Broken fingerfrom

Discussion in 'Crash Confessions' started by Ray, Aug 22, 2015.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Ray

Ray Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    Rpe
    I just started riding with a newbie a few months ago I try to give back by showing new guys the trails and give them instructions on what to watch for to avoid injuries. So we just had some pretty good rain and I knew there was bound to be plenty of new ruts so as usual I fully explained to my buddy what to expect on chutes trail and as always let him go first so that I don't have to ride back up looking for him if he went down. Well it didn't take long for me to catch up until my front tire washed out hard. Well I cracked my helmet mild concussion and my middle finger pointing in the wrong direction and lots of road rash. I will need surgery to repair the finger. I just had my shoulder repaired last year. I missed a few days of work not bad. My bosses suggested that I take up a safer hobby to which I replied that I replaced my helmet the very next day. I'm not as young as I once was 54 I have no plans to stop shredding the trails. I would rather die doing something I love to do. I plan on sliding into the home plate of death with everything worn out no doner card needed. Let's face it we are all going to die some day may as well have fun along the way.

2. scan

scan iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    We're about the same age Ray, injuries aren't worth it, especially the ones that keep you off your bike!! Ride to ride another day is my motto!!

mike, herzalot, Faust29 and 2 others like this.
  3. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Hey Ray!
    First off bud, welcome to imtbtrails! The friendliest Mountain Bike Forum on the Planet!
    I'm 56 and it seems like the last couple of years has had its episodes of cycle down time. I'm finding that pushing hard is getting fewer and fewer. Oh, I love to rail me some singletrack with some good trustworthy friends, but I'm also finding that just getting out on some quality epics stuff and dropping the speed limit is pretty worth while too! Especially with quality friends!

Heal up my brothah, so we can ride another day! Hopfully together!

Mikie
    Frazier Park

mike, herzalot, Faust29 and 1 other person like this.
  4. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Welcome, Ray! I can relate to the broken finger... As I sit here typing one handed. :)
    This is a pretty friendly place... Post often and join the fun!

mike, Mikie and herzalot like this.
  5. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Hey Ray - welcome to the 50 plus club at IMTB - there are a lot of us on here. To each his own regarding risk/reward/recovery. We've all had our injuries and our tolerance for doing it again varies from your "die with my boots on, age be damned" attitude to the "walk today, ride tomorrow" mentality. Ironically, I think Rox gets the big balls award for disregarding age and potential injury. :thumbsup: o_O

mike, OTHRider, Mikie and 4 others like this.
  6. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    50+?? I posted in the wrong thread! My bad... I'm outta here. ;)

mike, Mikie, ridinrox and 2 others like this.
  7. gunga din

gunga din Member

Name:
    steve villmer
    I can also relate. dislocated my pinky finger on hawk. damn thing wouldn't go back in had to go to doc. by the way i'm in the 60 plus range.

mike, herzalot and Mikie like this.
  8. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    For @scan...

fingers.jpg

Right pinkie on left, damaged left pinkie on right. Six months on, it's better than ever and the swelling is way down. So many branch floggings along the way, a bunch of extended-limb landings, merciless acoustic guitar...I'll take what I can get at this point. ROM is sad, but it does create a variety of knuckle sizes which can be useful rock climbing on cracks.

I could create a gallery of effed up finger photos. That one is just my latest. :gotnothing::cool:

9. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Ray hasn't been seen since he started this thread. I'm guessing you're eligible for the 50+ now Steve? :whistling:

10. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Nope! :p

@UPSed - I have 6 months of 40s left. You're invited to the celebratory death march. :D

Motorway, Joplin, and Luge all in one ride? Hmmmmm...

11. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Done that already. :whistling:

12. scan

scan iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    No need, I've seen countless finger issues at work. Thanks for posting

13. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Sounds delightful! :whistling:

14. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
  15. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Don't make me do what I will do if a 50+ thread shows up on this site. :sneaky::eek::geek:

16. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    It's already a 50+ site anyways. :whistling:

17. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
  18. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Can we call it one age category? :geek:

Faust29, mountaingirl sara and UPSed like this.
  19. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Here is my multi-broken franken finger with 80% rom on warm days...

IMG_20200123_192001.jpg

20. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    So much for the hand model job... :unsure::cool:

Walleye, Faust29, rossage and 2 others like this.
  21. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Can still perform it's main mission as Chief nose picker and 5th assistant to Mary Palm and her sisters...:whistling:

herzalot, Cyclotourist, mike and 2 others like this.
  22. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Index finger right hand broken and re-broken several times because I wouldn’t stop riding. :oops:Ring finger broken in the 80s while drunk golfing with my future wife... should be a size 11, but it’s a 16. :p

left middle had 80 stitches when I took the top off loading a tractor onto a tractor trailer... Too bad it was auction day and it took forever to get through the herd of cows to get to the hospital. The State of NY eventually determined that was worth $900. I feel it every second of every day...

Pinky toe was partially separated with an ax... which cost me a brand new pair of sneakers! Never felt it, but the squish in the shoes was unmistakable. :D

And a knee full of track cinders... nope, I can’t clear that hurdle all the way up.