The Automobile Thread

Discussion in 'Free Zone' started by buggravy, Oct 20, 2019.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    Ultimately, that's likely the plan, though I carry relatively high deductibles ($1K), and I need to make sure I don't lose a claim free discount and have my premiums jump up.

2. Rumpled

Rumpled Well-Known Member

Name:
    Jim Martin
    Current Bike:
    2018 Specialized Epic Carbon C
    Is the windshield crack too big to repair?
    My insurance has no deductible if a windshield is repairable.

3. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    VW runs a DSG that is in every way better than a manual, except one: The experience of actually shifting.

I love driving manual, ESPECIALLY in traffic. Traffic is when I dislike an auto the most, I like the additional control. But I also love the occasional heel/toe too. The whole process of rowing the box is just a part of the experience of driving for me. Just noticed that a Type R is being listed locally for $4000 OVER MSRP :gag:

Miata
    Is
    Always
    The
    Answer

4. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    If you’re that committed to a manual, I’d start leaning to the Crosstrek more than otherwise. The CVT in our Outback is a big part of why I want to move on from it.

5. siata94

siata94 Well-Known Member

Name:
    siata
    Current Bike:
    lazy goat
    A friend got the E46 M3 when it came out but he wanted SMG despite always driving manuals (even his Pathfinder was manual). I'd told him that some day you're gonna want to get rid of it, and if you get it in manual, then I'd be interested. 2 decades later, his SMG pump was acting up and estimate is several $K to replace. He offered to give it to me, I told him he should've got the manual. He ended up trading it in and got only a couple Ks for it. Such a waste...

My E36 (manual sedan) has 230K miles and still humming along.

6. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    Does your insurance have a glass replacement clause? I have Farmers and pay a few dollars a month for it and I can get a crack fixed or replace it for $100.

mtnbikej, Old&InTheWay and UPSed like this.
  7. Stkx66

Stkx66 iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower 27+/ 29r
    I had a 1976 Jeep J10 Truck 360. 3 speed with granny gear. I drove it for over 10 years. All original with Levi interior and dealer installed A/C. I bought it from a friend. Great truck until you got into stop and go traffic- stick shift and all. I ended up driving it to Havasu and let my FIL drive it out on trails to preserve his brand new truck he bought after he had just retired and moved there.

1976 Jeep J10 .JPG

8. AKAKTM

AKAKTM Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tony A
    My ride in Montana this week and weekend
    Bronco - 1.jpeg

9. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    So whatcha' think about it? Just saw one in Deadlands this afternoon for the first time.

Danmtchl likes this.
  10. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    What's the rack on top of the crossbars? Ski/snowboard clamp?

Danmtchl likes this.
  11. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    And is Ford already sending them to Hertz (not Herz)?

herzalot and Danmtchl like this.
  12. AKAKTM

AKAKTM Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tony A
    This is the second time the local Ford dealer has loaned me this Bronco Sport. They asked me if I wanted to use it for the week and left it at the airport! Part of Ford's PR campaign to get awareness I suppose.

So far, I like it. It has plenty of power and does surprisingly well in snow and off road. It's comfortable and has most of today's technology in the infotainment and driving assist category. Mileage isn't great and the wind noise is probably the biggest negative--no thanks to that roof rack!

Yes, the roof rack is a rack for skis and snowboards they added for appearance and sportiness.

tick, Danimal, herzalot and 4 others like this.
  13. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    and NOISE!

We used to install fairings with our roof racks, but that has gone out of fashion. Too bad. They work.

Danmtchl, Sidewalk, Rumpled and 3 others like this.
  14. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    I have a fairing and I know how to use it!

38576505512_daab7fb138_b.jpg

Danmtchl, OTHRider, Sidewalk and 7 others like this.
  15. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    Was in communication with a couple dealers. And...I am leaning towards finding another beater vehicle. I hate salespeople.

Stopped by the Subaru dealer yesterday to test drive, it was the vehicle I was most interested in, and the smarter buy. I let him know I am on my way, I will be there soon. I get there and...no Crosstrek. No manual transmission in inventory and no expected delivery dates. So I left and decided I don't want a Crosstrek.

The Jeep dealers have been pretty annoying. I want a base model, and they want me to add fancy electronics because that's all they have in stock. They seemed to lose interest when I mentioned it will likely be an order since I want base and no dealer stock exists. The more Jeep horror stories I hear, the more I am glad I can't find one to test drive.

Type R is going for sticker or more. I know it is worth it, but I don't care about all the "safety" add ons like lane keep and such that are standard and add to the price. And I definitely can't take it camping.

No Veloster N's in stock in SoCal according to the Hyundai website.

No manual transmission Tacoma's in stock.

Basically running out of manual transmission vehicles of interest. At that point, I am better off buying used if I can't buy what I want.

16. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Yes, buy used. You'll save money and get something closer to exactly what you want.

