Chino Hills is growing

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by beartooth, Mar 20, 2021.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. beartooth

beartooth Member

Name:
    rob
    Current Bike:
    process111
    Looks like the park is gonna add 1600 acres. Looking at the pictures, It is time to get out there before it gets overgrown.

article

2. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    I've still never been there. Is that a crime?

~JB~, Sasquatch9billion and Faust29 like this.
  3. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    It’s a fun change of pace… Nothing technical, but there are some single tracks that you can carry insane speeds. When it’s green, it looks like Ireland as far as the eye can see.

4. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    No. I live here and have never been there.
    :laugh:

5. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Come to think of it, it’s a great place to train for Koko… It’s easy to put together 8000+ foot routes out there. :gag: :thumbsup:

6. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Can't read the article.....can get through the paywall.

7. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    And, if you are like me - which in many ways it seems you are - you never will. :thumbsup:

I think I am more likely to FLoop before I Chino. :cool:

8. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    And Leon is getting larger!

AfraidTemptingAnkolewatusi-small.gif

9. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    Word. My first 10 mountain bike rides were on Floop ... but it will be a long time before my next 10. :laugh:

Article:

Legislation expanding Chino Hills State Park by about 1,600 acres approved by a key state Senate committee this week would eliminate the threat of homes popping up on the southeastern ridgelines, while preserving rare walnut trees and protecting threatened animal species.

Senate Bill 266, authored by Sen. Josh Newman, D-Fullerton, would require the California Department of Parks and Recreation to incorporate purchased or donated parcels into the park, reversing a policy of not accepting additions to state parks. The measure was unanimously approved by the Senate Committee on Natural Resources and Water on Tuesday, March 16.
    A couple leave after taking in the view from Lower Aliso Canyon Overlook in Chino Hills State Park in Chino Hills on Thursday, March 18, 2021. (Photo by Watchara Phomicinda, The Press-Enterprise/SCNG)

Newman, as well as Hills For Everyone, a Brea-based nonprofit that created the park piece-by-piece in the 1980s and sponsored the bill, have been frustrated by the state’s refusal to accept new land into the 14,107-acre park bordering Los Angeles, San Bernardino, Orange and Riverside counties.

“It is time they started fulfilling their mission,” said Claire Schlotterbeck, executive director and co-founder of the Hills group.

By reversing that state policy, the habitat would be protected and the park — an oasis of rolling hills and hidden canyons for hikers and mountain bikers in the midst of 19 million people — would have finished borders on the eastern edge in the city of Chino Hills in San Bernardino County and on the west in Brea in Orange County.

“The wonderful thing about this park: There aren’t that many places in Southern California where you can be sequestered from development,” said Newman on Wednesday. “In this park you can.”

Parcels to be added include: On the east, 1,200 acres of a former cattle ranch; an additional 400 acres of a nearby eastern ridge, of which 320 acres have been purchased by an environmental group and the remaining 80 acres are scheduled in May to be purchased by the Wildlife Conservation Board (a division of the state Department of Fish and Game); and 11 acres donated in Brea, a swath of land containing walnut woodlands, a rare stand of native trees, explained Schlotterbeck.

The Hills group is pursuing federal and state grants to buy parcels not already purchased. Also, it will have banked about $1.4 million by the end of the year to pay for management of the land, most likely by the Mountains and Rivers Conservation Authority, the same group that oversees the vast Santa Monica Mountains National Recreation Area, Schlotterbeck said.

Some of that money comes from a settlement with Metropolitan Water District which built a road through the park to access a water treatment plant. The road took out dozens of rare Southern California black walnut trees, requiring the wholesale water agency to pay $700,000 to the Hills group, which it is using to save trees by buying and managing these nearby parcels, Schlotterbeck explained.

“The funding, the management has been secured, yet the Department of Parks has not accepted these parcels. It (SB 266) would make it a legal obligation to accept them. This requires no new costs to the state,” Newman said.

The bill is similar to one written by Assemblyman Phillip Chen one year ago that did not get adopted. Chen, R-Brea, has agreed to co-sponsor Newman’s bill, which will need to pass out of the Senate, then the Assembly and gain the governor’s signature.

Both legislators have seen attendance at the park increase during the coronavirus pandemic. On Saturday and Sunday, March 13-14, overflow crowds had to be regulated and cars entering the park were limited. Many were there to view the wildflower bloom.

Ian Vergara, 31, a Chino Hills resident, goes hiking and mountain biking in the park about once a month, he said.

“It feels like another world. Sometimes I’ll stop and just listen to the wildlife; you can feel some solitude. It’s an escape,” he said Wednesday.

The new parcels may include burrowing owls — cute, furry birds that nest underground in squirrel holes, Schlotterbeck said. The owls, listed as a species of special concern, have been driven out of Orange County and are found in Chino and Ontario. Some areas also may contain the California gnatcatcher, a threatened species.

