Who do you use for TV/Internet?

Discussion in 'Free Zone' started by SnakeCharmer, Mar 3, 2017.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Thanks for sharing this!

Mikie, Danmtchl and UPSed like this.
  2. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    Amazon Fire Stick with Kodi. $75 one time. Gets you all channels, sports, and movies. How do you not go this route?

I got mine from a gent in HB. PM me if any you'd want his info. He's legit.

3. knucklebuster

knucklebuster Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Megatrail
    Cool, glad it's working for you. Didn't know you could get the F1 on the sports package on Sling.

I don't watch much TV except for sporting events. Six months ago or so we turned in the cable box, got an antenna in the attic (need a good one for south orange co), got Netflix for the wife for $10, and eventually Sling for my sporting events. Honestly that covers everything I would watch (F1 interest has waned). We got the $20 Sling package (ESPN and many of the popular cable channels).

We even got a free Roku Stick when we signed up for Sling. This was nice because the TV ran on the 2.4Ghz channel, and Roku supports 5Ghz which our router does as well. So wife can watch shows on the older TV on 2.4 and I can watch my stuff on 5ghz with no throughput issues. Lots of options out there these days, but $30 a month is much better than the $130 the cable was...

Mikie, Oaken, MattB and 3 others like this.
  4. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    I have the Stick. Wasn't impressed with Kodi. No contracts on anything so I may try Kodi again. Thanks for sharing.

Mikie, SnakeCharmer and Danmtchl like this.
  5. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    Spectrum for TV/Internet

Mikie and SnakeCharmer like this.
  6. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    How many channels, how much internet speed and how much for the package/month?

Mikie and Danmtchl like this.
  7. scottay

scottay Well-Known Member

Name:
    Scottay
    Did you hack your Firestick? I need a decent tutorial. Seems cumbersome to use....

8. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    With kodi I've watched more hockey games in the last few months than I have in the last 4 years. Any sport you can think of, even curling.
    We watched LEGO Batman last week with no issues. It does take a little time to figure out what streams work best.

9. scottay

scottay Well-Known Member

Name:
    Scottay
    You use Exodus? Is that a good place to start?

Mikie likes this.
  10. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    I got the silver package that has 175 channels. Internet speed is 60mbps and I have phone also, I pay $138.00 for all three services. I just switched from ATT/Direct TV and my tv alone was $143.00 a month.

Mikie likes this.
  11. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Recently dropped Spectrum cable TV as my $35 a month bill quickly climbed to $80, most of that was equipment rental and fees! Tried the free 2 week trial of YouTube TV and we're hooked! By far the best streaming service we've tried. It's $65 a month but you can have a total of 6 friends and family profiles so theoretically, it could be less than $11 a month! 85+ channels and unlimited DVR included. The best part? No extra fees! If you're looking for a new TV service, check out YouTube TV.

Mikie, Danmtchl, Makoto and 7 others like this.
  12. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    we got rid of Spectrum for cable TV back in December. We still keep them for internet.

Honestly can't say that I miss TV.

We still have a handful of streaming services: Netflix, Amazon Prime, Disney+(free year), HBO Max, AppleTV(1 year free).

I do spend a lot of time on YouTube, but not enough to pay for it.

Mikie, Danmtchl, Cyclotourist and 3 others like this.
  13. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    YouTube TV is not YouTube but I hear what you're saying.

senderos_949, Mikie, Danmtchl and 2 others like this.
  14. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    I had YouTube TV last year and I will be picking it up again soon once football starts. I agree that it is really good, although the only thing I use it for is live sports.

Mikie, Danmtchl, Cyclotourist and 2 others like this.
  15. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    Nothing

Dropped cable TV probably 15 years ago. Used Netflix back then...when you still got discs mailed (the best way as it limits your viewing). Did transition to Netflix online. When I divorced and moved out and cut everything except basic cell phone service (even using a low data plan).

Several years later I am using an unlimited data plan (which isn't much more than a restricted plan) but do not pay for any services. I have been watching Battlestar Galactica streaming on the Peacock website with the GF when we are riding the trainers. On rare occasion (three times in the past 18 months?) I have paid to stream something I wanted to watch (one of them being Free Solo). I do give a monthly donation to a small YT channel (Plainly Difficult) and to a podcast (MotoPod).

Mikie, Danmtchl, Cyclotourist and 4 others like this.
  16. scan

scan iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    YoutubeTV FTW!!

Mikie, Danmtchl, Cyclotourist and 3 others like this.
  17. siata94

siata94 Well-Known Member

Name:
    siata
    Current Bike:
    lazy goat
    $15/mo for internet, grandfathered in years ago and forgotten... I better delete this post...

18. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    You must be psyched to charge some big walls now. :eek::sneaky: Still fun with gear. :coffee:

Danmtchl, Sidewalk and DangerDirtyD like this.
  19. Maderas84

Maderas84 Member

Name:
    Andres
    Current Bike:
    Ibis, Pivot & Santa Cruz
    Here in Knoxville I’m getting 450 Mbps with EERO…for less than I was paying Spectrum for 100 Mbps in SoCal.

20. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    I had actually watched it a couple years ago, I think before I was interested in climbing. We wanted to lay in bed and watch something, which we don't do often, and picked that (she had already seen The Dawn Wall, I haven't yet).

I did some climbing in JTree last season, I have a lot of work to do before I get to big walls :bang:

21. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Currently using Frontier for Internet and it has been outstanding.
    I cancelled Dish Network and no long have TV or the need.

22. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    No Frontier here at our address. AT&T is pathetic at best. We are stuck with Spectrum though it is expensive, it's ripping fast!

23. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Jtree is scary…everything is too close to the ground! Standard fare in SoCal. You have Mt Woodson, secret weapon in the war against gravity. Get sharp on the problems there and everything will feel moderate.

Have you cleaned a pitch on aid? It’s basic for anyone with a mechanical mind like yours. Solid on any 5.9 with long route experience used to be the criteria. Those days are long gone, everything goes now.

If you’re aspiring, get some ascenders and aiders. That and your harness is all you need to clean. Hang a rope somewhere and give it a go, no partner needed. Put in some directional pieces to make it harder. Try free hanging and low angle. Do that for a day or two or until it’s not frustrating and tiring. Tie backups to the rope below you and mind the fall potential if the unexpected happens. Then you can clean a wall under a watchful eye, start taking leads, etc.

West Face of Leaning Tower. Do this with any level of proficiency and you’re ready for El Cap. The Tower might be scarier… :)

tick, Cyclotourist, Danmtchl and 3 others like this.
  24. Derkderkall

Derkderkall iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2020 Specialized Fuse 29
    We use Gigglefiber
    Local outfit serving Monrovia Duarte area.

$40 a month, currently at 350 Mbps, although they keep increasing the speed.

I have a YouTube premium account. I use the music streaming service already, so for a few extra dollars we get ad free videos.

Then we have regular Netflix and Disney

Occasionally Amazon or hbo long enough to catch up on missing seasons.

I also have my firestick with Kodi for anything else...

25. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    I have AT&T for internet. Cut the cord a while back so no cable or satellite TV, no landline. I put up an HD OTA antenna so i get 146 channels - mostly in languages I don't speak or understand :facepalm::rolleyes::p. I do have a Netflix account and the wife is an Amazon Prime subscriber (although Prime sucks since you have to pay extra for just about everything on video it seems). But since I don't watch TV more than a couple times a month I don't care.

Though I loathe AT&T as a company, gotta say their internet service is rock-solid and comparatively cheap. I work from home still; the kid was doing college from home and the wife was teaching from the den until recently, and never a lag or service interruption in a year and half. We also never came close to the 1TB data cap when you go internet only. $60/month for blazing fast internet - no complaints on that score.

Spectrum at the in-laws' place - I despise Spectrum more than AT&T. And they cost more, too.

26. da big hills

da big hills iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    cagey
    Current Bike:
    enduro 29
    Hey the leaning tower is Yosemite valley same place as my avatar. I am into the waterfall, it is among the tallest in the world @ over 2400 ft when you add the lower and the cataract in between. Some venture down there, less return.

Old&InTheWay likes this.
  27. AKAKTM

AKAKTM Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tony A
    YouTube TV even though I don't like giving Alphabet/Google more money and knowledge. Also have AppleTV+ for free and Prime with Amazon Prime, which has been much better than expected.

Spectrum cable internet 100 down/30 up. No fiber in our area.

Cyclotourist likes this.
  28. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    I wouldn't say I am aspiring. It is something I do for fun and cross training. I am willing to do more, but I just don't have the desire to spare that much time to get into it that much. Between running, bikes, and getting back on the race track (soon), I just have too much on my plate with things I enjoy.

But if a trusted friend invites me to go try something, I'll do it.

PS, I dated a girl for a short period of time who nearly died at JT. A long time climber with a lot of experience who made a complacent mistake.

herzalot and mike like this.
  29. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Smart approach. Those kind of “sports” can be pretty consuming. Going under the tutelage of another climber is the time-tested way to learn and have fun. I’ve driven that bus a lot. Once you get a taste for rope soloing you don’t want to give up the leads. :cool: I’ve also been the cleaner for entire wall routes, it’s a blast running support.

I try to do a grade 5 or two a year, usually my regular partners but I’m hip to noob exuberance on the team. You seem like a person who could cut it and be an asset. Keep it in mind for autumn. Safety first (cough)…can you trust me??? :eek::D

Yes, we were talking about TV… :whistling:

Obsidian likes this.
  30. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    Rope is like cable...

mike, Obsidian and DangerDirtyD like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?