Chicken Nuggets In da Sauce_2020

Discussion in 'Trailhead' started by DangerDirtyD, Aug 14, 2020.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Luis

Luis iMTB Addict

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    La Diabla
    Just heard back from him. He must be ok because he wants to know where we are riding this weekend :)
    He’s a little banged up and bruised but thankfully he’s ok.

Tom the Bomb, mike, Faust29 and 3 others like this.
  2. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    See if you can recruit him to iMTBtrails, and tell him he’s a Chicken Nugget.

Tom the Bomb and mike like this.
  3. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    I rode w david cho too.. but that guy is in Seattle now...

Tom the Bomb and DangerDirtyD like this.
  4. DangerDirtyD

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    Is it premature to post up the current roster for this ride? Yes...yes it is. Oh well. Something cool will happen.

The CrazyBear shuttle is flexible if we need to relocate due to fires, closures, too many rocks on the trail, etc., and Xavier would just the same ride along with us if the ultimate destination is not shuttleable. So without further ado, the Chicken Nuggets are:
    @mike
    @burt
    @konakc
    @David Cho
    @Lost Kiwi
    @Ocpop
    @Dante
    @GeorgeH
    @DangerDirtyD

CNIDS 2020!

5. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    I'm pretty sure he was back on his bike the next day?

Voodoo Tom, DangerDirtyD and Luis like this.
  6. Lost Kiwi

Lost Kiwi Well-Known Member

Name:
    Simon
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    What can I say, the opportunity to see @DangerDirtyD in a lycra skin suit again was just to much to pass up on.......

wtf have I signed myself up for :facepalm:

Walleye, Voodoo Tom, herzalot and 2 others like this.
  7. DangerDirtyD

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    Haha! The first thing @burt said to me last Sunday when I got out of the car was, “is this a joke!?”

On the contrary...Putting on the sausage suit means putting on the game face.

Anyway, most likely I won’t be wearing the onesie on 10/24, but if someone wants to borrow it, I would loan it out if you promise to take pictures.

Cyclotourist and herzalot like this.
  8. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    Woohoo.!!!!

DangerDirtyD likes this.
  9. DangerDirtyD

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
  10. DangerDirtyD

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    Alright Nuggets... @Old&InTheWay and @Cyclotourist provided some very good intel, so 10 points for each of you!

As of now, SART after Angelus Oaks is closed (Trail 2E03), and we'd have to skip Morton Peak if we follow the rules. Ironically 39 year old Charles Morton lost his life while serving the public during the firefight several weeks ago, so let's respect his sacrifice and comply with the Forest Service Order [No. 05-12-00-20-17]. I believe in superstitions.
    capture-71-jpg.jpg

Ok let's hear the group's suggestions. Below are a few of my recommendations of similar scale. The point is to up the ante on a typical SART ride:
    1. Rendezvous with the shuttle along Mountain Home Creek Road (bottom of Loch Leven), and get dropped off at the base of Wildhorse Meadows Rd...Loop Wildhorse, drop into SART at Southfork, ride to Angelus Oaks, do the little loop behind the post office, and then drop Loch Leven to the cars (about 57 miles, 3,500' of climbing and 9,000' of DH).
    2. Same as No. 1 except we summit Sugarloaf Mountain and reserve the option to skip the little loop behind the post office if people bonk. This option would add at least 2 hours to the ride and increase the elevation by about 1,000' and suffer score >2x.
    3. Rendezvous with the shuttle at Hangar 24 and ride No. 1 or 2 above, coaster race along Hwy 38 into Mill Creek Wash, then ride the squigglies above the ordinary high water mark toward Mentone as far as we can, and finish off with an urban jaunt to the brewery. This option leaves no question about being able to park at Mountain Home Village, which appears to be within the Closure Area Boundary. If Cyclotourist indicates Loch Leven is open, I'll just drop his name to the Rangers if we get questioned.

Please bring lights just in case we get stranded out there, or we have to save one of our or someone else's life during the ride. Let me know if you need to borrow a light.

CNIDS 2020!

11. Steve/Steverino

Steve/Steverino Member

Name:
    redeemed, r you?
    Current Bike:
    E-bikes
    A
    Ambitious=COLOSSAL ADVENTURE!!

DangerDirtyD likes this.
  12. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    Anything but option 2... But I'll go w flow... Hab hab. ... Hab.. urg... Urg. Urg...

DangerDirtyD likes this.
  13. DangerDirtyD

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    This ride is a mild Tuesday for some people on this forum, and it's still glorious!

Cyclotourist likes this.
  14. DangerDirtyD

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    Yea....I don't mind skipping the Sugarloaf Summit unless @burt calls us sissies and is followed up the ridgeline by others. I'm leaning toward Option 3. The Forest Map is inconsistent with its annotations. Studying it further, it is obvious the portion of SART above the Post Office that drops back down to Middle Control Road (Section 22) is closed, so a Post Office Loop may be a no-go. Further, Loch Leven would be within the Closure Area Boundary, but the trail is not delineated on the map whatsoever while other trails both within and outside the boundary are delineated. Also, why demarcate the "Closed Portion of Trail 2E03" with a halo when other parts of SART (and other trails) are simply red? I therefore conclude if the trail is demarcated with a halo and a call-out, it is closed. If the trail is depicted within the Closure Area Boundary it is closed. However, if the trail is not demarcated with a halo and a call-out or depicted within the Closure Area Boundary, the implication is that it is not closed in accordance with the Map referenced in Forest Service Order No. 05-12-00-20-17.

