Pedals: Flats or Clip In

Discussion in 'Pedals' started by Geetarguy, Feb 4, 2021.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

?

What kind of pedals should I put on my new Trek Fuel EX 7?

1. FLAT

29.4%
  2. CLIP IN

70.6%
  1. Geetarguy

Geetarguy Member

Name:
    Geetarguy
    Current Bike:
    Trek Fuel EX 7
    New bike day could be here tomorrow...I am trying to decide if I should STAY with my Eggbeaters or try out some flat pedals. What do you guys think? What do you use? Post your thoughts here and/or take the poll and let me know....curious how this plays out :)

2. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I loved my Egg Beaters, but they broke like clockwork every 6 months- usually in the dark, on the mountain, 20 miles from the car. :mad: I would tuck my tail between my legs and take them to Crank Brothers in Laguna Beach. As if on a script, they would say, "Wow! We've never seen this before. We need our engineers to look at them, because it's so rare. They never break!"

They'd hand me a new pair, and I'd be back in 6 months to listen to the script again... Taking my new pedals and leaving with no dignity. :p

I switched to Shimano, and never looked back... They are indestructible. I gave my Egg Beaters to a fellow forum member. Several other members turned them down... :laugh:

Flats? No thanks... My knees do not approve.

3. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    I moved from clipless to flats a few years ago with no regrets. However, I would stick to what you are comfortable with. I used EBs for years and liked them.

Danmtchl, Faust29, Cornholio and 3 others like this.
  4. Geetarguy

Geetarguy Member

Name:
    Geetarguy
    Current Bike:
    Trek Fuel EX 7
    Interesting...I have never had a problem with eggbeaters....maybe because I do not ride very hard...mostly cross country. Flats can be hard on the knees???

5. Geetarguy

Geetarguy Member

Name:
    Geetarguy
    Current Bike:
    Trek Fuel EX 7
    Just curious as to why you decided to move to flats?

6. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I go with the most reliable and affordable. Shimano SPD's. They have advanced in float to save my knees... and ....and... and everyone is doing it! :whistling::cool:

7. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, black one, Ti one
    Shimano SPD's for me. Have yet to kill one and my knees like it when my foot is in the same spot. I have both the xc and trail versions and can't tell a difference when riding. Think I'm going on about 5 years with the same set of shoes also.

8. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    SPD's......been running them since 1994.....see no reason to change that.

Really never had that thought on a ride that it would be easier if I was riding flats.

My knees appreciate that my feet are in the same exact location everytime they clip in.

da big hills, Luis, Danmtchl and 8 others like this.
  9. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    Flats on my BMX bike

Shimano SPD (XT trail) for my MTBs. I used to switch to flats for riding Summit/Mammoth parks but not anymore.

While being able to do cheater hops with clips is nice in certain situations it is definitely good to learn how to bunny hop and jump on flats and have the proper technique down. This probably holds more truth for people who want to get the wheels off the ground but the way you shift weight etc. helps with general bike handling IMO.

Danmtchl, Faust29, Geetarguy and 2 others like this.
  10. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Because your reaction time to get your foot off a pedal is instantaneous and you have the freedom to adjust the position when rolling through the tech. It makes riding the super tech stuff of the AZ (and now UT) areas a better experience for me.

Danmtchl, bvader, Faust29 and 3 others like this.
  11. Geetarguy

Geetarguy Member

Name:
    Geetarguy
    Current Bike:
    Trek Fuel EX 7
    That has been EXACTLY what I have been thinking! I only ask to make sure I'm not crazy! lol

12. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    It’s already saved me from numerous potential incidences. It took me just a few weeks to transition.

13. Geetarguy

Geetarguy Member

Name:
    Geetarguy
    Current Bike:
    Trek Fuel EX 7
    Isn't it easier to bunny hop on flats? For me it is....that's why I have been thinking about switching to flats....seems better for technical sections....(See SnakeCharmer's post above)

Danmtchl, Faust29 and Mikie like this.
  14. Geetarguy

Geetarguy Member

Name:
    Geetarguy
    Current Bike:
    Trek Fuel EX 7
    Bike shop didn't have any clip-in pedals available so I ordered some online...won't be here till mid-February.....I'm just going to purchase some flats from the bike shop (they have those in stock) so I can at least ride the bike when I get it....that way I can try both...let you know how the flats treat me after I ride :)

Danmtchl, Faust29, Mikie and 2 others like this.
  15. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    It doesn’t really make a difference if you know how to bunny hop correctly. People who never learn how to do it without being clipped in often cheat and just pull up using the connection to the pedals as a crutch to lifting the bike up. When I get on my MTB with SPDs wearing flip flops I can still bunny hop fine without slipping off the pedals. Pedals are a pivot point and using the correct motions and pressure on them is a variable not a constant.

