Waterproof socks

Discussion in 'Socks' started by mike, Feb 26, 2019.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Mikie, Danmtchl, Luis and 6 others like this.
  2. Bill

Bill Member

Name:
    Bill
    Current Bike:
    it's black
    I have used SealSkinz socks canyoneering. If they stay waterproof for swimming, jumping into water and climbing and hiking they will be fine for MTB. Note that extra pressure on the cuff will help the seal there, I use the velcro cuff on a drysuit, you could just add a velcro band there if needed. If you require 100% waterproofing buy multiple pairs and test before using in anger.

3. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I'm guilty of talking about them all over the forum. :oops: Good idea to put a thread together...

With all of the winter rides lately, I quickly found out that my feet were the weak link. I came off the mountain a couple times with frozen soaked toes! That was painful... Wool socks would serve to keep the feet at a tolerable temperature- until they got wet. That's been pretty much every ride the last few weeks. :thumbsup:

Enter the Gore "socks". I'm putting socks in parenthesis, because they look more like rubber booties than socks. They feel it, too... With a wool sock underneath, and the Gore sock as an outer layer, my feet have stayed perfectly dry in the water crossings, and hiking through the snow. My shoes are plain old summer Pearl Izumi MTB shoes. They let water in as fast as it can get through the holes! The water does not, however, penetrate the socks...

The top of the sock is a thick band of elastic, which seals the sock at the upper calf. If you submerged the sock past that point, I imagine water would enter. But it more than seals against the spray that I've experienced in the stream crossings.

Great buy... Especially for the $16 I paid.

Screen Shot 2019-02-26 at 6.02.04 PM.jpg

4. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Here's mine:
    ski boots.JPG

A little heavy for MtB, and no cleat mount.

Mikie, Rumpled, rossage and 6 others like this.
  5. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Hmmm... Must not be very waterproof. You're drying them by the fire.

I'd get a refund. :p Maybe try some Showers Pass socks?

6. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Nice!

Actually, I am warming the boots so that the liners will conform to my feet a little better. They are new, and they are tight!

Mikie, mike, rossage and 3 others like this.
  7. Bill

Bill Member

Name:
    Bill
    Current Bike:
    it's black
    Steve, which Gore socks are you referring to? I did a quick search and couldn't figure out which were the socks you have.

Mikie, mike, Old&InTheWay and 2 others like this.
  8. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
  9. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    Mikie, Faust29, mike and 2 others like this.
  10. Ebruner

Ebruner Well-Known Member

Name:
    Erik Bruner
    Current Bike:
    22' Nomad, 22' Trance x 29
    I just picked up some wet/cold weather foot gear after a not so great experience trouncing through creeks headed up maple springs.

Gator Neoprene socks - Just what they sound like. 2mm thick, small amount of insulation. Should be worn with a sock liner underneath. I scooped some up on ebay for 15 bucks shipped.
    https://www.aerotechdesigns.com/gan...bZZMqrmOn_dKhcmNxiCQEWlCcmZIx9KxoCyx8QAvD_BwE

Endura MT-500 II Overshoes. - I got these for re-assurance. I wear a size 45.5 or 46 mtb shoe and got the XL, they fit tight over the shoes, but great. Again, I got a pair of these for smokin cheap on ebay. I think 30 shipped.
    https://www.endurasport.com/product/mt500-overshoe-ii-e1118/

11. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Gore FTW!

1E2F824D-9E30-437B-90DC-9650205A6DD8.jpeg

Mikie, scan, mike and 7 others like this.
  12. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Shoe covers/overshoes are generally made for cleated shoes, but I see that Endura has handled that problem:

https://www.endurasport.com/product/mt500-plus-overshoe/

(Thanks for the nudge, Erik.)

I've used neoprene shoe covers a bunch and found them useful like I did today. Mine are made for cleated shoes but like most, will work with a flat shoe if you don't mind the cleat hole hems getting worked by pins (and walking).

Add a waterproof/insulated sock/liner, and your regular MTB flat shoes can take on most cold and wet conditions.

Add a chem toe warmer if need be (attn: the weazl). There are no bad conditions, only bad circulation!

13. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball

Those Endura's look good. The Scots know their foul-weather gear.

Mikie, DangerDirtyD and mike like this.
  14. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?