REI/Santa Monica got looted

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by chimpanzee, Jun 1, 2020.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. chimpanzee

chimpanzee Member

Name:
    B Young
    Video of looters in Santa Monica came over KCBS2 just now. Awful.

Camera positioned outside REI. 1 guy got a Cannondale Lefty 29'er, other guy got a hybrid. 3rd guy got a road bike. Some guy walked out with surfboard, hopped on motorbike (accomplice driving)..sped away

REI.jpg

2. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I saw some of the stores on Colorado Blvd. in Pasadena boarding up yesterday morning... Preparing for the human hurricane. :thumbsdown:

3. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    With a 6:00-6:00 curfew, I guess we can say goodbye to our Dawn Patrol rides for the time being. :thumbsdown:

4. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    During the '92 roots I was a bike messenger in DTLA. I left downtown when they started burning cop cars. I rode through 7 miles of riot to get to my apartment in Hollywood.
    No one was home.
    Then several minutes later, a commotion, the door opens, and my brother and our roommate come in carrying several cases of beer.
    "They're looting the liquor store!"
    You're looting the liquor store!
    Pass me a beer.

UPSed, shawndoh, Danmtchl and 6 others like this.
  5. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Assholes...

heyitsdave, HBkites, Danmtchl and 6 others like this.
  6. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Wait..::.so you are all telling me that protesting means breaking into business and stealing sh!t....makes me feel more and more sorry for the minorities that are claiming they don’t have a voice. Their voice is loud and clear....theft and destruction. Way to take 1 step forward and 5 steps back.

heyitsdave, HBkites, Danmtchl and 7 others like this.
  7. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    You can see the looting crews in the videos. They come in small gangs, almost always wearing black hoodies, masks, and backpacks.
    They don't waste time throwing rocks at windows, they smash them with hammers. The next guy busts out the lock cutters and it's on.
    Particularly successful crews will fill waiting vehicles with merchandise and escape.
    I watch them.totally gut a Hello Kitty store on Melrose, c'mon man, Hello Kitty
    The cops are like 2 blocks away trying to figure out how to enforce the curfew.

heyitsdave, UPSed, HBkites and 5 others like this.
  8. Derkderkall

Derkderkall iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2020 Specialized Fuse 29
    “Certain conditions continue to exist in our society, which must be condemned as vigorously as we condemn riots. But in the final analysis, a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it that America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the Negro poor has worsened over the last few years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice, equality and humanity. And so in a real sense our nation’s summers of riots are caused by our nation’s winters of delay. And as long as America postpones justice, we stand in the position of having these recurrences of violence and riots over and over again. Social justice and progress are the absolute guarantors of riot prevention”- Dr. Martin Luther King

9. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    Pretty sure the looters are a different group entirely from the people who are there to protest. Looters are just there to cause havoc and loot.

10. MrGreedom

MrGreedom Well-Known Member

Name:
    Ryan
    Current Bike:
    BH Lynx6
    Sad that this still rings true.
    But what is to be expected when 2 years of kneeling in protest was disrespectful and inappropriate.
    When the response to Black Lives mattered is answered with Blue/All Lives matter
    99 years after the bombing of Black Wallstreet systematic oppression continues limiting resources

But a caged bird stands on the grave of dreams
    his shadow shouts on a nightmare scream
    his wings are clipped and his feet are tied
    so he opens his throat to sing.

The caged bird sings
    with a fearful trill
    of things unknown
    but longed for still
    and his tune is heard
    on the distant hill
    for the caged bird
    sings of freedom.
    -Maya Angelou, “Caged Bird”

Luis, Danimal, Danmtchl and 10 others like this.
  11. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

Oh, I get exactly what’s going on. My point is their voice is being undermined by the same group that just wants to be criminals.

12. fos'l

fos'l Well-Known Member

Name:
    Bob
    Current Bike:
    2005 Santa Cruz Superlight
    That's the same problem I see. The rioting/looting/vandalism is what is remembered rather than the peaceful message, and nothing changes except that (IMO) the hoodlums/ criminals should be treated as terrorists.

heyitsdave, UPSed, Danmtchl and 4 others like this.
  13. Derkderkall

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2020 Specialized Fuse 29
    I wouldn't equate smashing a window and grabbing some overpriced shoes with something like the unnamed individual who shot up a black church in 2015 (one of maaaany examples)

He got the death penalty correct? Not even labeled a terrorist. ...... Funny.... Another strand of the fabric we can follow to current events....

Danmtchl, rossage and MrGreedom like this.
  14. littlewave

littlewave Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash (Alu)
    Uhh...

Danmtchl likes this.
  15. deesalsa25

deesalsa25 Member

Name:
    Dee
    I saw that happening on TV. It sucks. I hate what I saw. Thank goodness it didn’t come to Pasadena.

I support good cops that want to protect communities. I don’t support evil cops that hurt and kill because they can.

I support the BLM movement and their desire and goal for institutional change. As a minority I can relate to what they’re going through. I DO NOT SUPPORT looters, rioters, thieves, fire starters, instigators, and people that throw bricks at police officer heads.

My worthless 1 cent.

kingaucho, HBkites, Danmtchl and 9 others like this.
  16. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Another failure of leadership.

