The coffee lover thread

Discussion in 'Free Zone' started by Luis, Jan 13, 2017.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Got a burr grinder right before Covid shot my income for the year. Worth every penny.:thumbsup:

I don't like being the beta-tester anyways. I'll wait and see if they can produce it, and it works as advertised, then I might consider purchasing one.

Danimal and Cyclotourist like this.
  2. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    This looks great... If it comes to market and is as good as the ad copy says it is! Would be perfect for travel and camping!

rossage likes this.
  3. Oaken

Oaken Well-Known Member

Name:
    CeeJay
    Which one did you go with?

Cyclotourist and rossage like this.
  4. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    It's a Chef wave, some brand I got off Amazon. Way more consistent grind. My old AeroPress pucks looked like Sedimentology experiments, graded, sorted by size. Now it's just a fine-grained sandstone.
    One thing about it is, these grinders create static electricity. And electrically-charged fine grains of coffee are active and clingy. Can make clean up a little interesting. If anyone knows of a way to mitigate the coffee ions, let me know
    Flavor is noticably better.

5. siata94

siata94 Well-Known Member

Name:
    siata
    Current Bike:
    lazy goat
    A tiny spray of mist or a few drops of water on the beans before grinding should reduce the static mess.

6. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    We do most everything old school style out at our family desert house because most everything out there is a hand-me-down. So, two cups of fresh grounded brew from a fancy type old school coffee maker for me this morning outside in the desert beauty before we cleaned up and set off for home. Relaxing outside in nature while sipping a fresh cup of jo is one of the better simple things in life.

7. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    Great advice but for anyone trying....TINY be operative word otherwise you will end up with gummy grinds...

Me grind static is part of the game ... Well little easy to say mine doesn't produce much ... and I keep a 2" fine paint brush which I clean up with in about 15sec

8. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    That first cup of coffee in the morning is golden. I'm enjoying mine in the cup my daughter made for me in her toddler years. It says "I Love Dad" on it.

Faust29, herzalot, shawndoh and 8 others like this.
  9. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    So @siata94 and I did a little parts exchange and as part of it he gave me some of his freshly home roasted beans Brazil and Uganda.

I let the beans age / gas for about a week. Today I made an espresso with the Brazil....

1st pull was a "Sink Shot"

Adjusted 2nd Pull......
    PXL_20201124_173623794.PORTRAIT.jpg

Not my best microfoam milk but the Brazil was full dark nutty very tasty and made for a great cappuccino

Thanks @siata94

10. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I almost hesitate to ask... :unsure:

Do any of you guys have issues with coffee bothering your stomach? I've been a coffee drinker since before I was a teenager, and it never bothered me. I've actually cut back in the last couple years. When I was younger, I drank it all day long. :inlove:

I alternate between shots from the Nespresso and the Gaggia- sometimes as many as 8 or 9 in the mornings, and sometimes another shot or 3 in the afternoons. Usually straight, but occasionally with Stevia or frothed milk. For the last month or so, my stomach starts doing flip flops by the 5th shot. That has never been the case... Old age? Time to cut back? Decaf?

Just curious if anyone else has developed an issue with coffee out of the blue...

11. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    So @Faust29

So you are seriously saying you drink 8 to 12 shots of coffee or espresso a day?

Perhaps cutting back a bit :)

Not an expert but a lot of my friends and I've had a little bit myself as we get older I think we generate a little more acid... That combined with the coffee may not be so good.

Other thought is when your body gives you a physical reaction at something... It may be saying it doesn't want that something.

12. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.

Now that I read what I wrote, I see it looks bad... :eek: :Roflmao

But yes... A normal day is that much. I've been drinking that quantity for decades without issue. It probably just caught up to me... :cry:

13. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Oh boy, this is gonna be bad. Like hardcore drug withdrawals. Night sweats, the shakes, the shitz, the shingles,...

