Breaking News thread!

Discussion in 'Free Zone' started by SnakeCharmer, Apr 10, 2017.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. sir crashalot

sir crashalot iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    ride concepts

Mikie and SnakeCharmer like this.
  2. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    I bought a pair of those for skateboarding. And they just don't fit my feet correctly.

Mikie likes this.
  3. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    Mikie and Cyclotourist like this.
  4. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    Northwave...

Mikie likes this.
  5. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    Last night was my first ride with the Adidas/5-10 Kestrel Pro Boa. The Kestrel weighs about 15 ounces more than my 2012 Sidi Dominator 5. They were generally comfortable from the first pedal stroke, and I didn't think about them after the first 3 miles, so they are officially comfortable. I position the cleat as far away from the toes as possible and also toward the inside of the foot so I have a wider stance as vertical as possible over the crank while keeping the shoe away from the crank arm. I hope the Velcro strap withstands 5 years of usage; time will tell. I tried a little HAB on a steep section just to see how they felt, and basically it was like hiking in a very stiff skateboard shoe, which is better than in Sidis but not as secure as a trail runner or hiking boot (no surprise there). My only gripe so far is that my rain/snow booties will not fit over the Kestrel, so when riding in rain, snow, or freezing temps, I would have to decide between wool socks/Sidis/booties or waterproof (or wool) socks/Kestrel. At this point, I'm leaning toward what has worked in the past and would stick to wool socks/Sidis/booties, unless there is anticipated substantial HAB, which is often par for the course when riding with @mike and also the reason I purchased the Kestrel in the first place.

Mikie, MolarM, herzalot and 7 others like this.
  6. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    I run the Kestrel Lace and have for about 4-5 years. Same pair. The velcro finishing strap over the laces has not worn out. The shoe has held together well and is just as sturdy as the day I bought it. Stiff enough sole to feel a real pedaling benefit over the Impacts, but very hike-a-bike-able. Oooh, that's just fun to say! Say it with me "hike-a-bike-able..."

Mikie, MolarM, mtnbikej and 2 others like this.
  7. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    Hahaha! Thanks for the intel re: velcro.

Mikie, MolarM, mtnbikej and 1 other person like this.
  8. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
  9. MolarM

MolarM Member

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz 5010
    Did your Dominators look like these? I still wear them once in a while. I ended up getting some new Sidi Tigers a couple years ago on a Competitive Cyclist 40% off sale. They’ve got full carbon soles, -too stiff, not as comfortable. Don’t really know where I’m going with this, I guess just that it’s great you’ve got something comfy now. Just don’t throw out the Doms

AFA4B2CB-412B-46C5-8191-CB43EAB27EFE.jpeg

DangerDirtyD, Mikie and Cyclotourist like this.
  10. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    Interesting
    Credit OC Register

https://www.ocregister.com/2020/11/29/couple-in-irvine-arrested-for-allegedly-stealing-bait-bike/

A man and a woman in Irvine were arrested on suspicion of grand theft for allegedly swiping a bicycle equipped with a GPS locator, police said today.
    Due to an increase in bicycle thefts, the Irvine Police Department has place “bait” bikes, equipped with GPS locators, in different spots throughout the city, the department reported.

One such bike reeled in a couple at 8:49 a.m. Saturday in the area of Barranca Parkway and Paseo Westpark, police said.
    An Irvine Police Department dispatcher coordinated with officers to provide an updated location of the stolen “bait” bike and found it, in the area, in the back of a Ford Fusion occupied by a man and a woman, who were arrested on suspicion of grand theft.
    The Irvine Police Department did not release their names.

11. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Thems is well worn. Mine look similar, but with much more tread. I don't wear them much anymore. Sure they are lighter and more efficient than my 5.10s, but I have a certain image I have to maintain for my adoring fans.

Mikie, mtnbikej, MolarM and 2 others like this.
  12. da big hills

da big hills iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    cagey
    Current Bike:
    enduro 29
    Lockdown again. Newscum just issued a lockdown order because of the surge, he said hospitals and ICU beds will be full in mid month. He said the lockdown will be in two weeks. he said the turkey day bonus surge will be 2 weeks after T day I am not a math wiz but two weeks will be the 10th. Surge also hits the 15th (mid month) and he will lockdown in two weeks (13th). I don't know but I think they are using New Math where 2+2 does not = 4. Funny because math does not lie, but politicians do.

