Banging my head with a hammer

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by uzziboy, May 27, 2021.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. uzziboy

uzziboy Member

Name:
    aaron
    Current Bike:
    Intense tracer 275 carbon
    Here comes the grumpy old man. RANT WARNING!!

Was riding Aliso today. Here are my observations in the time frame of an hour and a half.

/rant

1 A group of hikers (albeit kids with one adult) completely taking up the entirety of west ridge coming down. I kindly reminded them of the rules that they should remain on the left side of trail. For courtesy and safety.
    2. Ebikes galore. I’m over getting angry with these ppl. But still illegal
    3. At least 3 dogs non leashed.

So I’m wondering how far do we go in regards to tolerating this behavior? Where do we draw the line on what will make us say something to these people?

Im not angry by any means. With such blatant disregard for the rules, besides banging my head with a hammer, how can we solve these problems? Or am i just overreacting? Just asking.

/rant over

Cyclotourist, mike, Mikie and 8 others like this.
  2. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    It can't be solved by rational thought or discourse. It's a county park, therefore the proletariat will inhabit it and claim ownership.

The clueless shall inherit the earth.

Cyclotourist, uzziboy, mike and 4 others like this.
  3. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    Solution: run into e-bike at full force. Fall over... "ouch my neck hurts". Sue for $250,000 for riding an illegal motorized vehicle in County Park. OC Register picks up the story and it makes the weekend news. Suddenly e-bikes disappear from Aliso.

Problem solved.

Cyclotourist, uzziboy, Mikie and 9 others like this.
  4. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Except no one reads the Register. And the entitled bunch outnumber you 1,000 to one.

Cyclotourist, uzziboy, Mikie and 2 others like this.
  5. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Unfortunately, this is how humanity functions these days. Anything goes. People consider their own needs, before they consider needs of others, because they believe that others would do the same thing. That's a terrible attitude. I see the exact same thing on the trails in my area.

And the roads, good Lord, the roads. I get nearly run off the road while driving every single day now. Drivers pass me on the right in the bike lane!!! Cars don't stop at red lights when making a turn. Cars don't stop at stop signs either. Freakin' nuts!!!

Cyclotourist, uzziboy, Mikie and 5 others like this.
  6. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Yep. The world has gone mad. Walking, running, riding, driving or whatever I'm doing, I HAVE THE RIGHT OF WAY!

Cyclotourist, uzziboy, bvader and 5 others like this.
  7. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    :laugh:

Cyclotourist, Mikie, Danmtchl and 2 others like this.
  8. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    I am noticing this everywhere as well and by "this" I mean "I will do whatever the hell I want to do, whenever and wherever I want to do it." I see it at school with parents who won't follow or support any policy or rule they don't agree with. Hell even staff who disagree with a policy won't follow it, knowing that they are protected from consequences.

And we know the national mood - if you don't like the rules regarding safety, and some asshat on TV/social media/radio told you to disobey, then go for it. It's your right! Mad at somebody? SHOOT 'em! Mad at social injustice? LOOT 'em and burn it down!

There is no interdependence - only independence. We are no longer willing to do something for the good of others or for the greater good. We as a nation have regressed to petulant teenagers who demand freedom without any responsibility or social obligation. If you do demonstrate concern for others, you are labeled weak. Ironic in the case of e-mt bikes.

xhuskr, Cyclotourist, uzziboy and 7 others like this.
  9. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Welcome to Generation Me.

Cyclotourist, uzziboy, Mikie and 3 others like this.
  10. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Except when we apply something to a generation it's usually the 20 somethings that are demonstrating that value. In the case of my rant above, it's the full range of generations from the 20 somethings through the septuagenarians.

uzziboy, Mikie, Danmtchl and 2 others like this.
  11. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    I actually don't see the 70+ people living this lifestyle. I do see them responding in shock and dismay as they see it going on around them though.

12. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:

Yeah, even the old farts have ascended into Generation Me.

13. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    getting old...

Cyclotourist and Mikie like this.
  14. Dirtrider....

Dirtrider.... Well-Known Member

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley V4
    ebikes will not be off our local trails any time soon... here is a response I received today from an OC Parks ranger for the O'Neil park:

Paul,

Thank you for your e-mail. Ebikes are a complicated issue. OC parks allows them on some paved regional trails only. However, current ADA laws allows anyone with a mobility disability to use an ebike or other motorized device to access the trails. During the COVID-19 pandemic, there has been an explosion in sales of ebikes. We will continue to enforce individuals against unsafe operation, such as excessive speed. If a user is riding in an unsafe manner, please call the main park office line to report.

Thank you for your understanding.

