high population does. Every big pop center in every state has the rats-in-cage syndrome. Phoenix, Denver, Reno, LA, OC, Bay Area, Boston. The more rural you get in any state, the friendlier the people.

Yuma is easily the friendliest place I’ve ever spent time. The worst I’ve already mentioned.

Sidewalk, herzalot, Mikie and 2 others like this.
  11. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    People get very upset when their expectations aren’t met. When I get on the 405 at 4:30 on a Thursday I expect traffic.

I had come to expect a pleasant experience riding OC Parks. My expectations have been reset, now I expect at least one unpleasant encounter with an ebike on every ride. I’m happy if it’s not two or three.

my guess is that people living in Yuma have simple expectations.

12. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    Mikie, it’s cool that you’re in charge of this website. But I’m glad you’re not in charge of California :coffee:

Mikie and Danmtchl like this.
  13. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    I thought the 405 is where I parked my car for a few hours at a time.

14. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Guarantee you… it would be better! :thumbsup:

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?