Riding with Kids - General Topics

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Cornholio, Dec 18, 2020.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    There’s been several threads about what bikes to buy but wanted to start a general thread for anything to do with riding with kids. It can be questions about gear, feedback on gear, trails that are good for kids at X age and ability, etc.

I know there’s only so many of us on the board with younger kids but we do exist and there have been some helpful threads in the past for kid topics.

I’ll start with this tow rope I saw on Pinkbike. A bit spendy but it seems like a well thought out product that I can see myself using with my 5 year old on some trails. Even the slight uphills at a place like the lower part of Black Star are a chore for him, with a tow rope we could cover a lot more ground.

After seeing this I am going to look into some DIY options and evaluate what makes more sense to me. If I can go to ACE and make something workable for under $50 then I’d do that.

https://kidsrideshotgun.com/collections/products/products/shotgun-mtb-tow-rope-kids-hip-pack-combo

7220944E-A4D9-4E6C-81C5-880A9ED874B9.jpeg

The Fanny pack the kids wear to store it is a bit ugly, hopefully they have more options.
    2B046875-2F9B-492C-8BF8-8C3D11764F97.jpeg

2. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    scan and Mikie like this.
  3. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
  4. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    Mikie likes this.
  5. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    I have not tried any of these. You can buy bungee style load straps. I would not use an actual bungee cord. IF it breaks/snaps the outcome isn't going to be pretty.

Mikie and Cornholio like this.
  6. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    I feel like this is an America’s Funniest Home Videos moment waiting to happen. Maybe with some permanent disfigurement.

Mikie, Voodoo Tom, Faust29 and 3 others like this.
  7. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    No way an actual bungee cord, I guess that’s why I should maybe go with one that has been tested before. Not looking for my kid to be a guinea pig. :laugh:

Having grown up around boats I know the dangers of tow ropes snapping back.

Mikie, Redman and herzalot like this.
  8. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    I’ll make him wear safety goggles.. o_O

Mikie and Redman like this.
  9. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    I did see a version of this, except with 2 adults, climbing up Palo Comado a few months back. The lead dog was on an ebike, naturally.

Mikie and Faust29 like this.
  10. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    I just tell my daughter to suck it up, buttercup.

Oaken, Rumpled, ~JB~ and 6 others like this.
  11. Grego

Grego iMTB Addict

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    When Vince was 5, I'm pretty sure I was pulling him around on a half bike. We rode some good trails and I'd still be in full control, except for my lack of skills...:confused: He learned the trails before riding them himself. I think that helped his mindset on the climbs, and downs. Still he started out with shorter rides then slowly graduated to bigger. Accomplishment on his own fed the stoke imo.

Stkx66, fos'l, Cyclotourist and 5 others like this.
  12. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Could be why your kid likes to ride and mine doesn't. :confused:

13. Grego

Grego iMTB Addict

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    Probably a couple more reasons. Vince was born into dads MTB world. Mom would work weekends and dad was going MTBing with the kid one way or another. Also, once he was able to pedal the whole Floop, we attended the STR Thursday night rides religiously every week with noobs, drunks, crashes, smacktalk, excitement, bike shop locals, skilled riders. I mean where else do you meet someone with a name like "Shitty". Never knew what the night had in store. Pure entertainment. So I guess what I'm saying here is group rides helped as well, people would always cheer him on too.

Oaken, Cyclotourist, mtnbikej and 4 others like this.
  14. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    He sucks it up just fine, he is just on a 16” wheeled belt drive “SS.” Having just turned five the other day and already riding for a year and a half he’s pretty capable on the bike, just not strong enough to pedal up some hills yet. Probably another year before I try to even get him on a bigger geared bike.

Back in April he busted his chin falling off of his bike and insisted on riding the next day after getting stitches.
    7BE6B3E6-1D28-4100-B151-FFCCD0D1F177.jpeg

E007B27B-181D-4F2E-9706-B9A038BE199D.jpeg

Oaken, scan, Cyclotourist and 7 others like this.
  15. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Should this thread be merged with the "I rode with my kid today" thread? @Faust29 @Mikie

scan, Mikie and Faust29 like this.
  16. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    I remember this as Chin stitches have special place in my heart... Well and I guess my Chin :)

Glad things going well and the journey

17. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    Just ordered this Bern helmet for my daughter since she outgrew her other helmet. My son has the same one but the boys version in black and it’s awesome. Removable flip visor, velcro adjustable, light weight but a solid plastic shell similar to a skate helmet.

