potential Craig's List scammer

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by blixet, Oct 13, 2021.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. blixet

blixet Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tom
    Current Bike:
    Transition Scout, TJ Ti
    I listed my a bike for sale on CL yesterday. Later in the day I had a response to the ad asking a couple of questions and requesting that I respond to them using a gmail address provided rather than going through CL. I thought it was a bit weird but brain farted and did it.

Shortly after, I realized that it was very likely a bad idea. This morning I got a second email, this one from a different email address claiming to be the wife of the first person with a convoluted message saying that they wanted the bike, would pay full price + $50 extra to hold it. The kicker is that they wanted to mail me a cashier's check and would arrange for someone to pick up the bike after the check cleared as they were very busy.

CL warns not to accept cashier's checks as they can be falsified/fraudulent and I'd be left holding the bag. The whole thing seems really sketchy (obviously :facepalm:). I replied through CL email to that effect. Too uncomfortable, too sketchy, no way. I'd meet at a safe location (although I didn't say this - I'd also bring along my next door neighbor who is a deputy sheriff) and accept cash in exchange on the the off chance this is a serious offer.

What says you folk who have more experience with this stuff? I've sold a couple of things on CL and never had a problem, but I am aware that many people have had bad experiences.

Mikie, herzalot, mike and 7 others like this.
  2. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    That sounds like a scam that's been going on forever. Not sure if only CL, but I've seen similar before. I'd abort sell.

Mikie, herzalot, blixet and 5 others like this.
  3. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Anything convoluted is a scam.

For fun... Examine the full header of the e-mail and see where it originated.

Mikie, herzalot, blixet and 3 others like this.
  4. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    I had a guy bring me a cashiers check from a legitimate business name but the check itself was fake. He was from the West LA area and the bank was from Beverly Hills. Something didn’t feel right, so I told him I’d deposit the check and when it cleared he can pick up the bike. Well it didn’t clear and I never heard from him again.

5. Titus

Titus Well-Known Member

Name:
    Titus
    Current Bike:
    SC Hightower LT
    It is 100% a scam. Don't have any further communication with the scammers. Don't be surprised if they send you some kind of threat/other nonsense.

Mikie, Danmtchl, Faust29 and 5 others like this.
  6. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Might end up being a Nigerian prince.

nigerian-prince.jpg

Mikie, herzalot, mike and 4 others like this.
  7. blixet

blixet Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tom
    Current Bike:
    Transition Scout, TJ Ti
    That is all pretty much what I figured. They wanted my name, address and phone #. And they would wait until the check cleared t0 p/u the bike. Sounds like it could be a burglary crew too. Thanks for the input.

Mikie, Luis, Danmtchl and 4 others like this.
  8. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Par for the course – nice redirection. :thumbsup:

Mikie, mtnbikej, Danmtchl and 3 others like this.
  9. fos'l

fos'l Well-Known Member

Name:
    Bob
    Current Bike:
    2005 Santa Cruz Superlight
    I've had CL responses where the individual said he wanted to pick up the bike right away and to text him/her my phone number, address, whatever. In these instances it seems as though they wanted my cell number, maybe to sell to scammers/telemarketers (oops, same thing).

Mikie, Old&InTheWay, mike and 3 others like this.
  10. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    I have only accepted cash for CL sales. My last one was over $4000, so I was a little concerned that the hundies might be fake, but he lives and rides locally, so I took a chance.

Mikie, Old&InTheWay, mike and 3 others like this.
  11. blixet

blixet Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tom
    Current Bike:
    Transition Scout, TJ Ti
    My offer to relieve them of cash before handing over the bike went unanswered. So that would be the answer. Good riddance.

mike, Mikie, Old&InTheWay and 3 others like this.
  12. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    If it sounds too good to be true, it isn't.

I've sold a lot of stuff on Craigslist, including a Lexus LS. Face to face contact only. Local pickup only. Cash only. That eliminates about 99% of the problems. Each party can bring a friend no problem. But test-driving a vehicle only me and the driver in the vehicle at a time. Also offer a purchase receipt that shows what you sold, and the amount of payment, and have both parties sign.

No problemo.

mike, Mikie, herzalot and 3 others like this.
  13. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Same here. Lots of stuff including our last vehicle. Downtown city hall is right down the street from me... If they can't meet me there, they probably aren't actually interested in what I'm selling! I have had several just come to the house as well. So far we're still alive!

mike, Mikie, Danimal and 3 others like this.
  14. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    This is great advice..
    One legal addition.. if ur w a friend.. have ur friend sign as witness..further deterence...also meet in public location..

mike, Mikie, BonsaiNut and 2 others like this.
  15. Sasquatch9billion

Sasquatch9billion iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    trinidad j. mendez
    Same. Local church parking lots seem to work well too. I have somehow always lucked out and gotten buyers that seem very cool. I follow the guy who bought my old specialized on IG, dude posts rad old punk show flyers from the 70's/80's.

mike, Mikie, Danimal and 3 others like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?