Pedals: Flats or Clip In

Discussion in 'Pedals' started by Geetarguy, Feb 4, 2021.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

?

What kind of pedals should I put on my new Trek Fuel EX 7?

1. FLAT

29.4%
  2. CLIP IN

70.6%
  1. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    I switched to flats on the Sutra. For about a week. My shins will never be the same.

@DangerDirtyD got them, he thinks they're tzatziki on a gyro. :thumbsup:

I went back to clipless.

2. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Thank you @Geetarguy for saying Clip In and not Clipless. :thumbsup:

The grossly inaccurate term "clipless" - applied in 1989 - needs to die.

3. Geetarguy

Geetarguy Member

Name:
    Geetarguy
    Current Bike:
    Trek Fuel EX 7
    Truth!

Danmtchl likes this.
  4. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    :facepalm::laugh:

Danmtchl and bvader like this.
  5. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    FTR advice given freely to me which in retro was very good advice

if you are a .... "Clipped In" .....rider and you want to try flats ... Minimum 10 real rides before you can really assess...

1 or 2 rides is the worst way to assess.

Pre- flats... Clipped in from 1993 to 2017

Both have their pros / cons...

I do think it's is worth learning to ride both... For me Riding flats helped me become a better rider as I learned that I was relying on the clips to keep me and the bike together in the chunk.. in the air

Now I am one with the bike.

Funny before I rode flats... Subconsciously I looked at flats as for people that didn't want to commit etc... Now I see that differently

Just a perspective

Danmtchl, mtnbikej, OTHRider and 3 others like this.
  6. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Well stated. :thumbsup:

Danmtchl, Faust29 and Geetarguy like this.
  7. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Ahhhhh, so being clipped in is for losers and hacks who don't want to be "one" with their bike! Got it. :thumbsup: :whistling:

OK, just poking the bear. :sneaky:

Flats are a certain kind of commitment. Clips are a certain kind of commitment. Neither makes you or prevents you from being one with your bike. Don't believe me? Watch some Remy Metallier videos. Oh and some DH races. Then report back on how those riders are not at one with their bikes.

But I agree that if you are used to being clipped in, you would need to do at least a dozen rides on flats before you could assess the real differences. And those rides need to include both climbing and descending in chunk. And maybe some jumps or drops....

After doing that recently, I decided I am a loser hack who prefers clips for all-around riding. :(

8. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    Ok I'll poke back ;)

I learned many years ago to not compare anything I do from a sports perspective to elite / pros in the sport... they operate on a completely different plane.
    Remy (huge fan) could probably ride in flip flops and a bare spindle and out ride every rider on this forum.

Me personally I did not ride BMX etc when I was a kid I was a stick and ball guy so I never learned any of those skills and started on bikes clipped.

And yup I was a loser for 24 years ;) ..... of course my previous self would think I am a loser now... I am sooooo confused.

Danmtchl, tick, mtnbikej and 6 others like this.
  9. Luis

Luis iMTB Addict

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    La Diabla
    The answer to the question is YES

Danmtchl, mtnbikej, herzalot and 2 others like this.
  10. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Damn kids.....get off my lawn.

Danmtchl, Faust29, xhuskr and 2 others like this.
  11. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

Danmtchl, Faust29 and Old&InTheWay like this.
  12. Lost Kiwi

Lost Kiwi Well-Known Member

Name:
    Simon
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    After my first ride on flats in probably 20 years yesterday I'm glad to see this. By the end of the ride I was starting to feel a bit more comfortable but to start with I was nearly ready to throw them in the bin. Climbing felt ordinary - I have a tendency to pull up on the backstroke and that of course can't happen with flats. I was getting pedal strikes everywhere because they are so much wider. Also had a moment when I tried to flick the back wheel and my foot just came clean off, realised I relied on being clipped in to make that happen.
    I actually found getting air on the flats I felt a lot more in control which is odd because I thought it would have been the exact opposite. I'm going to persevere with them for now, I can already see how they are helping me identify areas where I need to improve my (lack of) skills which being clipped in had masked.

There will be an epic dummy spit rage quit moment coming the first time I take a hit from these things to my shins though :Roflmao

Luis, herzalot, Ocpop and 8 others like this.
  13. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    Flats when I am getting sendy. Clip in when I am racing.