Martin Luther King taught how to peacefully protest and how to be highly effective without stooping to senseless violence. I don’t think the marginalized populations have that leadership among them right now.

The looters are nasty opportunists who at best justify their actions with twisted logic of “I deserve this stuff and they deserve to be vandalized and looted...”

HBkites, Danmtchl, rossage and 5 others like this.
  17. MrGreedom

MrGreedom Well-Known Member

Name:
    Ryan
    Current Bike:
    BH Lynx6
    Right! I think what would have been if the Black Panther Party wasn't dismantled by the CIA. We would have civil rights leaders front and center to spearhead things like this. Instead theses cultural figureheads are silenced. Instead the platforms are given to musicians and athletes and those are our only community leaders and role models of any notoriety.

Meanwhile, the KKK is permitted to have trademarks, active chapters all through the nation, and is silently embraced to allow their agenda to move forward.

Luis, kingaucho, Danmtchl and 3 others like this.
  18. Derkderkall

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2020 Specialized Fuse 29
    I think it is also important to remember that, yes, there are those there to cause trouble. As discussed there is also a lack of leadership. We have huge numbers of folks who are frustrated with many different issues, any who are were angry, and already at the tipping point. Unfortunately with no focus of that energy, this can be one of the results.

Keep in mind, we are seeing only small fraction of the thousands and millions locally and worldwide. just to the left or right of the focal point of the news choppers, that are uniting in solidarity to push and demand change.

So, who here is going to step up, get off their keyboard and provide that leadership....?

Danmtchl and rossage like this.
  19. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    The police chief of Flint, Michigan took off his helmet and told the protestors "Let's turn this protest into a parade!"
    LAPD chief Moore did a primetime interview in full riot gear.
    Hmmmm
    Dress for the riot you want, not the protest they brought.

Rumpled, UPSed, MrGreedom and 4 others like this.
  20. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    I’ll ride the SquiggleBug and you ride the rigid, and we’ll both be safe!

21. Sasquatch9billion

Sasquatch9billion iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    trinidad j. mendez
    Yup! I was downtown at my office Saturday afternoon, the protestors were peaceful; families, activists from community groups, and Anarchist groups as well. Very strong police presence, I did have to show my critical worker ID.

Yesterday evening my good friend who is a photographer went downtown to shoot and got pulled over without credentials; he got cuffed and had his car towed. They processed him and let him go at twin towers about three hrs. later and he walked home to El Sereno.
    He told me this morning that the evening protestors seem to be mostly people out to blow-off steam or cause damage. He did say there were very few protestors out downtown but an overwhelming police presence.

MrGreedom, Danmtchl, herzalot and 3 others like this.
  22. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Of course our Chief is going to be over prepared. This is a Liberal state. Everything is more dangerous and more risky here. :facepalm:

For example, everything in Cali causes cancer. You see it posted everywhere here. But you cross the state lines into the next state and those warnings disappear. :rolleyes:

Danmtchl likes this.
  23. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    My career offers me the opportunity to lead everyday. I hope I am doing some good. I'll never really know for sure.

I'm pretty sure I couldn't be much of an effective leader for any marginalized group, given my background.

Unless that marginalized group is the 27.5" wheeled bike lovers that have been pushed out of the market by - or forced to join - the oppressive wagon wheelers and their corporate power structure!

tick, shawndoh, HBkites and 8 others like this.
  24. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    As y'all continue this conversation, I would like to respectfully encourage everyone to not think in absolutes. If 10,000 people are marching peacefully and 1,000 start rioting, that means 90% of the people out there are following in the steps of King, Chavez, and Parks.
    Likewise if 10% of cops are misusing their authority, then 90% are doing their best to do their job and to protect and serve. I believe it's smaller than 10% in either of those example, but it's a good place to start.

Condemn lawbreaking loudly, but condemn injustice louder.

shawndoh, scan, HBkites and 9 others like this.
  25. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    Thank you for the levity. Great post!

Danmtchl and herzalot like this.
  26. jimbowho

jimbowho Well-Known Member

Name:
    james jim jimmy
    Current Bike:
    GT sensor
    Tens of thousands of good people NOT ONE or 0% turned in the pond scums ruining peoples lives. Coincidence ???

Danmtchl likes this.
  27. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    This, a million times over. Binary thinking is so easy, because you don't really have to think. Dem/Repub, stay home/open up, cops/minorities, the list is endless. Draw a line in the sand and then just emote about it. It seems to be our default setting, even though the truth, answers, and progress invariably lie in the nuance.

Derkderkall, scan and Danmtchl like this.
  28. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    One hundred percent perfect example of absolutism.
    Thanks for the example!

Danmtchl, rossage and buggravy like this.
  29. littlewave

littlewave Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash (Alu)
    You're talking police not turning in police who beat on (and murder) people, right?

Derkderkall and Danmtchl like this.
  30. jimbowho

jimbowho Well-Known Member

Name:
    james jim jimmy
    Current Bike:
    GT sensor
    You can play word games all you want, I just won't buy into the nice peaceful marchers. your glass is half full, I like that.

Danmtchl and Cyclotourist like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?