@Runs with Scissors please identify any fallacies in my deduction.

I feel like the map was made by my GIS Department at work. :cautious::gag:

Old&InTheWay, Grego and Cyclotourist like this.
  15. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    I like option 3 too.. but if u call me a sissy....
    Sean can do anything...he can climb like a goat.. I think he hides an electric motor somewhere...

DangerDirtyD likes this.
  16. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    Road 1S13 to Morton Peak is within the closure area but is not on the closure order list of closed roads. Since SART is open from Morton down, it would make sense it's ok to use that road.

If correct, you could ride SART to Middle Control Rd, drop Loch Leven and then climb up 1S13 to get to the final section of SART.

17. DangerDirtyD

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    Great! Sean can keep Burt and Dante and George and David and LostKiwi and OCpop and Mike and you company.
    Thanks for your input! @Cyclotourist and I were talking about climbing 1s13 to get to Morton, but it would be a 2.7 mile/1,350' climb averaging 500' per mile at mile 50 of the ride. Alright guys, it's less than a 3 mile hike to Morton from Hwy 38. We can give a shout out to Charles Morton at the look-out tower and go drink beer in his honor afterward. I like this idea!

Cyclotourist likes this.
  18. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    Can't be much worse than the prospect of climbing back up Loch Leven at that point in the ride, which was your original plan. And that had the added difficulty of riding SART from AO down to 1S13, which is not all downhill either. Seems to me like you pretty much have to climb up to Morton Pk!

Cyclotourist and DangerDirtyD like this.
  19. DangerDirtyD

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    I agree. EVERYONE...listen up! We’re climbing (and maybe hiking) up Warm Spring Truck Trail to Morton Peak at mile 50. Evdog called me out, and I can’t let him get away with it!

Cyclotourist and mtnbikej like this.
  20. Ocpop

Ocpop Well-Known Member

Name:
    Paul K
    Current Bike:
    Pivot trail
    2.7 miles/1350’ at mile 50 sounds brutal, it’s much steeper than the start of Harding Truck Trail. It would be a b!tch even at the start of the ride. I’m game to give it a go but I may be hiking a good bit of this. (Anyone got an ebike I can borrow?)

21. Lost Kiwi

Lost Kiwi Well-Known Member

Name:
    Simon
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    I have no idea what your talking about. I'm just going to be following whomever, wherever.

The beer bit sounds good :thumbsup:

Cyclotourist, DangerDirtyD and Ocpop like this.
  22. Ocpop

Ocpop Well-Known Member

Name:
    Paul K
    Current Bike:
    Pivot trail
    Hahaha, my sentiments exactly. I’m just going to keep going even if I have to crawl on my hands and knees dragging my bike behind me.

23. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    Glad I could be of assistance!

DangerDirtyD and Cyclotourist like this.
  24. DangerDirtyD

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    I implied you all climb like goats. The last climb will be the home stretch after refueling at Angelus Oaks and bombing down Loch Leven. It's similar grade to the charge up to Sugarloaf Summit, except we wont be above 9,000' of elevation. If we're lucky, it'll be 90 degrees and we can all have salt stains on our kits.

25. DangerDirtyD

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    Shuttle is full. Bring a mask for the drive up and to enter the facilities at Angelus Oaks/Hangar 24.

26. DangerDirtyD

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
  27. Ocpop

Ocpop Well-Known Member

Name:
    Paul K
    Current Bike:
    Pivot trail
    So, this is my first big ride and I don’t really know what I’m getting into. Any tips or advise? For instance, should I take toilet paper? Couple of turkey legs for lunch? Does chamois butter really work? Thanks.

28. DangerDirtyD

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    Always bring toilet paper! It’s mountain money!

Best advice is pace yourself. Let the rabbits go off ahead and just stay in your comfort zone...then it becomes simple repetitive performance so you can go on all day. This is where the chamois butter is clutch! For me it is essential equipment on long rides. Vaseline or Neosporin or extra virgin olive oil can substitute as well. Any type of lube for the saddle contact point is definitely helpful (for me).

Bring a mask and cash for the shuttle ride up ($28) and to get food/drink refills at Angelus Oaks along the ride. We stop at a diner-type restaurant/market at mile 36 or so to refill supplies. We can take breaks prior to that to eat and rest as well if people decide, so your choice on how much food/water to haul. I suspect the spigot at SouthFork Camp is off, but we will check it on the shuttle drive up to know how much water to haul for the Wildhorse loop/first half of the ride until we reach Angelus Oaks. When in doubt, bring more water...and minty chewing gum, which will make your water supply last longer by keeping your mouth moist.

Make sure your bike is maintained as well. Brakes, cables, tires/sealant all in good shape.

29. Ocpop

Ocpop Well-Known Member

Name:
    Paul K
    Current Bike:
    Pivot trail
    Thanks, just what I’m looking for.

30. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    The restaurant has the best zuchni frys...
    And store w lots of drinks!!

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?