Rwanda Ride

Discussion in 'Rides That are 30 Plus Miles' started by kingaucho, Oct 13, 2021.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. kingaucho

kingaucho Well-Known Member

Name:
    Lubo
    Current Bike:
    Giant Anthem 29er
    Anyone else doing it this year? It’s on 10/23. Also got this email and I’m pretty bummed that this is their last year.

Now with a heavy heart, we're letting you know this will be our final Ride for Rwanda in Orange County.”

Always looked forward to it. :( Sounds like they may put it on elsewhere since they mentioned final in Orange County.

RIGID, Old&InTheWay, Faust29 and 3 others like this.
  2. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    I thought they dropped the Rwanda part of the title a few years back. It went 50 MR, then to Good Dirt.

3. Rumpled

Rumpled Well-Known Member

Name:
    Jim Martin
    Current Bike:
    2018 Specialized Epic Carbon C
    I thought it was 50 Mile Ride, then Rwanda, now Good Dirt.

I'm signed up for 25. May not be able to make it, we'll see.

Email wording is a bit cryptic.

RIGID, Old&InTheWay, Faust29 and 2 others like this.
  4. Torrent77

Torrent77 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dave
    I signed up for the 10mile.

5. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Interesting it's not on their event page. https://gooddirtride.com/

I didn't get the email, but I haven't signed up in a couple years either.

Cyclotourist and Torrent77 like this.
  6. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    That was my first big ride back in 2013... Sorry to see it go, but everything has a cycle.

I was one of the last to finish...

Kitchen 1.jpeg

Cyclotourist, ~JB~, Stkx66 and 9 others like this.
  7. RIGID

RIGID Member

Name:
    bandman
  8. Rumpled

Name:
    Jim Martin
    Current Bike:
    I don't remember exactly what year it was, one of the Cook's starts and ends.
    I gave Tom Ritvhey MTB advice, and he took it.
    I know, crappy rider like me - what could I possibly tell Tom Ritchey that he didn't already know?
    Well, he and his wife blew by me on their tandem early.
    A bit later, near the Monastery I passed them fixing a rear flat.
    Seemed like only seconds later that they flew by me uphill.
    I noticed that his rear brake was still open and told him.
    Just a bit later he stopped and fixed it.
    The TLDR makes it sound better.

9. FizzyCola

FizzyCola Member

Name:
    Dr. Thunder
    I remember doing this in 2011, starting at Cooks. It was sooooo windy that day! And then we got lost on the way back somehow, the 25 miler turned into 31.

10. Earn Your View

Earn Your View Member

Name:
    Bryan
    Current Bike:
    2013 Charge Cooker
    I rode the 25 mile route yesterday and had a blast! I haven't been riding much over the past year and after a shake down ride last week, I was really wondering if I was going to be able to finish. But I did even though I was definitely towards the back of the pack. Saw @Rumpled and said hello. I've always enjoyed this ride since it's an event I can be a part of as someone who doesn't race nor is interested in racing. I had a good time joking around and having friendly banter with a lot of other riders. I was riding a Charge Cooker (affectionately named Cooker Power), so if you saw that bike, that was me! Sorry if I offended anyone!

11. Rumpled

Name:
    Jim Martin
    Current Bike:
    Nice to meet @Earn Your View yesterday.
    It was a Misty day, riding in the cloud for a few hours. A friend of mine texted me about 7am that he was in, prior to that I had no close friends doing the event. So, we tried to ride together.
    I did notice early on that there was no marshall/volunteer at the 10/25 mile split. (Foreshadowing)
    A couple of riders had less than spectacular days. Riding the 25 at the slow end we got to the Vista downhill just as a couple of Rangers showed up for a downed rider.
    One Ranger with an attitude declared the trail closed (he asked us what trail it was and said he was from another park, I bet he is still a jerk at that park)
    So, we went up to Monastery Road to connect up. My buddy was concerned about the no bikes signs, but I told him we have to move on.
    So later, just past the Red Monkey banana aid on the mesa another rider asked me how many miles I had. I told him just under 10 and he said we should be right near the finish. I was a bit shocked and then felt pain, for him. I said, "Dude are you doing the 10 mile?"
    He responded yes and then I pointed out the big turn he had missed. And there was noone there pointing which way to go. They did send the 10 milers at the same time as the 25 milers. They did tell the the 10 milers to he at the back. I think a 3-5 minute gap between the groups could have been all the difference.
    So, I steered him down Antonio back to the start.
    We rode along and I did not pay attention to all of the pre event instructions because I have done this many times and I know everything.
    Well, I didn't know that Dove Canyon was the only test stop for the 25 mile. Thankfully, I needed no further support, I was just unknowing.
    A bit further along we see a Helo of orbiting, we hope for no bad news. We get to Look so and cross and head down Antonio. And then there is a river of riders coming back to us. Word is someone went down on Waterworks. A few guys near went forward to Spitfire, but we went back down to Oso and into the Arroyo and back to the start.
    Overall a good ride, just hard enough for a 25 mile ride should be for a fat, old guy like me.
    Got some good Habit burger and a few beers in the beer garden. Didn't win any big raffle items, but they were throwing things of the stage into the crowd. I said I would like one of those ODI coozies in orange. Next toss was right at me and I caught it with only a few golden nectar drops spilled.
    I did rub off some of my winning mojo to a couple I just met, she won a $250 gift card.
    Overall, a good time and party, even with the Misty weather.
    So, Doug Grant said this was it, because they are tired of doing it. I totally get that. Later, in the parking lot some dude unknown to me told me to watch my email for something to come. So, take take that for the randomness it is worth.
    At the beginning I also saw @Grego who said Vincent was doing the whole thing.
    In the beer garden I also saw @horsebikerider and talked to her briefly. Seems J did not get voluntold this year.

bvader, UPSed, DangerDirtyD and 4 others like this.
  12. scan

scan iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    Where have you been @Grego ?

DangerDirtyD and Cyclotourist like this.
  13. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    Grego has been dodging da sauce.