WTB: unicorn or cheap bike

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by siata94, May 4, 2021.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. siata94

siata94 Well-Known Member

Name:
    siata
    Current Bike:
    lazy goat
    Asking for my friends... because my retired friends want me to ride with them along the beach at a leisurely pace a couples times a month... I need a medium. Desirable would be disc brakes. Highly desirable would be front suspension. I can't ride anything with a drop bar...

2. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I have a medium road bike hanging in the garage… A carbon Schwinn with 105 level stuff, but it has the squiggly bars you don’t care for.

Danmtchl, siata94 and Cyclotourist like this.
  3. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    I used to buy total junkers for $20-$40 at thrift stores and spend $100-$200 at local bike shops to get them running. It is worth considering if you don’t get any other leads.

4. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    He could throw some simple flatbars on it. And new shifters. And new brake levers...

5. Sasquatch9billion

Sasquatch9billion iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    trinidad j. mendez
    Try giving Coco's Variety a call or subscribing to their newsletter. They refurb some cool bikes or even pass along the cheaper ones they don't think are worth the work or cost. The owner also finds and sells cool old random stuff.

Edit: Just saw this Large coaster brake, SS in their email blast: $350
    I'd slide that down the beach boardwalk!
    d99bad60-f193-4d1a-8d92-c7c83a3f2c59.jpg

6. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    The BikeBBQ in Redlands just had this donated today. No discs, but I think it'll be okay riding along the beach :)

S7KCBeXpMdXsig?viewBox=1896%2C1081&ownerId=A1BIR4MZDE1B8O&groupShareToken=E6mI1_m0Sy-eveHOXQtxWw.jpg

~JB~, siata94, Grassblade23 and 3 others like this.
  7. Grassblade23

Grassblade23 Member

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Surly Karate Monkey
    Those older, US made Cannondale frames had the aluminum welds ground so that they looked fillet brazed. Hopelessly obsolete, but some beautiful frames.

8. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    My wife had an R400 for a while, amazing beautiful bike!

Grassblade23 and siata94 like this.
  9. siata94

Name:
    siata
    Current Bike:
    lazy goat
    Thanks for the leads... I've been watching YT on budget bikes and stumbled upon SamPilgrim videos...

Maybe there is stock at Walmart or maybe I should try to cobble together something... I have a 120mm tapered fork, a set of 29" wheels... Maybe I need to find a HT frame... Looking at used Epic/Anthem... should've kept the 2014 Epic... It's annoying that budget bikes from big brands don't even have tapered head tubes...

Cyclotourist and DangerDirtyD like this.
  10. siata94

Name:
    siata
    Current Bike:
    lazy goat
    I checked out CocosVariety... anyone crazy enough to have an A1 GTI race car, and a low mileage 83 GTI, is way cool... Many Sciroccos in the family and I've had many A2 16Vs, both GTIs and GLIs. Fun times...

Cyclotourist likes this.
  11. Grassblade23

Grassblade23 Member

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Surly Karate Monkey
    There are items on craigslist, pinkbike, and offerup, but you have to be quick. Finding something beach appropriate seems like it would be easier, though. Medium HT frames are out there.

Cyclotourist likes this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?