The Bottle Cage Thread

Discussion in 'Hydration Systems' started by Ebruner, Aug 13, 2018.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Ebruner

Ebruner Well-Known Member

Name:
    Erik Bruner
    Current Bike:
    22' Nomad, 22' Trance x 29
    So I'm on a quest to outfit my 2019 Large kona heihei dl 29 with a second bottle cage. I've got a few options on deck and my first goal it to try and fit a second bottle cage within the frame. If that doesn't work I have a few other options I can exercise, but it would be cool to have everything contained.

In attempting to accomplish this, I've realized I need the lowest profile bottle cage I can possibly get. This will avoid any interference between the two bottles. This sent me down a rabbit hole of google chrome tabs and reviews that don't have the info that I'm looking for. What I really need is profile shots of the water bottle cages to tell how close they keep the bottle to the frame.

Anyway, what's your go-to water bottle cage and why.

My typical Go to is the Lezyne Flow SL. They are cheap and light and come either left or right entry/exit. The only problem with them as they tend to scratch the bottles up. I'll post some photos when I get home of what I'm trying to do and these bottle cages for posterity.

So what's your go-to and why?

2. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    This is my go to.....I actually use the older alloy version of this. Allows Suz to use a full size bottle on her S Tallboy and a full size bottle on my L Hightower.

Not sure they are as low profile as what you are looking for.

Sounds like you are looking for something that sits down more flush to the frame. Looks like most cages raise the cage away from the frame.

38896B78-66E3-42A4-BBC6-2FB8F0453554.png

3. Rumpled

Rumpled Well-Known Member

Name:
    Jim Martin
    Current Bike:
    2018 Specialized Epic Carbon C
    Well, bottles are all nominally the same diameter - right?
    Most all cages should be about the same, within just a few mm I would suppose. Key would be side entry.
    So, you'd be looking for the thinnest cage (flat plastic or carbon, not round aluminum?) that has the least stack off the tube.
    Something like where the bolts appear to be countersunk relative to the cage.

On my road bike I have some generic carbon cages that are about as low as could be, but top entry.

On my MTB and CX I have generic Performance aluminum; also top entry.

So, I have no real good suggestions.

Danmtchl, Cyclotourist, mike and 2 others like this.
  4. Ebruner

Ebruner Well-Known Member

Name:
    Erik Bruner
    Current Bike:
    22' Nomad, 22' Trance x 29
    Yeah I'm looking for something strange for sure, I may try some strange options like the fabric cageless bottles etc. I just wanted to throw this thread out there as a: what cages do you prefer type of thing.

Thanks for throwing in the generic carbon idea. I have 2 of those in the parts bin I didn't even consider.

Danmtchl, Cyclotourist, mike and 2 others like this.
  5. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    @Voodoo Tom turned me on to this cage by Specialized called the Z Cage.
    They have left and right specific side load, made of carbon fiber, low profile and hold a bottle wonderfully. Not much head height for a bottle even on my large framed Hightower so this worked perfectly. If you do go this route, make sure you buy the one for which side you grab your bottle from.

Pictured are both left and right specific cages...
    Specialized-Zee-Cage-II-Matte-Black.jpg

Fueledbyex8, Danmtchl, Oaken and 5 others like this.
  6. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
  7. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
  8. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    No left handed use! I'm feeling the righty discrimination. :cautious: Looks cool, though...

If you have to go outside the frame, it's really not that big of a deal. I use the cheap $7 cage from Jensons under the down tube on the Lizard. It's been just about everywhere and it holds well.

9. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    Lezyne Flow for me right now, too. Don't see any scratches on my bottle. Only room for one small (20oz) bottle inside the Ripley's front triangle, so I run another cage underneath. Currently keep a Lezyne tool caddy there with a strap for security. Looking for a different tool option so I can put a 24oz bottle there for longer rides, but will swap out the Flow for a 'full wrap' cage so I can ditch the strap. Unfortunately, that type of cage might require a full pull to extricate the bottle. :bang:

herzalot, Cyclotourist, mike and 2 others like this.
  10. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Magnets... how do they work???

I see what you did there...

Mikie, Danmtchl and mike like this.
  11. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    LOL..I hope they work better than the velcro on the CoolGear bottle/holder I had in the seventies!

kioti, master instigator. :cool: Knowing the popular definition... :oops:

Danmtchl, kioti and Cyclotourist like this.
  12. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Zombie thread ressurection...

I count three water bottle attachments on my new frame, so need to gear up. R-side entry for top of downtube, whatever for under the downtube. Black or gray color; any brand except Special Ed. I've taken to the standard-size Camelbak Podium Dirt bottles, so avoiding any proprietary systems like Fidlock.

Thanks for any more input on cages you like which fit my stringent criteria. :oops::)

Mikie, Danmtchl, Old&InTheWay and 6 others like this.
  13. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Whiskey Carbon, for the inner weight-weenie. I have yet to missilize a bottle using one. They apparently last forever, too. :cool: I've had the same one transferred around three different bikes for about 6 years now.

https://whiskyparts.co/accessories/carbon_cage#/

Mikie, Faust29, Danmtchl and 4 others like this.
  14. HBkites

HBkites Well-Known Member

Name:
    Sharone
    Current Bike:
    Why S7, Revel Rascal, Spark RC

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?