If someone who rides clipped in and only knows how to do cheater hops switches to flats the first time they try to bunny up will probably end with their feet flailing off of the pedals. That is why I always say knowing how to bunny hop properly on flats is a must for skill building. Those of us who grew up riding BMX usually have the skill developed when switching to MTB.

Sidewalk, Danmtchl, Faust29 and 2 others like this.
  16. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    I love my SPD's, and once you get them dialed in it is hard to not take them with you from bike to bike. I've never had them break, even when abused and clogged with mud so that you are truly stomping on them to clip in.

17. Earn Your View

Earn Your View Member

Name:
    Bryan
    Current Bike:
    2013 Charge Cooker
    I prefer SPDs on my mountain bikes. I keep them on the looser side so that I'm locked in, but it's still pretty easy to unclip quickly if needed.

However, I prefer flats on my city bike. Most of my rides are either to run errands or recreational rides around town. I find it annoying to walk around too much with cycling shoes with clips or constantly have to clip/unclip everytime I hit a stop light.

Danmtchl, Faust29, Danimal and 4 others like this.
  18. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    Long time flats rider here. Used SPDs for a bunch of years too. Both work well but I prefer flats for tech riding and because a lot of my rides involve hike a bike. Would only use SPDs these days on a singlespeed.

Both work fine. If you want to try flats give them a few months to get used to them. They seem so simple but there is a definite learning curve. Biggest mistake converts from SPDs make is giving up too soon.

If you have pedals with quality pins and some sticky shoes like 5-10s, your feet will stay very planted once you get used to them.

19. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Whatever makes you happy. There's no right answer. I ride both. Not at the same time however. I prefer clipped in except for slippery DHs. I tend to ride flats at bike parks too.

20. sir crashalot

sir crashalot iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    only flats for me

SnakeCharmer, Danmtchl and Geetarguy like this.
  21. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Just for shitz and giggles, ever tried to ride both at the same time? :D

Danmtchl and Geetarguy like this.
  22. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    In a way.
    I rode some clip-in Mallet DH (a flat pedal with pins that also has a clip-in binding) with the cleat a little too tight. Couldn't get my foot out to save my life because the sole was clamped against the pins - no rotation allowed. Thus, I fell over, then had to take off my shoe. Oddly, I decided to shim the cleat afterward. That worked.

But no. I have never ridden with a true flat pedal and shoe on one side and a clip-in and shoe on the other. And I am pretty sure I never will, unless on a bet, or unless it would completely irritate @DangerDirtyD

23. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Oh?

Is the Carver finally shedding all of the extra baggage?

Danmtchl likes this.
  24. scan

scan iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    I've had the same experience with EB, it's all I use.

Faust29, Danmtchl and Geetarguy like this.
  25. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I have the older Mallets from before they were labeled as DH. Series 3, I think? I haven't used them since Cannell a couple years ago, mainly because of the weight. If I had to pick one product that Crank Brothers got right, it would be those pedals... Stable, easy to service, bombproof... Unlike their other products.

Come to think of it, I should probably put them in the "pay it forward..." thread. I've gotten used to the SPDs, even in the extra chunky stuff and will probably never use them again.

herzalot, Danmtchl and Geetarguy like this.
  26. Lost Kiwi

Lost Kiwi Well-Known Member

Name:
    Simon
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Clip-in rider since Onza's were first released, SPDs these days although I have actually just changed the Izzo to flats. I want to work on my skills more and for messing around being clipped in is more of a hindrance if you need to bail quickly.

27. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    I have used Time ATAC’s for years and never had a problem with the float or adjustment. I did try the Eggbeaters and Candy’s because they are similar to the Times.

Faust29, mtnbikej and Geetarguy like this.
  28. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    Not quite yet... I did have a singlespeed for about 5 yrs, 10+ yrs ago. That's the most recent time I've used SPDs

Danmtchl and Faust29 like this.
  29. senderos_949

senderos_949 Member

Name:
    Randy Morris
    Current Bike:
    Marin Mt Vision Pro
    XT SPDs for me. Going on 10 years+ and not a whimper from them.
    Just bought some new XT Trail SPD pedals (with platform) to see if that makes a difference unclipped on sketchier terrain.

30. da big hills

da big hills iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    cagey
    Current Bike:
    enduro 29
    Be one with the machine and one with the mountain. Instantaneous release, never have to think it is all automatic. And I have not cleated myself since 94. My shin bones love me for the choice
    Happy one with the trails