Santiago Oaks long time ago

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by konakc, May 5, 2020.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. sir crashalot

sir crashalot iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    And only right after a big storm or in a wet winter

mtnbikej likes this.
  2. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Exactly

3. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    3x7 Deore LX on my Nishiki Cascade...
    Bummed that the video ended when it did, it would have answered a question... 2004 was a wet winter...I’m pretty sure that’s when the creek widened. Guys were fly fishing Santiago Creek—Irvine Lake had just planted a massive amount of trout when the lake crested the spillway and sent them into the creek.

Oaken, konakc, DangerDirtyD and 2 others like this.
  4. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    i think it was around that time 2004 when we did the creek crossing.. not the first crossing right after chutes ends but further down near in irvine park after the flat single tracks.. the wider crossing.. it was common to see water there during the winters.. albeit a trickle most times.. what was uncommon was the pass our knees crossing and carry our mtbks over our head... never seen it that wide and deep before...

But now even after rains/ wet winter/ the water pretty much stops flowing a day or two after...
    I havent encountered water there in at least 10 years... same as Carbon Canyon on telegraph...

MolarM likes this.
  5. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    back then after you did chutes, you either had to go back up where you came down, or go all the way around, pass the dam and go up 3 B's ..

6. Dirtrider....

Dirtrider.... Well-Known Member

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley V4
    Thats a great video and fun to read all your experiences. I'm only a newbie to Irvine Park and Santiago Oaks. 2014 was my rookie year in this area i believe. time flies!!

7. fos'l

fos'l Well-Known Member

Name:
    Bob
    Current Bike:
    2005 Santa Cruz Superlight
    I remember on the "upper" trail from the entrance near IP to the dam, you could barely see the tops of some trees. An amazing winter. Also, some acquaintances on Maple Springs got caught in one of the storms, had their bikes washed away getting back and never found them.

8. uzziboy

uzziboy Member

Name:
    aaron
    Current Bike:
    Intense tracer 275 carbon
    I wholeheartedly agree 100%. i nearly cried when i went down the first time after the tragedy. I just started going back to oaks after a long hiatus. Man i love that place. No matter what the trails are like, best bang for your buck.

9. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    I agree. I was horrified when they first did that. The good thing is that it is now pretty clear all they did was bulldoze dirt over the rocks. Much of Barham is back to its former glory. It really does not make much difference on the downs, but I do remember the climb being much more technical.

Barham is an oddly fun trail for what is basically a fire road ... I love taking the options off to the sides while coming down from the top of Deer.

10. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    It was better back when I shot that video.....it was a 1 way trail....yeah, a few would climb it, but they were few and far between. You could fly without worrying about uphill traffic.

People used to not ride at the Oaks because it was a hard climb....which kept the numbers down. However once they dumbed down the trails....well, you know what it's like now.

Mtnbikejwl, konakc, uzziboy and 6 others like this.
  11. fos'l

fos'l Well-Known Member

Name:
    Bob
    Current Bike:
    I felt the same when they emasculated the "B's".

Cyclotourist, MolarM and Obsidian like this.
  12. fos'l

fos'l Well-Known Member

Name:
    Bob
    Current Bike:
    I'm just thankful for the many years before it became a subdivision of Irvine Park.

Cyclotourist and MolarM like this.
  13. MolarM

MolarM Member

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz 5010
    Do any of you remember the whole scene with “the mad pooper”? That guy was crazy! For those that don’t know, there was a guy who took care of business at a certain part of a trail there. Every day, same spot. People were going nuts, and he was almost caught one day. He escaped, and it never happened again. To this day, there is still an official “No Dumping” signpost at the spot. Makes me laugh

14. Oaken

Oaken Well-Known Member

Name:
    CeeJay
    The Phantom Pooper. It was definitely a running joke/tragedy.

I miss the old Chutes. It just had better flow.
    Things change. The Luge was better too.
    ‘back in my day....’

there used to be a vid of Tim Commerford (RAtM) doing some big drops at Oaks.

