Forty-some years later: I have a jersey

Discussion in 'Jerseys' started by mike, Jan 30, 2021.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    (With all respect to Mikie's fine line of IMTBTrails ridewear, past and forthcoming.)

Some of you know I've never been a jersey wearer.

My dad gave me his riding jersey in the 70s. It's a nice wool number in garish colors of the day. But it found its way into the dryer decades ago and thus is too small for me. (Not the weez, tho. :))

From the "polypropeline" fabric craze last century came Patagonia Capeline. Capeline has been my standby base and mid layer for every outdoor pursuit in all conditions. So I never bothered to buy bike-specific tops. I'd even stray to other activewear fabrics/brands when they were on sale. But I wear long sleeves and don't (didn't) use back pockets, so no need for a "jersey."

Enter Patagonia Capeline MTB Jersey. It held so much promise I had to commit. I have not used it yet, but will say that it looks to be the riding top I've dreamed of.

I thought it might be a glorified long-sleeve zip-T, but it's not. Athletic cut, extra sleeve and back length, angled sleeve cuff, soft liner in the neck, smart rear pockets design, hem gripper and generous-length zipper. The only thing so far to gripe about might be the lack of color options. It's eighty bucks full retail. That's not exorbitant to me because I still use every Capeline piece I've purchased since the 90s (the ones I have not lost).

Cliche as it sounds, this is like a dream come true for me. I'll post more feedback on it after I use it.

The brand has gotten a lot of sh¡t over the years, but their designs are smart, they fit, work and last. They repaired a few items for us last year at no cost. Some of the damage was extensive, all of it user-caused. They worked miracles. Patogonia FTW.

2. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Congrats!

Pics or... (you know the rest).

Mikie, Faust29 and mountaingirl sara like this.
  3. OTHRider

OTHRider Well-Known Member

Name:
    Duke
    Current Bike:
    '18 Salsa Cutthroat
    I've used the same set of Capeline tops and bottoms since the early 90's for my Eastern Sierra float tube fishing adventures. They still work perfectly and I've seen no need to upgrade. The flaming red colors do disturb the shoreline fisherman when I crawl out of my tube and remove my waders. Good luck with your purchase.

4. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    I'm very curious to hear your experience, and your take on the fit. I, too, am a diehard Capilene user and enthusiast, to the extent that the material is currently the sole inhabitant of my skibby drawer. I'm a fan of the company as well, for many reasons. My only consistent gripe with their tops, that would only be exaggerated in mtb, is that they seem to always be cut too short in the athletic fits. Looking at the stock pics I see sleeves extending below the hem of the shirt. I hope that's not how they actually fit. I have also been on a thus far unsuccessful search for a midweight stand alone long sleeved top that is fitted yet long, and ideally with a little extra girth in the sleeves to allow for the occasional use of low profile elbow pads under the sleeve material.

Oh, and not to call too much attention to it, but good to see you posting in here again.

Walleye, Mikie, Faust29 and 2 others like this.
  5. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
  6. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    I've never owned a cycling jersey.

Unless you count the various mtb clothes manufacturers' shirts like TLD, Fox or Dakine. Are those considered jerseys? I consider them riding shirts. I think of cycling jerseys as these godawful lycra things with way too many sponsors' logos, team names and/or event names on them with pockets in the back and at least a half zip in front.

7. da big hills

da big hills iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    cagey
    Current Bike:
    enduro 29
    Its been longer and I am still holding out.

8. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    I have T shirts for kicking around the house,
    Shirts for working on my bike and other dirty jobs,
    Shirts for work,
    Dress shirts for weddings,
    Shirts I haven't worn in 10 or more years,

So why not and of course shirts for mtb, and shirts for roady ( both are aka Jerseys. ).

Damn I have a lot of shirts...

Welcome to the dark side @mike !

mtnbikej, Mikie, OTHRider and 2 others like this.
  9. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5, Ripley & Mojo 4
    I Googled it https://www.patagonia.com/product/mens-capilene-midweight-bike-jersey/23910.html and your version of a true biking jersey (@herzalot TLD does indeed consider their shirts as jerseys on their website) is definitely different I guess. That's just a standard Pantagonia LS shirt and if they want to label it a jersey, it leans heavily roadie in appearance with that zipper. @mike I'd say you still haven't owned an MTB jersey. You're still safe with your streak.

Mikie, OTHRider and Faust29 like this.
  10. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    LOL, @mtbMike, I like it like the concept, anyway. It's just enough more than a shirt for me. I tried on a Pearl Izumi piece and was stunned that they expect me to exercise in it, even unzipped. I'd be soaked.

@buggravy, I have a short torso but the "jersey" seems lengthy compared to non-biking Patagucci tops I've worn. By a longshot, you can see the hem below the pockets in Mike's link.

@OTHRider, I have to laugh. I wore out the salmon colored medium bottoms and embarrassed a partner or two along the way. Loaned them out for one El Cap ascent, now that's fukking sharing. :gag: A Canadian climber has protracted tales of adventure surrounding his pair of ghastly red medium-weights. A good model year, I think! If there's no fly in front, it's not underwear, am I right???

@Cyclotourist, looks dreamy. Is Merino always a dark color? I like light colors no matter how dingy-looking how quickly. Make that sand colored and add sunsleeves, looks ultimate for summer.

Thanks, Dan :cautious::cool: And Chris.

mtnbikej, Walleye, Mikie and 3 others like this.
  11. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    It's pretty thin...I wear year-round. As a t-shirt in summer, and base layer of some sort when it's cold. Wore it today on a ride and a few days ago up to the snow! Here's a different option:
    23925_INDG.jpg

mtnbikej, mike and Mikie like this.
  12. OTHRider

OTHRider Well-Known Member

Name:
    Duke
    Current Bike:
    '18 Salsa Cutthroat
    Spot on!

I was once allowed into the ritzy Convict Lake restaurant after a day of tubing. I had to wear them as I had no jeans with me. We were almost done with our outstanding dinners when gobs of kids came piling in. It was their Homecoming Night and this was THE place to go. Lots of snickering on the way out. My wife's uncles remind me of that every trip.

mike, Cyclotourist and Mikie like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?