GoPro tips

Discussion in 'Video Cameras' started by buggravy, Aug 11, 2020.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    So I got a GoPro Hero 8 Black as a gift. This is uncharted territory for me. Any basic tips, or things to avoid? Recommended mount type and location? Editing software? Sick special effects that make it look like I'm going fast?

2. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    You need to find that switch that makes the trail look at least as gnarly as it is, rather than making it look flat and easy!

3. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    I've got a Hero 7 Black. I prefer the handlebar mount, but the chest mount provides a nice POV as well. I don't have the patience for editing so I just upload the raw clips I create. I use Vimeo to share my uploads.

This is a free editing site and I hear that it's a good one:
    https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/davinciresolve/

mountaingirl sara and buggravy like this.
  4. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Yo, Matt, I’ve produced a few clips in iMovie, it’s easy out the gate. Forming some idea for the final vid before vidding can yield a more effective final product. The less it looks like raw helmet cam footage the more interesting it is when shared IMO.

That aside, it’s fun to watch oneself ride if one never has. Enjoy! :thumbsup:

mountaingirl sara and buggravy like this.
  5. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    I've done a bit of time wasting on this topic. Of everything that I have read the one thing that sticks is... "The closer the camera is to the actual trail, the more the footage is going to show what it REALLY looks like. Chest mount is by far the most popular, then probably bar mount, and then helmet mount. Don't bother with a gimbal, GoPro 7 & up have excellent stabilization. The GoPro Quik app works well for short clips that take minimal amount of editing. Watch the videos below, they helped a bit for me. The first one is my fave!

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?