Luis, Ocpop, Danmtchl and 9 others like this.
  14. Geetarguy

Geetarguy Member

Name:
    Geetarguy
    Current Bike:
    Trek Fuel EX 7
    First ride on new bike the other day...and first time on flats since BMX days....I'm liking the flats so far :)

herzalot, Ocpop, Danmtchl and 5 others like this.
  15. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
  16. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    If it works, that's a monumental breakthrough. I've always maintained that being clipped in is easier on your joints because the foot can pivot laterally a little while your leg makes the circle of the pedal stroke. I'm not sure about the durability of the joint that pivots on this pedal. I hope it's great and starts a "revolution" in pedal design.

17. Sasquatch9billion

Sasquatch9billion iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    trinidad j. mendez
    I miss the days when everyone who rode flats was considered a newb or a wiener.

Walleye and herzalot like this.
  18. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    That was never the case. Some of the very best riders were/are on flats (Sam Hill, Chris Kovarik, Brendan Fairclough and many others). And of course, you can't ride clipped in for slopestyle or Rampage. Most racers ride clipped in however, for obvious reasons.

19. Sasquatch9billion

Sasquatch9billion iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    trinidad j. mendez
    That was always my read in the Y2K years. I couldn’t tell you who rides clipped or flat professionally. I don’t pay attention to pro sports of any kind.
    I’ll bet you if they were offered enough money any pro in any discipline of cycling would switch pedal types and start singing that style’s praises.

Granted, everyone has their price. We had a Psych. teacher in HS who would always say, " You can buy an A from me anytime, but, I guarantee you it's going to be incredibly expensive."

20. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    I disagree. There were only certain riders who would ride flats. It had nothing to do with what they were paid and everything to do with what worked for them. You couldn't pay Greg Minnaar enough to ride flats, and you couldn't pay Sam Hill enough to ride clipped in. Neither would perform well, rendering them irrelevant.

dssgaffler and Sasquatch9billion like this.
  21. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    Still the case at the local, casual rider level. I still get comments from randoms on the trails who are seemingly bewildered that I am on flats.

22. Y-not

Y-not Well-Known Member

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Pivot Mach 6, Litespeed SS
    I may remove my toe straps and give flats a try....lol

23. Walleye

Walleye Well-Known Member

Name:
    Bill P.
    Current Bike:
    Trek Fuel EX7
    I was forced to ride flats on the bike I rented in Christchurch NZ -no bueno! Felt like all parts of me were being jostled on the chunky trail sections. Clipped in is my security blanket.

scan and Obsidian like this.
  24. sir crashalot

sir crashalot iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    Flats for life here

25. Stkx66

Stkx66 iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower 27+/ 29r
    Clip-ins? Never tried them. I can think of numerous instances where I would've fallen over with clip-ins. Flats for me. I'm clumsy at best.

26. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5, Ripley & Mojo 4
    My research over 35 years of riding, 29 of them on Shimano SPD's, is that 98% of those clipped in will admit they have fallen over at some point or another when they were unable to get their foot out. The other 2% are liars. The key is not falling over or not being able to get unclipped when it might be incredibly dangerous to do so. Fortunately, that's usually the case.

27. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Flats-4-ever-more here (was once a clipless rider)

28. Walleye

Walleye Well-Known Member

Name:
    Bill P.
    Current Bike:
    Trek Fuel EX7
    Totally agree with you, Mike. And yet, I feel so much more stable while being 'glued' to the bike. 'Was a beartrap guy for decades, so the SPD's seem much less dangerous! On the NZ ride ( a Specialized Rockhopper, so the change from full sus was another variable in the equation), I found myself dabbing WAY more than usual, a) because I could, and b) because my lower half was being bounced around so much. Maybe I'm conflating things?

scan, Obsidian and mtbMike like this.
  29. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5, Ripley & Mojo 4
    Nahhhh....most people feel better clipped in. The first time I rode "not clipped in" was when I forgot my SPD shoes and had to ride on my SPD pedals with tennis shoes; quite the experience. When I finally tried flats in 2017, it took a solid 6 months to adapt and 6 years later, I still occasionally lift my foot because my brain was so adapted to "pulling up" on the SPD pedals at times. I've had a couple long time SPD folks here in Prescott try flats. One lasted one day and the other about 3 weeks before giving up.

Walleye likes this.
  30. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    21 SSSSSSSSSlash!
    I believe he term clippless is referring to the old over the shoe pedal clips that were used eons ago.

scan and herzalot like this.