End Article.

10. scan

scan iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    Chino hills much better than the Floop!

11. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    FLoop has some interesting side hits. From what I see, Chino Hills has no rocks, no surface texture (other than a few ruts) no berms, no trees, nothing but smooth open singletrack and fireroad. Not my thing.

But it's great to see more land being reserved rather than being developed. :thumbsup:

12. Rumpled

Rumpled Well-Known Member

Name:
    Jim Martin
    Current Bike:
    2018 Specialized Epic Carbon C
    Good to see not all land being developed. Weird things when State Parks won't take land.
    Article also mentions burrowing owls being gone from OC.
    A quick search shows an article in the same Register from 2019 talking about them in Banning Ranch.
    I swear I've seen some in the last year or so, just can't remember where.

13. Sasquatch9billion

Sasquatch9billion iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    trinidad j. mendez
    Chino hills is boring.
    But, I’ll take a park expansion over development any day.

14. Oaken

Oaken Well-Known Member

Name:
    CeeJay
    It’s an easy park to get into a large area of wilderness with no one else around.
    It has its own charms during winter. To each his own.

15. OTHRider

OTHRider Well-Known Member

Name:
    Duke
    Current Bike:
    '18 Salsa Cutthroat
    The Floop has more fun bits to session and Chino is definitely more fire road and smooth single track. Just a few steps to negotiate. Chino is a gravel rider paradise. It reminds me a lot of the area around Redlands for the Strada Rossa. And Faust29 is spot on about the green hills and potential elevation - climbing Coal Canyon is no joke.

Grassblade23, Danimal, fos'l and 6 others like this.
  16. fos'l

fos'l Well-Known Member

Name:
    Bob
    Current Bike:
    2005 Santa Cruz Superlight
    I love it; must be for old people like my wife and me. Activity on the Green River side is sparse, there are plenty of fun ascents (it's not called Chino Flats) and it's beautiful. Just ask the coyotes; they seem to enjoy it too.

Oaken, Grassblade23, Danimal and 11 others like this.
  17. JordanHMay

JordanHMay Well-Known Member

Name:
    Jordan May
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon
    This is great news. We need more of this. Less homes, more open spaces. Chino is also a gravel bike paradise.

18. JimN

JimN Member

Name:
    JimN
    Current Bike:
    Pivot Switchblade 29er
    Don't live in SoCal anymore, but when I did, I enjoyed getting in at least one long ride at CHSP each year, always when it was green and not yet overgrown. Hard to imagine expansion of the park when the North Ridge trail between Telegraph and Gilman has been closed for, how long? I've lost count of the years. Yes, I know we're dealing with a pandemic. I've read the FAQs and understand the plan, but it makes no sense to me why it remains closed until funding is secured and an entirely new alignment is created. I know that it's susceptible to erosion, but I don't remember anything about it being dangerous in the state I last saw it. Anyone connected to the local trail advocacy know if any progress is being made with this main artery in the park?

19. Earn Your View

Earn Your View Member

Name:
    Bryan
    Current Bike:
    2013 Charge Cooker
    CHSP is one of my favorite places to ride as well. When I ride, I like the feeling of getting away and I get that at CHSP. Many other places feel like Disneyland to me. I personally don't care about technical descents at all, so the trails don't bore me. Also, when everything is green, it's one of the more beautiful places too.

20. beartooth

beartooth Member

Name:
    rob
    Current Bike:
    process111
    I used to ride from Brush Canyon park by riding along the tracks and in lower Aliso, but last time I tried I got turned away by a security guard who was guarding the containers on the parked trains. If anyone knows a way around send me a PM please.

Some of you old timers might remember the Brush Canyon trail that connected to Skully. It was erased after a fire about a decade ago. That was a great non disneyland entrance.

21. fos'l

fos'l Well-Known Member

Name:
    Bob
    Current Bike:
    Park on Green River, and the trains have been separated so you can go through the golf course and across the tracks.

22. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:

Yeah, I’m sure the locals didn’t like us going up Brush Canyon.

I got turned around by the rent a cop last year.

fos'l and OTHRider like this.
  23. fos'l

fos'l Well-Known Member

Name:
    Bob
    Current Bike:
    Rode there today and Brush Canyon is starting to live up to its name. Also, better take a trip on Fenceline while you still can. Immense fun today on Skully clockwise. Couple of hills make an old guy pant a little but knowing my wife, 17 years my junior, was flattening them behind me kept me "charging" (usual glacial pace).

24. Dirtrider....

Dirtrider.... Well-Known Member

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley V4
  25. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    Great…..even more acres of land that CHSP will refuse to maintain.

some of the trails and roads out there are not passable due to the overgrowth of Russian Thistle. And it’s only gonna get worse when they turn into tumbleweeds.

JimN, Danimal and Old&InTheWay like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?