Danmtchl and Sasquatch9billion like this.
  17. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    My only issue with used is the used market seems crazy right now. Quick example, I found a Jeep similar to what I was shopping for, used, for only $3000 less than new. So for $3000 more I can buy something with 0 miles, or save the $3000 and get 40000 miles. And most cars are like that. If I am going to pay 90% of a new car price, I would rather just pay 10% more and be the only owner. I did the same for Tacoma's, and they are just as bad. Used prices are nearly exact MSRP.

18. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    I have a buddy that works directly with Hyundai. He's checking on an N for you. Any preference on color?

Edit: His buddy's SEMA car is for sale. 8k miles. $30k OBO. As you could imagine, it's been modified already. Wheels, brakes and tune.

received_1655127854698328.jpeg

Danmtchl, scan, mtnbikej and 5 others like this.
  19. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Tough situation to be in. Like everything else, there is great demand during the pandemic. Good luck in your search.

20. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    Super appreciated. Right now it is just an interest, can't claim I am a serious buyer (yet).

(though my fear with a car like that I will just be an idiot on the road)

WHy is it for sale?

Luckily for me I am in the position of not needing it. I just really want. I need to just be more patient. I don't want to dig too deep into my ambulance build without a backup vehicle to at least do parts runs with.

Danmtchl, mtnbikej and UPSed like this.
  21. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    SEMA show car. They build a new car every year.

Danmtchl, mtnbikej and Sidewalk like this.
  22. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    Hmmm...

2020?

Danmtchl and UPSed like this.
  23. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO

Danmtchl and Sidewalk like this.
  24. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    That is an odd list of cars to be cross shopping. Type R vs. Veloster N I get, but not with the Jeep, Tacoma and Crosstrek. :gag:. No interest in a WRX or WRX STi? AWD for dirt/snow & manual transmission ... I have been thinking about one myself.

The 400Z will be out soon, and is available with a stick. It will easily outrun the Civic R & Veloster N. Hard to pin down the HP at this point, but I have heard 400 to 452. Twin turbo V6, so easily modded for more power if needed. They have already started arriving at the L.A. docks.

Even with cars that come with an available stick, they can be hard to find. I went through 5 dealerships before I found a 370Z with stick. I had an S2000 before the Z, and the beauty of that car was that it only came with stick, so no women drivers. :facepalm: Joking ... sort of.

25. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    If you can find a Type R for sticker you should buy 2. I've done zero research on it, but am hearing anecdotally that mark ups will likely be in the $25K - $30K range, and supposedly an OC dealer already had the audacity to put one on the showroom floor for a flat $100k. Lunacy.

26. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    Agreed on buying two, although you can find them for sticker or slightly above.

Get one to drive, and put one in the garage and never drive it, because in 20 years it will be going for $150,000 plus inflation. Just look at the Integra Type-R's and extremely low mileage S2000's on BringATrailer, which are going for insane amounts.

One of my friends is trying to acquire a zero mile Civic Type-R, which he intends to garage until his retirement, then sell.

27. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    When I bought my Tacoma in 2019, there was plenty of inventory and the used market was the same. A truck a year or two old was only a couple of grand less than something new.

28. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    Hatchbacks man. Type R and Veloster are hot hatches. Can't put a 170mm bike in the back of a WRX. And the WRX is known for understeer at the track.

And how often am I driving in snow in SoCal? I can count on one hand...zero. They are definitely not off road vehicles; they are lower than my Fiesta and I cracked my oil pan on Skyline 2N10 in Big Bear (maybe technically 2N07 actually).

Type R/Veloster can't go off road, but at least they are useful the rest of the time and fun on the track.

Jeep, Taco, and Crosstrek are all manual transmission utility vehicles. Crosstrek and toyota are bland, especially the Subaru. But at least the Subie is cheap. Taco isn't though, and loaded with stuff I don't care about.

Here was the Jeep dealer a few minutes ago. Sent a message to the Toyota dealer and just got a generic response. Must be a sellers market.

Screenshot_20210325-192348.png

mtnbikej, Cyclotourist, UPSed and 2 others like this.
  29. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    My 370Z is essentially a hatchback with no back seat. I can get a 165 travel bike inside it with the wheels off. RWD, so it does not understeer. The fat ass back end does that sexy type slide that I also love on my mountain bikes. It is not made for off road, but I can slowly navigate to the base of San Juan. Carefully.

The other argument for the Type-R, Veloster N, WRX, or 400Z is .... most great mountain bike trails are accessed by great roads. Ortega Highway to San Juan, Live Oak Canyon to The Luge, that one road to SkyPark, any road into Big Bear, etc. Sometimes the drive there and back is better than the bike ride.

30. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    I would say, go test drive the Automatic Jeep. If you like it, tell them it was fun and you loved it ... but you really need a manual. They will find one for you, trust me.

mtnbikej, Cyclotourist and Danmtchl like this.