He often forgets it’s on and goes into the house and wears it until we point out that he still has it on. :p

F8D41F8F-BE1F-4509-B933-D71F7CB450FA.jpeg

18. Derkderkall

Derkderkall iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2020 Specialized Fuse 29
    This should make for some fun at bonelli, telegraph canyon, lower gab.......

Mostly a good excuse to ride my bike when the new baby arrives.....

IMG_20210108_103354.jpg

CBone, Redman, herzalot and 3 others like this.
  19. fos'l

fos'l Well-Known Member

Name:
    Bob
    Current Bike:
    2005 Santa Cruz Superlight
    +1; I had a Trek "attached one-wheel bike (or whatever they're called)" for my daughter from age four to six, and we explored everywhere on it including places like Dreaded in Whiting. She loved to ride then and still enjoys it, although more into gym-type of exercising now.

20. Grego

Grego iMTB Addict

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    Is there some kind of seatbelt or harness for the kid or does he just hold on as dad rips the trails?:cautious:

21. Derkderkall

Derkderkall iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2020 Specialized Fuse 29
    No belts...
    They just hold onto the bars, and use the stirrups

22. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    These Bern helmets are awesome, definitely recommend. My daughter tested it out the other day when she took a spill, only a bruised ego.

You can get a liner for snow sports for them too.

A6DA00AE-7DA9-42E0-AC62-A34ACE51736C.jpeg

Danmtchl, Stkx66, buggravy and 4 others like this.
  23. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    I have a small Giro Scamp helmet that both kids have outgrown. It has MIPS and the padding can be washed. If anyone is in need of a really really small helmet in good condition it’s free for pickup.

F40AEDA8-BB40-41CA-9174-07E148074A0F.jpeg

B25A8C17-DC73-470B-B0CC-A1C6FAED9247.jpeg

24. furball

furball Member

Name:
    furball
    Talked to a guy at the top of Brown who rode his 45 lb son up on hardtail with a (pictured above) Shotgun like top tube contraption. Said he takes it easy on the chunk but leaves the ground a bit. His son loved it. Pretty cool.

Danmtchl and Derkderkall like this.
  25. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
  26. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Halloween Ride with my 11 YO. She graduated to mom's 26" wheeled Titus Motolite. She LOVED it.

Ruby Whiting Halloween 21.jpg

Ruby and Dad Halloween Ride.jpg
    This thread should be merged with "I rode with my kid today" please!
    @Mikie @Faust29

27. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5, Ripley & Mojo 4
    Saw a plethora of these used at the 18 Road trails in Fruita

28. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I’m thinking this thread is more about kid gear than riding with kids.
    I think I’ll separate out the actual riding and leave one for gear and the other for the joy of riding with your kid(s).

29. solislbc

solislbc Well-Known Member

Name:
    El
    Current Bike:
    2001 GT Zaskar
    Going back to the OP, I’ve used the tow-ee strap to haul my 8 year old up the last mile to four corners at CHSP and for a couple miles to tow my 11 year old up to 007. They work great. They stretch without a jerking feeling. Other than a little more work for the person in front, you can nearly forget you are towing a kid. The retraction is also nice as you don’t have it dragging on the ground if you hit leveled ground.

I’ve learned not to skimp out on gear for my kids. I end up buying twice. Luckily my daughter can pass on what doesn’t get destroyed to my youngest. Except helmets of course. I took her to summit a couple times this year and she loved it. Unfortunately she got too confident after 4 runs on going green and went down hard. I still have nightmares about it. Luckily she was geared up, including a full face. 3 months later we are still dealing with a torn shoulder labrum. Praying she doesn’t need surgery.

buy your kids the right gear. The full face saved her mug. Big scrape on the front of the chin guard.

30. uzziboy

uzziboy Member

Name:
    aaron
    Current Bike:
    Intense tracer 275 carbon
    Warning, another old man rant coming in.

Nope, nope, nope on all this tow rope silliness. Both my kids were on bikes at 3. ( cranks out and free falling on a soft slope ). I know this is not everyone’s cup of tea. But both of them were tearing it up very young. The boy now is 6’ 2 and puts me to shame. My daughter not so much ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

D47732CA-1CC8-4451-B4BE-A5A8ED21E634.jpeg

7F89AE9F-ECD6-4CD2-BC85-131A6AF9A859.jpeg

Voodoo Tom likes this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?