St George trail recommendations

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by steve447, Feb 8, 2021.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. steve447

steve447 Member

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Intense Tracer 275C
    Headed to St George area at the weekend and looking for 2-3 hr trail ride recommendation. Riding solo so no double black for me this trip!! I’m comfortable riding in Sedona so don’t mind some exposure/rocks.
    Thanks

2. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Paging... @Im Livin the Dream ... Paging... @Cougar ...

Recommendations needed on aisle 3 stat. :p

3. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    You'll have to loop some things together to get 2-3 hours. Seems like most rides out there are about 1 hour.

4. Bluesrider

Bluesrider Well-Known Member

Name:
    Todd
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower
    This area is really fun and you can loop alot together for a solid ride. If you avoiding black trails just skip Suicidal Tendencies.

F8FBDB2A-5B0C-4FB9-AEC5-E3C97FDB2359.png

5. CBone

CBone iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Tucker
    Current Bike:
    Intense Primer
    Lots of trails in the Bearclaw Poppy area. Lots of stuff to play on like the Three Fingers of Death, the Acid Drops and Clavicle Hill. Not as bad as they sound and you can have some fun. Take a look at Trailforks.

6. CBone

CBone iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Tucker
    Current Bike:
    Intense Primer
    Oops. I should have looked at @Bluesrider post. Same general area

7. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Zen, baby, Zen. Gotta add some Zen to the ride.

8. steve447

steve447 Member

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Intense Tracer 275C
    Thanks for all the replies. I’ll take a look at those recommendations...

9. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    zen is fine.. but the two times I've been there, no locals... so asked local where is good stuff? they recommended a different area... only trail name i remember is suicidal tendencies... about 15 minutes away from zen area... liked it more than zen...

10. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:

All those trails are in the same general area....Grass Valley....just different sides of it.

then again, during True Grit, we ride from one end to the other....so my perspective might be a bit....skewed.

konakc, Sidewalk, Faust29 and 2 others like this.
  11. CBone

CBone iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Tucker
    Current Bike:
    Intense Primer
    Green Valley no?

Bluesrider likes this.
  12. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    Green Valley/ Grass Valley....it’s all the same to me. :D

13. doublewide

doublewide iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallcan
    I think it's actually Green Grass Valley... It's better over there.

Bluesrider, herzalot, CBone and 3 others like this.
  14. AKAKTM

AKAKTM Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tony A
    Wire Loop Mesa is a new trail that's easy to follow and fun.

Bluesrider likes this.
  15. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    I have done those loops and think they are good if you are looking for 2-3 hours (if you combine them). Suicidal Tendencies is BARELY black, I was expecting something MUCH harder with a name like that! I think the top loop was Black Brush, can't remember the bottom loop.

16. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    Disclaimer: Sidewalk’s expectations may kill some of us.

17. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    haha.. suicidal tendencies was way black in my view.. but also doable and fun.. cool trail.. I liked it way better than zen...zen.. zz. zz.. sleepy..

Bluesrider and herzalot like this.
  18. steve447

steve447 Member

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Intense Tracer 275C
    Wow, what a response, thank you all.. Will report back on what I end up doing:)

Bluesrider and herzalot like this.
  19. Ricekrispyota

Ricekrispyota Member

Name:
    Dana Weinberg
    If you have the time, Brian from BKXC (Youtube) has recently put up a bunch of videos from the southern Utah area. You might want to check his youtube page and see if anything strikes your fancy. I'm not sure how many are St. George specific, but it may give you some ideas.

https://www.youtube.com/c/bkxc/videos

Bluesrider and doublewide like this.
  20. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5, Ripley & Mojo 4
    If you can only do ONE ride, I'd do Gooseberry Mesa....or Little Creek Mesa. If you do Gooseberry from the White TH and go out to the South Rim to Hidden Canyon out the North Rim to the point and then back via the Yellow Trail, you'll get your 2-3 hours in. If not, head over to Bowls & Ledges and on to Windmill if you want some more.

pdqmach26, doublewide and Voodoo Tom like this.
  21. AKAKTM

AKAKTM Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tony A
    As mtbMike says, if only one, either Gooseberry or Whole Guacamole - the whole thing.

mtbMike and doublewide like this.
  22. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    Agreed with if you only had one ... Gooseberry... but if you had a few more days... then just drive to Moab...

