What are the best big rides 1 hour drive from HB

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by surftime, Oct 27, 2020.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. surftime

surftime Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    luke
    Current Bike:
    Yelli and a Stump Jumper
    Guys and girls, well I am back. Its been a long time and I was active on STR quite a bit. Been riding more lately and hope to help and contribute to this forum.

I live in HB and usually ride the santa ana's and around ridge park near laguna and crystal cove but I want to do longer bigger rides up into the trees. I just bought a Levo... dont shoot me.... This thing is seriously fun though, heavy and getting used to that part of it but its a great bike. I am able to ride mid week to avoid the crowds and traffic.

Can you guys let me know the most fun rides where i can get into the trees but are within an hour or so drive of HB? I was mainly thinking up in the San Gabriel Mountains - up the 605. I guess SART and even San Juan can get into that list. What else am I missing?

2. Steve/Steverino

Steve/Steverino Member

Name:
    redeemed, r you?
    Current Bike:
    E-bikes
    These folks HATE, all things e-bike related around here, but you know that already.
    However, some are getting closer to "getting it" than they wanna admit.

Best wishes

Danmtchl, Grassblade23, Mikie and 4 others like this.
  3. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    Take your motorcycle on any freeway. Endless miles.

Danmtchl, Mikie, herzalot and 4 others like this.
  4. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Welcome back, surftime. As Steve says above, e-bikes aren't very popular around here. But... There are a couple popular forum members who have them. They just keep that part of their bike arsenal to themselves and they don't bring them up around here. And, as far as I know, they also don't ride them where they aren't allowed. The forum owner is kinda touchy on the e-bike subject.

I was in the OC until recently, and now live at the base of the San Gabes. They took a beating with the recent Bobcat Fire and many trails are in the closure.

5. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Or Cal City. That's where I used to take my dirt bike. :whistling:

Danmtchl, Mikie, Redman and 3 others like this.
  6. surftime

Name:
    luke
    Current Bike:
    Yelli and a Stump Jumper

Thanks, i forgot how big the ebike debate was, ready for the beating :)

Danmtchl, Mikie, DangerDirtyD and 2 others like this.
  7. surftime

Name:
    luke
    Current Bike:
    Yelli and a Stump Jumper

Thanks Steve, I get it, felt the same way a few years ago before a knee injury

Danmtchl and Mikie like this.
  8. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    I’ve said it before. My father in law pedaled from Michigan to Washington state and back, 40 years ago. He lost a leg above the knee when he was 10.

so, what’s your knee injury?

You can ride at Skypark, and paved bike trails. Enjoy.

Danmtchl, Mikie, Redman and 4 others like this.
  9. Steve/Steverino

Steve/Steverino Member

Name:
    redeemed, r you?
    Current Bike:
    E-bikes
    Well, in the spirit of you being such a good sport, purchase a cruise via Catalina Express that departs from Newport Harbor to Catalina and midway...cast lead laden luggage into Pacific Ocean, it will be a nice little toxic reef for fishI kid.
    The argument that e-bikes present a fire hazard had validity, there's not much fuel to burn anywhere in the forests these days.
    Gotta ask, why an E-bike?
    Again, best wishes!

10. Steve/Steverino

Steve/Steverino Member

Name:
    redeemed, r you?
    Current Bike:
    E-bikes
    Just read your reply, disregard

11. surftime

Name:
    luke
    Current Bike:
    Yelli and a Stump Jumper
    ill indulge ..

Why go to a bike park? Gravity or to ride more trails, to have run, because you dont want to pedal

E-bikes allow that on the trails

They are fun but I know I am not going to change any minds here. Continue with the jokes

Danmtchl, Mikie and Faust29 like this.
  12. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    But not legal in OC Parks, Chino Hills, El Moro, or non motorized trails in the CNF(Motorway/Holy Jim/Trabuco)....you can have all the fun you want at the Floop though.

Danmtchl, Mikie, evdog and 5 others like this.
  13. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Nope to the first part, and as far as the second part, let's not continue with the e-bike portion of this at all... No jokes, no verbal beatings...

14. Ebruner

Ebruner Well-Known Member

Name:
    Erik Bruner
    Current Bike:
    22' Nomad, 22' Trance x 29
    Maple Springs is my favorite e-bike ride. It's actually pretty fun bombing fire roads on e-bikes in my opinion. I like cruising up to santiago peak and back and the downhill makes for a pretty fun drift festival.

Other then that, skypark is just over an hour away from HB and that's another great place for e-bikes. Lots of folks seem to be riding them at a certain location in murrietta that has questionable access for all bikers.

Danmtchl, Mikie, ~JB~ and 6 others like this.
  15. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    :mad: :speechless:

Ride 'em if you NEED them I guess. Just be extra courteous and try to abide by the current laws.

I'm not a fan of the ever-increasing number of riders period, much less those who have no trail diplomacy or awareness. I can't point fingers at ebikers for that, but the motor-cycles encourage people to get out on the trails who would never make that commitment if they had to pedal. That said, some of the most egregious violators of trail etiquette around here are the large groups of endur-bros who take over busy parks at the busiest times of the day, blast music, ride off-menu and flaunt it on social media. Some of whom are also now on ebikes where they aren't legal. And no, the pandemic isn't a concern of theirs either.