So your favorite trail head is closing, except at night...
    That is because there is nobody there to tell you otherwise, and you cannot see the signs as it is dark.
    This is where knowing how to ride Braille really helps, turn off the light 100 yards from the trail head, tape over any reflective surfaces
    Happy dark trails, nice of you to join me

13. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    The first lockdown didn't affect my MTBing in Simi Valley. I don't think this one will either.

Redman, Mikie, Faust29 and 1 other person like this.
  14. da big hills

Name:
    cagey
    Current Bike:
    enduro 29
    just don't venture too far into the Cheese-Palo, or do it in the dark. I thought Rancho Simi P&R closed trail heads too.

Mikie and UPSed like this.
  15. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Nope. Only Rocky Peak as it's governed by MRCA. I can access everything I need to from Runkle anyways. :whistling:

Mikie likes this.
  16. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    You gotta link? I cannot find anything online.

Mikie, Sasquatch9billion and Faust29 like this.
  17. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    Luis, Mikie, da big hills and 10 others like this.
  18. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    The LA Times is saying that he's on the brink of instituting a tougher lockdown, but it hasn't happened yet... Yet.

And I see that the governor of my birth state (NY) is looking to bring back as many retired doctors and nurses as he can find... My cousin retired from nursing this year in January. She turned the offer down once, and I'm hoping she turns it down again.

https://www.latimes.com/california/...estrictions-hospitalizations-at-record-levels

19. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    LOL, there is Stan's wheelset ad in the middle of the L.A. Times report. The world is such a screwed up place, everyone is a spy.

Redman, Stkx66, Mikie and 2 others like this.
  20. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I had an ad for a new mattress and ladies pajamas... :cautious: :whistling:

SnakeCharmer, mtnbikej, Mikie and 2 others like this.
  21. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    uBlock Origin... no adds!

Redman, Faust29 and Mikie like this.
  22. da big hills

Name:
    cagey
    Current Bike:
    enduro 29
    He gave the speech today. Just like earlier but the numbers are higher. He will command and like last time the agencies will fall in line. There is good news the death rate is very low, and the testing is huge. The bad news: the virus has expanded its base so there are so many new ways for the risk population to get infected. The good news: most people do not even know they are a carrier, it is a mild infection to most of the population. He said most of Cowifornica counties are now Violet (the worse color)(over 50 out of 58) so he will either act or need to change his color pallet. But it'snot official...YET

Faust29 and Mikie like this.
  23. scan

scan iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    Don't think so, it is rising!!! In california

24. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    But then I won't see the pajama models...

Cyclotourist, Mikie and Lost Kiwi like this.
  25. furball

furball Member

Name:
    furball
    NextDNS is a nice ad-blocker option https://nextdns.io. Free up to 300K queries/month, define a profile, use same profile across multiple endpoints, pick & choose blocking filters, logging show which sites were blocked so you can whitelist. You can define a block response page so you know a web link failed otherwise it's obvious from the can't find site message, bit of a problem with email if you aren't aware of the why this or that image won't display, same with the training videos or other where the site reaches out to 3rd parties in the block lists. You can just turn it on/off when a site is blocked to get to it.

26. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    Mikie, herzalot, tick and 6 others like this.
  27. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy

That’s ridiculous. I don’t skimp on my kid’s bikes but I would never pay $1k for a carbon balance bike. My son thrashed the balance bike my daughter is riding around in the pic below a ton before handing it down. It wasn’t cheap but 1/5th the price of that Specialized.

Sure I spent over $400 on his Early Rider belt driven bike but it’s a real bike and got him pedaling at 3 years old. It will also be handed down to little sis, a much better neutral color too!

0C13C1F5-4220-4C3B-AE6B-3F3E837B340A.jpeg

7FA9A5BA-70B3-4C88-8ED6-EFE4C1CCB3F1.jpeg

Obsidian, Mikie, herzalot and 7 others like this.
  28. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    Exactly....your 3 year old isn't going to notice the carbon tuned for their weight wheels.

Mikie, herzalot, Voodoo Tom and 4 others like this.
  29. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    I'm not sure what I paid for this plywood contraption. Not much, but it did the job!

3786600733_d716598722_b.jpg

Faust29, gunga din, Obsidian and 8 others like this.
  30. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?