Giro Shoes Suck.....And Customer Service Isn't Any Better

Discussion in 'Shoes' started by mtnbikej, Mar 23, 2020.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. senderos_949

senderos_949 Member

Name:
    Randy Morris
    Current Bike:
    Marin Mt Vision Pro
    I bought the Shimano ME501s on sale at REI but had to return them. Too roomy for my low volume feet compared to my old Shimano more traditional-style XC shoes which fit perfectly. The BOA didn't work for me - had to crank it down so it tightened too aggressively up high but didn't lock down my forefoot - and the small velcro strap in front was useless. I also noticed the sole rubber was very hard and plasticky so assume that would compromise hike-a-bike traction.
    Then I tried the Shimano XC 5's but same issues with inability to get BOA to lock down my foot evenly - I think would prefer old-school buckle and velcro at the point. They do have Michelin rubber for outsole so that's an upgrade but the shoe just felt plasticky and cheap for $170 - returned. YMMV

Screen Shot 2021-07-23 at 12.35.50 PM.png

Cyclotourist and Faust29 like this.
  2. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I think it's funny that a spammer/bot revived an older thread... The machines are taking over. :eek:o_O:cautious:

As far as shoes, I still like my Pearls... I presently have one pair with the boa and one with velcro. They fit my fat feet quite well and hold up nicely.

The only part that sucks is the store in San Clemente closed, and the closest now is in Gilroy. o_O

3. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Love the roadside shops in Gilroy with all the cheese and garlic samples. Could be worth the drive!

Oaken likes this.
  4. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    21 SSSSSSSSSlash!
    Another Giro bad review. Bought some Giro Jacket II flat shoes cuz I liked the look . I had some Giro gloves and jerseys and they were top quality so figured the shoes gotta be good, Nnnnnnnotttt so! The fit and look were good but the supposed Vibram soles were not grippy or durable. On the first ride the waffle design in the bottom began to break off left with a slick hard base! WTF! Rode them Sat and really sucked doing all that techy climbing with Walleye. I called them and gave them what for and they said they would send out a new pair. I told them about the bad reviews on the net and of course they had not heard. Went back to Bike Bling and they took them right back and said "The 510's are on the next aisle over. Bo must have been reading my mind.
    Bummer cuz I really liked the fit and look. I almost bought a pair of shimano's that looked and felt good but just did not look as well made as the 510's. Hell all you have to do is spray the dirt and dust off the 510's and they look like new again!
    No go Giro!

DD8200C3-40E8-4661-AB0E-48B91F8C4101.png

CF0CE967-69A8-4B84-BD35-64C71A9A1AF1.png

5. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    21 SSSSSSSSSlash!
    Well after calling Giro and they offered up new shoes with out me even asking . Got them in the mail today. The sole actually feels softer than the first pair. Maybe the traction nubbs will stay in tact this time. Stay tuned.

herzalot, mtnbikej, Obsidian and 2 others like this.