Russell Eaton

Park Ranger II | O’Neill Regional Park

OC Parks

30892 Trabuco Canyon Road

Trabuco Canyon, CA 92678

Looks like the ADA laws are allowing this issue to explode and compound. I wonder how long it will take for the OC Parks department to just shut down the entire trails to bikes as a whole?!

Ride the trails before they get shut down entirely.

15. da big hills

da big hills iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    cagey
    Current Bike:
    enduro 29
    yeah E BIKES. This reminds me of the cell phone outrage. It made people text instead. E BIKES are here and here to stay. So get with the program and except it. Getting mad over a trail user is just wasting your Karma on something beyond your control.
    Happy evenings on the single track trails
    BTW There is no left/right rule for trail users. I always try to yield standing on the uphill side of the trail, and always climb on the downhill side

16. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    Money talks. You guys live in California, after all. A few injury lawsuits against e-bikers and they will be gone. They won't be able to hide behind ADA bullshit when they are dragged to court.

Cyclotourist, uzziboy and Mikie like this.
  17. jimbowho

jimbowho Well-Known Member

Name:
    james jim jimmy
    Current Bike:
    GT sensor
    I'm at superior-Market. Old woman my age and maybe her very old mom hogging the isle reading oatmeal labels deciding which size to get. I'm in no hurry, but after a minute and they clearly see me waiting I ask if I can grab an oatmeal. They part ways, I grab oats and say in a friendly tone "you know you should get the big one" The 60-ish year old meany says ((Is their anything else you'd like to order me to do?))

Daughter at WalMart. Lady with full cart in front of my daughter started screaming for the manager when a cashier asked my kid with two items in her hand to come to the new isle opening up. Chloee said its ok and went ten isles over to get away.

Its not just idiots and a-holes on the trail. It's Ca and hate, and me me me dipsticks. Were in big trouble. I'll stop there..

18. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    We need to adapt, take over, or GTFO. I have been struggling with my desire to ride vs. not riding lately.

I feel like I will have my mojo back soon ... and it is more in the realm of get the F* out of my way. I am tired of saying nice words I do not mean.

19. jimbowho

Name:
    james jim jimmy
    Current Bike:
    GT sensor
    Perfect candidate for awesome night lights.

Cyclotourist, Mikie and Obsidian like this.
  20. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    That is a response from someone who hasn't actually read the ADA laws. You cannot discriminate against those with disabilities by asking what the disability is....BUT....you can ask for proof of a disability. Similar to Handycap Placards you see parked in the blue stalls in parking lots.

Cyclotourist, Mikie, tick and 4 others like this.
  21. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    I don't know what that means. However, I will have my mojo back soon .....count on that.

Cyclotourist, Mikie, Danimal and 2 others like this.
  22. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Ride at night. No assh***s out…

Except the Luge. I’ve seen conga lines out there at night. o_O:confused:

Cyclotourist, bvader, Mikie and 3 others like this.
  23. jimbowho

Name:
    james jim jimmy
    Current Bike:
    GT sensor
    REALLY? That actually sounds like fun.

Cyclotourist, Mikie and Faust29 like this.
  24. -ROCKY-

-ROCKY- Well-Known Member

Name:
    Rocky
    Aw man, this sucks so many ways I can't count. I'm seeing it all also in the streets. Just today I was thinking this situation is going to get the best of me. The old part sure hurts, but somehow this thread is a little calming.. Ok I didn't age 25 years in a few months..

25. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    A few years back, @mtnbikej and I were doing a weekly night ride- almost always Maple to Motorway. We hardly saw a soul. It was serene.

One week we did STT and the Luge… There was an organized ride of at least 30 people. We were weaving in and out of lights the entire way… So many people it was comical and sad at the same time. :D

26. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    Sounds awfully similar to the GE ride with Mikie when Sara and friends were, shall we say, not happy with a 30 person conga line interrupting their ride on a normally empty trail.

By their looks you'd think I was on an ebike, blasting speed metal on the speaker and wearing a speedo . :sneaky::)
    ( not that I've done that or anything :whistling:)

27. sir crashalot

sir crashalot iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    Pretty sure whats in italics is false. Right?

28. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    I will remind you that many of our politicians who have fomented a retreat to selfishness, division and hatred are in their 70s. And many of those who took down the American flag to replace it with their favorite cult leader were in their 60s.

Oaken, Walleye, xhuskr and 4 others like this.
  29. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    There are also a few of us who fought for the Flag in the early 90's .... Shield, Storm, Enduring Freedom, Kuwait, Iraq, Somalia ....

F@ck the politicians ... when you are in the military you have no real choice.

Cyclotourist, uzziboy, Mikie and 3 others like this.
  30. da big hills

da big hills iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    cagey
    Current Bike:
    enduro 29
    my new flag is flying all weekend.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?