14. siata94

Name:
    siata
    Current Bike:
    lazy goat
    Sink Shot? Inconceivable! Must be a bad batch :)

I'm sure the third will be the charm. Enjoy!

Old&InTheWay and Cyclotourist like this.
  15. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    Sink Shot...I had the grind too fine.. technical error my side.

With new beans I often have to dial in the grind ...

Ohh already had the 3rd it was Deeeelicious

16. siata94

Name:
    siata
    Current Bike:
    lazy goat
    Oh good, otherwise you'd lose your tip jar...

17. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    I've been enjoying Americanos recently. Still a lot of flavor, but more volume to enjoy (TWSS!). But only one or two in the morning!

50643206068_82190e92f5_b.jpg

18. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    @siata94 The Uganda is excellent! It makes a very tasty modern espresso, little lighter fruity.. nice "spice" cinnamon/ cardamom notes. Thanks!!

19. shawndoh

shawndoh Well-Known Member

Name:
    shawn
    Current Bike:
    I ride all the bikes!
    Jesus Faust, you gotta dial that down brutha. That's a shot ton of caffeine, on the daily.

20. siata94

Name:
    siata
    Current Bike:
    lazy goat
    I've also had the Uganda this morning as well. Running low on it, ordering another 5lbs...

Faust29, Sasquatch9billion and bvader like this.
  21. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    shawndoh, Faust29, Stkx66 and 3 others like this.
  22. Derkderkall

Derkderkall iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2020 Specialized Fuse 29
    Bold new adventure this morning....
    Enjoying my cup of coffee black.
    No sugar
    No honey
    no half and half
    no oat/coconut creamer..

So far so good.
    I've fallen off the intermittent fasting wagon for the last few months... trying to jump back on... I used to use the silk or califia vegan half and halfs, since they have practically no sugars (important for fasting), and keep the calorie count per cup under 30. No more, going cold turkey. Black coffee it is!

Cyclotourist, mtnbikej, Luis and 5 others like this.
  23. Geetarguy

Geetarguy Member

Name:
    Geetarguy
    Current Bike:
    Trek Fuel EX 7
  24. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    Welcome to drinking coffee as it should be! ;)

Actually I don’t care how others drink it nor am I a coffee connoisseur. I started drinking mine black when I worked construction during the hot summer in Boston. Black iced coffees first thing in the morning since we were already sweating just getting out of the truck. Now I have a cup of hot black coffee every morning.

If I try a coffee my wife gets with sweet stuff and cream in it I gag. I love the taste of black coffee. Also drink a lot of green tea, ginger and turmeric teas, and Yerba mate.

Oaken, herzalot, Cyclotourist and 6 others like this.
  25. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I'm happy to report that I don't believe it was the coffee. I cut back on a lot of things and then re-introduced them one item at a time. I'm 99% certain that it was the joint supplements my wife suggested. They just do not agree with me... :thumbsdown:

I've resumed normal coffee consumption with no ill effects. :inlove:

This week's choice is Lavazza Gran Crema- ground fresh daily. :D Either straight or with a touch of Stevia. :inlove:

Oaken, herzalot, Cyclotourist and 7 others like this.
  26. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    If you’re feeling joint pain, another way to deal with it is to not eat foods that cause inflammation. And I’m sorry to report that those foods are some that youre really gonna miss. Not unlike going through drug withdrawals after stopping, cold turkey.... No... I take that back, it’s likely worse than that.

27. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    I read the word “joint” and saw in my head “sativa” and got all excited. I mean, if hanging around Ross results in Specialized rubber on your bike, I figure there’s a chance, right?

28. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Don't pick on my clearance rack tires! :p

29. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    I liked the two Speshy tires I used. I had a Purgatory and 2 Butchers as some point. Any hint towards getting Ross back online?

Faust29 likes this.
  30. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Gran Crema is my go to! I usually mix it 50/50 with their decaf espresso so I can drink more!

And I'm really liking the Aeropress I got! That thing makes some amazing coffee!

Faust29 likes this.