23. Im Livin the Dream

Im Livin the Dream Member

Name:
    Ben Norman
    Current Bike:
    Giant Trance
    So that area that @Bluesrider posted is a really good area. They are prepping the Red Rock Rampage course (In that area) which you could do laps on that if you wanted. I recommend the Hurricane Rim Loop with Goulds. It was about 24 miles and 3k climbing. You can hit 2 laps on it nothing crazy technical on it but it does have one rad descent in the middle but you can take it easy, it is just fast not technical. I really enjoyed it and I rode it solo. it does have some cool little tech climbs but nothing too big or that I would think anyone would have to walk. Here is the link to the course page. The map doesn't load for me. https://intermountaincup.com/races/cross-country-races/red-rock-rampage-2020-2

24. Im Livin the Dream

Im Livin the Dream Member

Name:
    Ben Norman
    Current Bike:
    Giant Trance
    @steve447 btw feel free to hit me up if you want a riding partner. If the schedule works out i would go!

25. steve447

steve447 Member

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Intense Tracer 275C
    That’s really kind of you. It looks like there’s some weather coming in later so I’m going to try and hit the trail at sunrise or close to. I have to be back in St George for lunchtime to meet someone. I’ll send you a PM with my cell.

26. Titus

Titus Well-Known Member

Name:
    Titus
    Current Bike:
    SC Hightower LT
    Figure I'd post here instead of starting a new thread. I'll be visiting St. George for the first time in March. Staying for a week. If any local riders are up for some company, please send me a message. I can ride any time of day. I'm happy to cover gas or beer/lunch after the ride.

herzalot, Faust29 and mtbMike like this.
  27. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5, Ripley & Mojo 4
    @Im Living the Dream and at least one other member lives out there but another suggestion is to check out where the Saturday morning ride is with the Over the Edge bike shop in Hurricane. They pick a new location each week and usually bounce from Little Creek, Gooseberry, Guacamole & Grafton Mesa. The owner, Quentin, is a phenomenal rider and if it rains, they'll go to the Boy Scout Trails which is a tough nut.

Bluesrider and Faust29 like this.
  28. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    True Grit is the weekend of March 11-13, with the mountain bike portion going on the 12th. That course hits a lot of the best ones, but it can easily be broken into smaller segments. I'll be there for that, hoping to survive.

An absolute must is the Zen loop. Insane chunky ledgy riding. That was the first trail I rode there, and can't imagine skipping it. Parking right at the entrance. https://www.strava.com/activities/2200325095

For a little larger outing, it's easy to add Bearclaw Poppy (fast flowy single track) to the Zen ride: https://www.strava.com/activities/2930706162

Barrel Roll is another part of the True Grit course that is a must. There are a few sections that are as technical as Zen. If you have a vehicle with decent clearance, you can drive close to the trailhead. I don't believe we do the entire trail during the race, but this will give you an idea. https://www.strava.com/activities/2204885253

Alternate way to get to Barrel Roll: https://www.strava.com/activities/2930992581 We had plans to ride Suicide the last time we were there, but got rained out on the last day... Never did get to it.

Gooseberry is not far from Saint George, and is another world of riding.

I have videos uploaded to YouTube if you want to check them out... https://www.youtube.com/user/sjmacko Search for "Zen" or "Saint George" or "Gooseberry" or "Three Fingers of Death".

29. Titus

Titus Well-Known Member

Name:
    Titus
    Current Bike:
    SC Hightower LT
    Thanks MTB Mike. I'll reach out to @Imlivingthedream and also see if I can make a Sat ride at Over the Edge.

Faust29--I appreciate the intel. I'll check out the YouTube link for sure. I have a lifted 4x4, so should be fine. My trip will overlap with True Grit, so I'll find other places to ride on those days.

Faust29, Bluesrider and herzalot like this.
  30. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    @Cougar - but I don't think he has been outside since the pandemic began. I may be exaggerating, but he and his family took the pandemic very, very seriously.

Faust29 likes this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?