Strava haters rejoice!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Obsidian, May 20, 2020.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    I've been paying for a while. I am honestly not sure what value I get from it. I would need to evaluate that and see if it is still worth it. But that is separate from the new paid issue as I have been paying.

I use Strava mostly for the social aspect of it. It is linked to my Garmin devices, as well as Training Peaks (which I don't currently use) and Trailforks (I try to make trail reports). I also like to track mileage on Strava, but could easily do that with Garmin. I don't think Strava does anything that Garmin can't do besides cross platform segments (though not all Garmin users are Strava users, so maybe a wash). But I have been tracking bike/shoe mileage for nearly a decade now.

I like the segments, and I do compete on them on occasion. But there is a time and place, I always yield the trail so sometimes I just lose my effort, oh well. I like being in the top 1% on segments that have meaning to me (too many junk segments). But I don't live by it and my riding wouldn't suffer if I stopped doing it. But I do like the social part, so I stick around. Weird as I am so anti social. Maybe I am just attention seeking?

Faust29, heyitsdave, HBkites and 9 others like this.
  2. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    That was a great response Josh...

Sidewalk, Cyclotourist and mtnbikej like this.
  3. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    In this thread it’s more like:

STRAVA doesn’t hurt people, people are hurting STRAVA.

4. Dirtrider....

Dirtrider.... Well-Known Member

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley V4
    Strava has expanded my riding world. I've been able to see where others are riding especially in areas i haven't been before. Just like the last WW group ride, i was able to copy that route and then ride it solo. This feature is nice since i'm super old and slow and cant keep up with other riders on "social" group rides.

I don't use many features and probably do not know about most of the paid features. I am a paid subscriber for a few years. I figure if i'm using their platform, then why not support them. To me its similar to supporting a LBS for a part i could have easily bought online.

I do smh when seeing people recording their rides on Strava in closed areas.

I'm curious what "other" apps you are using... i've read a few comments saying there are better apps out there... like what?

5. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    I pay for it. I don't pay attention to leaderboards because, why? I use it to track my stuff, my efforts, and to see what a select few others are doing - mostly for ideas on new places to ride (road, gravel and dirt). Whatever it is I'm paying for meets my needs, so I keep paying. It's a pittance every month.

Sidewalk, Faust29, HBkites and 3 others like this.
  6. Grego

Grego iMTB Addict

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    I don't pay for it. Use it to keep track of my rides, stats, social stuff and create routes. Well, no longer create routes. That's the only thing I'll miss. Maybe I'll pony up, maybe not. Can still create routes with free google earth, just not as easy.

Faust29, heyitsdave, HBkites and 3 others like this.
  7. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Ride with GPS is awesome for building routes. Check it out.

Sidewalk, Faust29, Grego and 3 others like this.
  8. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, black one, Ti one
    The free version of Ride with GPS works awesome for creating routes. @Mikie and I have been using it for a while and knock on wood the search and rescue guys haven’t been called out to look for us lately.

Faust29, mike, HBkites and 6 others like this.
  9. Grego

Grego iMTB Addict

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    Will have to check that out. Thanks!

Mikie likes this.
  10. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    The only downside of Ride with GPS is that its elevation numbers are, shall we say, unrealistic. In both directions.

herzalot and Mikie like this.
  11. MrGreedom

MrGreedom Well-Known Member

Name:
    Ryan
    Current Bike:
    BH Lynx6
    I've paid for Strava on and off over the years. At first because I supported the innovation, and I love unnecessary amounts of data. I canceled when they broke out all the Summit packs and I could no longer have what I wanted without paying for things I didn't. I came back when I got a GPS and wanted to steal routes. I canceled when I found a chache of .gpx files. Comparing myself v my bros wont bring me back. But I do understand that is all they have that is proprietary.

12. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Thanks for the tip. My Tahoe bros are all in on Ride With GPS. I haven’t made the leap. Trailforks Route Planner works okay meanwhile, price is right.

13. ThomasF

ThomasF Member

Name:
    Tom
    Current Bike:
    Pivot
    I have seen people post mileage and elevation for their rides. I am not a hater but like to know how much you enjoy the ride and experience. I don’t care how much better I am than you. I let people pass going up or down. No app

Mikie, Cyclotourist, UPSed and 2 others like this.
  14. Derkderkall

Derkderkall iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2020 Specialized Fuse 29
    So here is where I notice the difference. I typically use Strava for scouting trails.... To see what's open. If I look on a segment I can see that 20 people rode it yesterday, then it's likely ok.
    For example my wife mentioned doing a family ride on Monday. I wanted to check and see if the west fork off hwy39 had been getting any use. Now I can't.

This might be a prime time for something like trail forks to move in...
    It already had ride logs... I'm sure they could easily add segments. Maybe not as many micro segments as on Strava, but break a trail up into major large sections

Sidewalk, Mikie, Faust29 and 3 others like this.
  15. CBone

CBone iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Tucker
    Current Bike:
    Intense Primer
    He’s not?

:)

Cyclotourist and Old&InTheWay like this.
  16. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    I get your gist, but had to laugh at that sentence. :)

17. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    Ok I can’t take it anymore! I’m buying the Strava!

18. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    Strava merits aside..

It takes talented people to build deploy and run Software / Apps

There is compute, network and storage...a lot of it.

It's a low / no ad model..

Pay or Pay Not... Everything for free is not a sustainable business model.

19. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    If I used it, I would not hesitate to pay a nominal fee for the reasons above. ^^^^

20. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    :laugh:

Obsidian, DangerDirtyD and Mikie like this.
  21. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
  22. Dr. Wellington Yueh

Dr. Wellington Yueh Member

Name:
    Tom Kenney
    As someone who was nearly run off a mountain road by a Strava Monkey, despite giving him the other 4m+ of road to pass, I say "Good riddance!"

Obsidian, Faust29, bvader and 2 others like this.
  23. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    That person will probably pay as he probably can't live without it....AND I suspect that person would be a StravAHole with or without Strava.

I have been nearly knocked off trails by agro XC racer dudes long before Strava ..BUT it definitely seems to have exaggerated / increased and given a name too it

Maybe the frequency will reduce if that temptation is removed from some of the borderline folks.

24. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Sidewalk, herzalot, mtnbikej and 3 others like this.
  25. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    Reminds me of a cute story when my son was a kid. At a swim meet after a particularly good swim, he proudly ran over to his coach and exclaimed "I set a new Alex Peterson world record!"

That's how I feel about biking... or for that matter any time I work out. If I think I can beat my best time, I go for it. If not, I enjoy the ride for what it is. There are some rides when I feel it is a major accomplishment just to finish :)

I know I am faster than many my age, but not as fast as some. My last half marathon, at age 50, I finished strictly in the middle of the pack. But I don't know too many 50+ guys running half marathons :) So I rarely use Strava now, and instead track all my workouts on my PC using my Garmin. And the one Strava feature I couldn't care less about is how my time stacks up to some stranger's.

Now that I am living in North Carolina, I'm thinking about hiking the Appalachian Trail. I won't be doing it for time.

Sidewalk, heyitsdave, scan and 5 others like this.
  26. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    For what it is worth, I have TF linked to my Strava, and I try to update trail conditions.

27. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    It seems Strava is the only place you can go to get away from the political stuff these days. Might be worth the $5 a month?

28. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    It would seem. But I'm sheriff-ing up. :thumbsup: Tired of it.

Faust29, mtnbikej, pperrelle and 2 others like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?