Faust29, fos'l, Cyclotourist and 2 others like this.
  15. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    Yup.....we found out who he was. Turns out, a brain tumor was causing some irrational behavior.

Faust29, Cyclotourist, MolarM and 2 others like this.
  16. MolarM

MolarM Member

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz 5010
    What??? I’m so sorry, I hadn’t heard that. I wouldn’t have brought that up in a joking manor. Shoot, sorry

17. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:

Oh, it's still a joking manor. And the ranger put that sign there because of the problem.

18. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    Let's not become old farts that only remember the good old days...
    But I still can't understand why people climb barnam? Flying down barnam is one of the great joys in life.. esp if u don't stop and continue down cactus ...

19. fos'l

fos'l Well-Known Member

Name:
    Bob
    Current Bike:
    He was one of a few people that could ride up from the bottom without stopping (there was one nasty hill before they put in a "ride around"; my daughter and I were descending once many years ago and encountered him; turned her into an MTB'er) AFAICR.

Faust29 and Oaken like this.
  20. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    the old alignment would just encourage the transition to ebikes.
    There are good loops that include a climb up the ridge, especially for the riders who prefer to skip Cactus (I’ve now broken an ankle and a clavicle on that trail :bang::poop::mad:). I’m not an advocate of the folks that try to PR down Coachwhip with skids and such, but it is a good option for the less adventurous.

in the old days, if I was short on time I’d skip the Bs, HAB up Waterfall and pedal up the ridge a ways before dropping in to chutes.

Faust29, fos'l and mtnbikej like this.
  21. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    i just biased b/c I start off the mabury area entrance... not irvine park entrance.. And always start w/ the B's...
    I guess if you start w/ chutes climb..

tick likes this.
  22. fos'l

fos'l Well-Known Member

Name:
    Bob
    Current Bike:
    Maybe it would encourage an "e" for some, but I always enjoyed the challenge. Anything on an e-MTB is the motor's accomplishment IMO. Not that it isn't fun or exercise, but let's not kid ourselves.

Faust29 and Oaken like this.
  23. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    Hab up waterfall instead of the 3 B's??? That's like hab up motorway....

Faust29 likes this.
  24. fos'l

fos'l Well-Known Member

Name:
    Bob
    Current Bike:
    Didn't want to start a thread just to ask: anybody ride there this PM. If so, how were the water crossings? Thanks!

Added after --- Meant to ask about Maple Springs.

tick and Faust29 like this.
  25. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    ????? Please tell me you were hoping to go fishing. Oaks is a mud bog after light rain.

Oaks won’t be rideable by non-douchebags for 2-4 days. Douchebags will be able to ride it by tomorrow. I haven’t driven by, but typically we get knee deep ruts at the entrance and trail of mud on Jamboree from the guys who just can’t get a clue.

What does it matter anyway. Horses are probably already out there making 2 foot deep postholes.

UPSed, fos'l, herzalot and 3 others like this.
  26. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    Exactly! I hope he was trolling. Oaks is super muddy and closed.

Monday or Tuesday ... maybe. Not that it will stop the "equestrians" and the 1,500(?) pound horses from digging giant ruts. :mad: Mountain bikers are the problem though. :laugh:

UPSed, fos'l, tick and 2 others like this.
  27. fos'l

fos'l Well-Known Member

Name:
    Bob
    Current Bike:
    Sorry, I meant Maple Springs; I hardly ever go to Oaks because these days too many people, and never ride where it's muddy or where I could compromise the trails.

herzalot, Danimal, tick and 3 others like this.
  28. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    I saw this on an Intense Facebook group yesterday ... his enduro bike identified as an electric. The appropriate attachments were added.

Well Sh!t, I thought it was funny. ;)

144003632_3869570846424531_981310369340538214_o.jpg

29. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    I'm not. Can't tell if people are referring to him positively or negatively(?)

Faust29 and UPSed like this.
  30. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Hopefully positively. Hans is a mountain biker who's been maintaining and building trails for over 30 years.

Voodoo Tom, Obsidian and Faust29 like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?