In Other News

Discussion in 'Free Zone' started by -ROCKY-, Nov 26, 2018.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    And it didn't take too long....

April 24:
    20210424_122153.jpg

Today:
    20210501_133600.jpg

2. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Danmtchl, Mikie, H2oChick and 6 others like this.
  3. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    LOL that's pretty funny. I don't even find that intimidating - clearly the person who placed it there has never seen a downed pine tree with 8" spikes along the log where the dead branches were sheared off.

Someone needs to send this photo to Danny Macaskill so he can make a video riding all over it :)

Redman, Danmtchl, Mikie and 5 others like this.
  4. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    I like your thinking!

5. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    As long as he doesn’t do 400 takes… That log slide was painful to watch!

Dude must be made out of rubber… :eek:

Danmtchl, Mikie, herzalot and 2 others like this.
  6. da big hills

da big hills iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    cagey
    Current Bike:
    enduro 29
    Its Cinco De Mayo a Cali holiday to get us prepared for our immediate future here in Cali.
    Happy fiesta trails

Danmtchl, Mikie, Danimal and 2 others like this.
  7. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    Me and my son in law are talking...

Son in law: I'm going to get an eBike. They're super fun, you should get one and we can go ride.

Me: you're 30 years old, don't be a pussy.

8. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    Pendejo

Danmtchl, Mikie and Sasquatch9billion like this.
  9. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    :Roflmao:Roflmao:Roflmao

He should definitely wait until he's 50... :whistling:

Danmtchl, Voodoo Tom, Mikie and 4 others like this.
  10. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    Haha....wait 'til he's 60 and see...

11. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    I raced an e-bike for about 20 minutes yesterday. I didn't know he was on an e-bike, and he caught up to me when I had to dismount to get over a tree down across the trail. Since I rarely see anyone on the trails, I took off at (what to me was) my warp speed, expecting to leave him far behind. I got far enough ahead that I couldn't see him anymore, and then I hit a series of uphill switchbacks and suddenly there he was again. I hit a downhill section and pulled away until I couldn't see him again... and then the next climb there he was. I tried to stay out in front, and then after a bit realized that I was spending so much time worrying about it that it was ruining my ride. So at the top of the next hill I put a foot down and let him cruise by. At least ten years younger than I was... on an e-bike. I don't get it... but at the same time they are allowed on the trails here, so what can you do :) At least I got a good workout staying out in front of him :)

I would feel kinda embarrassed if I was on an e-bike and couldn't catch up to the guy in front of me who was on a regular mountain bike :)

Danmtchl, scan, Voodoo Tom and 8 others like this.
  12. -ROCKY-

-ROCKY- Well-Known Member

Name:
    Rocky
    Hi all! I hope everyone is well!! I've been ok. No bike stories though. Oh wait, a year after asking my cousin to get on a bike, he just bought a beach cruiser! :)

13. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    The Rocky thread! Glad you're okay!
    Don't delete any posts, m'kay!

14. -ROCKY-

-ROCKY- Well-Known Member

Name:
    Rocky
    Thanks @Cyclotourist ! Wait.. delete posts?? :confused:

15. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    The e-bikes companies are pushing the idea that a rider can ride longer on an e-bike. That's their reasoning for an average/capable rider riding one.

16. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    I just tried a Google search of "why do I need an e-bike versus a regular bike?".

Every benefit I agreed with had to do with commuting/city riding. As far as mountain biking goes, the only thing that makes sense is "because it's easier". But then again, I track calories when I ride, so anything that would cause me to burn fewer calories, or get less of a cardio workout for the same amount of time, would be counter-productive.

But I am clearly not their target audience.

herzalot, ~JB~, mtnbikej and 5 others like this.
  17. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Yes, exactly. Since it's "easier", the rider will ride farther/longer. Or so, that's what the e-bike companies are claiming.

18. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    So if I ride 4 hours... and an e-bike has you burning calories at 40% (or less) the rate that you would burn on a regular bike, the advantage is that you can ride for 10 hours and get the same workout? :) Doesn't sound like much of an advantage :)

Of course, I am simply poking holes in their argument. They are arguing that if you normally get tired after an hour, that perhaps you will be able to ride for three. But they still won't/can't address the underlying physics that the reason you don't get tired is because the motor is doing the majority of the work, and because it is doing the work, you aren't burning the calories and getting the cardio benefit. What they REALLY should be saying is - ride an e-bike if it gets you on the trails.

Danmtchl, Danimal, ~JB~ and 2 others like this.
  19. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

Yeah, they had to change the “it’s great for the bike and disabled “ initial ad campaign when they realized they wouldn’t be able to sell enough to that demographic.

20. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    The e-bike companies are claiming that you will burn more calories (compared to a human powered bike) simply because you are on the e-bike for a longer period. What a load of BS. Clearly, those companies don’t have a clue what climbing the San Gabes is all about. You can only go so far in/on the San Gabes and you’ll burn far more calories if you’re pushing the cranks the natural way. Id like to see the side by side stats, lol.

Danmtchl, BonsaiNut, ~JB~ and 2 others like this.
  21. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    The only thing worse than no math is bad math :)

Next we'll be hearing that because e-bikes weigh more, you burn more calories on the downhills :rolleyes:

22. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    :Roflmao:laugh:

Danmtchl and Cyclotourist like this.
  23. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    I concur.

Danmtchl and Cyclotourist like this.
  24. jimbowho

jimbowho Well-Known Member

Name:
    james jim jimmy
    Current Bike:
    GT sensor
    My buddy lives in Henderson. He ditched his Stumpy for an E-bike. He's an X super go fast Moto guy, and occasional Triathlon entrant. I give him sht, and his reply is basically "shut up I got nothing left to prove I'm fat and ride in the desert" I still tease him but I give him a pass.
    Saturday (my last time) in the SFV, an E-biker annoyed the hell out of me on Sherman way. Why? Because he was making better time than me in my Van..

25. Agent Orange

Agent Orange Member

Name:
    Yokel Legend
    Current Bike:
    '98 Specialized FSR Comp
    It's doubtful you'll ever see actual numbers, at least not before e-bike makers have cashed-in for a while. Marketers are very careful not to say anything they can be held to. That's why they use words like "better" and not best and "more" instead of most. They have to prove their product is best or has/does the most whereas it is easily argued to be better than some cheaper example and burns more calories than riding a regular bike for two minutes.

I can kind of see how it's possible even if it's negligible. There are plenty of people out there that would probably ride too hard and give up/turn back sooner. They might tend to get more cumulative exercise by spending more time at lower exertion than the short intense ride did for them. However, it still sounds like the marketing is partly about making exercise physically easier, which is stupid if I ever heard it.

Related: the guy at a dealer who took my (soon thereafter cancelled) preorder for a bike I wouldn't see before May 2022 mentioned in passing that he rides an e-bike. He was conspicuously quick to justify it with "I have a fairly long commute" as if he expected to be judged for it.

26. jimbowho

jimbowho Well-Known Member

Name:
    james jim jimmy
    Current Bike:
    GT sensor
    I know your new Mr. fsr but its against policy/rules to not divulge brand and model of any attempt of future bike purchases.

Danmtchl and Faust29 like this.
  27. Agent Orange

Agent Orange Member

Name:
    Yokel Legend
    Current Bike:
    '98 Specialized FSR Comp
    I didn't want "attempted purchase of a road bike" on my permanent record so soon. :facepalm:

OTHRider, Danmtchl, Faust29 and 7 others like this.
  28. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Supply chain issues have not receded. I took my new car in yesterday to have the new hitch installed on it. Ordered two weeks ago. It had not arrived - and so I wait.

Danmtchl, Cyclotourist and Faust29 like this.
  29. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    What made me believe it was reasonable to lift an unreasonably heavy and awkward box of shite off the ground? Penalty for bad decisions. I’m not here to complain, but my back is fukked up. Idiotic; totally avoidable.

Danimal, Walleye, fos'l and 9 others like this.
  30. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Another no-like like... :poop:

fos'l, Danmtchl, mike and 4 others like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?