OK, grouchy rant over. :stop:

Have fun riding your motorbike, @surftime :thumbsup:

Danmtchl, Grassblade23, Oaken and 5 others like this.
  16. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    That Ohm was quite a character!

17. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    Not at all. I don't hate e-bikes, just like I don't hate Harleys and I don't hate Hummers. Just keep them on their legal trails. If I saw a Harley on Holy Jim Trail, I wouldn't hate the Harley... but I'd have a few things to say to the rider :)

FWIW here in NC e-bikes are legal on many trails, but I have seen one ONCE - and it was being ridden by a guy half my age who was riding in the wrong direction on a one-way trail. Kinda funny, kinda sad, given that the trails where I saw him were 100 feet vertical per mile.

18. doublewide

doublewide iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallcan
    Poor dude, just coming in here from some info and outta no where, he's hit with friendship and love. Such a great site.....

giphy.gif

Danmtchl, Oaken, Mikie and 6 others like this.
  19. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    Danmtchl, Mikie, doublewide and 2 others like this.
  20. skyungjae

skyungjae Member

Name:
    Kyung Jae
    Current Bike:
    2015 Santa Cruz Bronson C
    I understand the hate toward ebikes... but ebikes are awesome!

[​IMG]
    This girl gets it.

Also... don't discount the FLoop. You can ride it after dark, there's plenty of restaurants in DTF with patio seating, and people have been building some nice features at certain sections. It's also ebike friendly.

Danmtchl, Grassblade23, Oaken and 4 others like this.
  21. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    It's cool she can be so positive after the debilitating accident that left her maimed an unable to pedal a bike.

Stay proud and ride on, cripple girl!

22. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    I think she is working on the discovery of Type 6 Diabetes... defined as "perfectly healthy people who prefer to live their lives inanimately"

giphy.gif

Danmtchl, Mikie and Cyclotourist like this.
  23. Old&InTheWay

Old&InTheWay Well-Known Member

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    2017 Intense Primer Pro
    Is that the court house parking lot ? :D

Danmtchl, skyungjae and Mikie like this.
  24. da big hills

da big hills iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    cagey
    Current Bike:
    enduro 29
    27 MILES across the bay, Santa Catalina is the place to play. You will need a permit but it is all climbing. Ride with the Buffalo, eat scallops and Spiny bugs all for free. Plus you do not need to drive far, right there at Dana pt. or Long Beach. Pack a tent and a light bag and camp at the isthmus. If you tire out half way take the express back to Avalon. I should not be mentioning this but it is the true hidden gem.
    Happy empty island trails

Danmtchl, Grassblade23, Mikie and 5 others like this.
  25. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Don't forget you need to reserve camp sites, but they are pretty easy to get as long as you reserve in advance. You also need to check in at the office in Avalon before you hit the trails (if you are over-nighting) - so they know you're out there. If you are taking an e-bike make sure you understand the mileage. I'm not sure that there are any charging options at most of the sites (they probably have something at Two Harbors). It would be a looooong walk out if you ran out of charge.

Good news is that they will drop firewood and drinking water for you at your camp site if you order it (was only a buck or two for each, as I recall). Once you get a couple of miles outside of Avalon you'll have the island almost to yourself. Once you get NW of Two Harbors you definitely will :) No drinking water past Two Harbors if you don't order it, so plan accordingly.

Danmtchl, Mikie, DangerDirtyD and 4 others like this.
  26. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I'd be the first to sign up for the Catalina Gran Fondo if they ever brought it back... We talk about "the best views" on some rides, but none compare to Catalina.

But I think the OP was looking for destinations within driving distance. Last time I took the Flyer, they didn't let me drive. :p

I still have the bell, saddle and seat clamp...
    IMG_0560.jpeg

27. da big hills

da big hills iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    cagey
    Current Bike:
    enduro 29
    But there is nothing like taking the slow boat, grabbing a couple beers, one in each hand. The walk up the grand stair case with a little extra swagger. You will get at least 4 people see you, grab their mouth and turn back towards the head.
    Awe the good times at sea across the bay.
    BTW October is the best month out there. The ocean is still warm, the fog is gone and so are the tourists. And did I mention its Lobster season?

28. Sasquatch9billion

Sasquatch9billion iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    trinidad j. mendez
    Which ones the slow boat? That sounds nice.

29. Grassblade23

Grassblade23 Member

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Surly Karate Monkey
    I did not know they were illegal in CHSP. Second to last eBike demo I rode was through the backside of CHSP from Brush Canyon Park and exiting Bobcat/Camino d' Bryant. That ride, (And the day's earlier ride up Coal,) convinced me that as cool as eBikes are, they aren't for me. Pedal assist is nice, but trying to shove a 50 lb bike up Skully or Coal isn't fun even with a 250w advantage. I'll stick to the lighter non-assisted bikes.

As for OP's question, I'd be scared to take an eBike down San Juan given how bad most of them understeer.

30. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    The last few times I rode San Juan, I saw WAY more Ebikes than acoustic bikes.

Cyclotourist and Danmtchl like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?