What's your favorite hydration pack?

Discussion in 'Hydration Systems' started by kazlx, Aug 1, 2018.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    I am a bottle guy....i dread those days when I have to carry a pack.

Been doing it a lot this winter....mostly because of weather and the requirement of extra clothing layers.

As we start to warm up, it'll be back to bottles.

I know how far 1 or 2 bottles will get me. Yes, it is a calculated risk. I have had those days were I miscalculated.

I've had the same Camelbak for about 10 years now. Don't know which model it is....but is it similar to the MULE. 100 oz of water. Enough space for too much extra crap.

I am one of those that needs to be better about drinking more water during the normal days. I just don't get thirsty.

Also believe that you tend to drink more than you need when you carry a pack....mostly because it's right there. Suz used to go through a full pack of water in a very short ride because it was convenient...not cause she was thirsty. She now runs bottles, and even with only 1 kidney doesn't drink as much. She does drink water constantly during the day though. Being in better condition helps....alot.

I'll be using my pack for KoKo...... :gag:

2. Stkx66

Stkx66 iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower 27+/ 29r
    Last Saturday's ride for me was 2 scoops of Tailwind. That's the first time I've ever used more than one scoop on a ride. I mixed the second scoop out on the trail. I usually start my rides with a bowl of oatmeal, yogurt, orange juice and 2 cups of coffee. I will eat a little lighter and consume more Tailwind sooner. - give that a try. I'm still learning and am willing to try different combinations to see what works best:rolleyes:

3. Derkderkall

Derkderkall iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2020 Specialized Fuse 29
    That osprey syncros peaked my interest... right now I have 2 cages on my bike... so for a 2-3 hour ride I'm usually fine....

I like the convenience of a pack... just not the sweaty back...

4. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    My constant companion at home is a 28oz stainless steel tumbler that is kept full of ice and water. Most days I only drink water and coffee.
    I wake up at least once a night to take a piss and I'll take a sip of water from the tumbler before I lay back down.
    Preventive maintenance...

During the cold and wet rides this winter my water consumption dropped way down. I wouldn't even touch a bottle until about an hour in...
    Today I drank about 12oz on a 1:40 ride 14/2000

Oaken, Danmtchl, Cyclotourist and 5 others like this.
  5. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Another advantage of bottles – you know how much you have left! That last sip off a bladder can be heartbreaking...

Danmtchl, Fijirob, Mikie and 7 others like this.
  6. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    100% in agreement there. Every time you grab your bottle you know exactly how much you have left.

Danmtchl, Mikie, mtnbikej and 4 others like this.
  7. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    I always leave a sip or two in the bottle before I switch to my other one. It's my extra, last mile gulp!

OTHRider, Danmtchl, Mikie and 5 others like this.
  8. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I always know how much I have left in my Camelbak...
    I do the reach behind and quick double squeeze. :geek: I have learned from how fast it responds, how much water I have left.
    Now that I have left THAT can of worms to be opened...
    can-of-worms1.jpg

9. CBone

CBone iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Tucker
    Current Bike:
    Intense Primer
    I got this Osprey Viper 9 a couple of months ago. 2.5L bladder was one of the reasons. I'm still remembering running out of fluids riding in Moab several years ago. Moab tip - don't roll into Moab on the afternoon of May 31 and ride Slickrock trail and then get up early the next mourning to ride Porc. rim. We were thrashed half way down. Temp was mid 80s.I took 70oz. in the hydro pack, a Gatorade and a water bottle - all gone before the bottom of the trail. Then you have to pedal blacktop back to town :facepalm::bang:

I haven't used it yet. We are hopefully going to ride in St. George next month. I will give it a couple of shakedowns before then.
    I currently use an old Dakine I got on closeout in 2012.
    The Dakine has been fine but it was always too small for me. This one has .5 ltr more bladder capacity. The Osprey also has more internal capacity with a nice stuff pocket for extra clothes/jacket.

I also prefer the top closer bladder. Personal pref. I'm sure but it is easy to dry out/clean after a ride.

Osprey is closing these out on their site. Looks like only red and green left.

Great deal at $65.

https://www.osprey.com/us/en/product/viper-9-VIPER9.html

A couple of pics. I hope this makes sense. Flu and temp so not thinking clearly.

pack.jpeg

bladder.jpeg

10. Stubborn Approach

Stubborn Approach Member

Name:
    Tony
    Current Bike:
    2022 Pivot Firebird
    I just bought a Camelbak Kudu 10 w/ CE2 protection. Had a little OTB that left with me a moderately lacerated kidney almost 2 weeks ago.

5 days ER observation & 4 transfusions.... not a mark or bruise on me, because (I thought) I had proper gear on.

Would have loved to learn about this any other way besides the hard way.

I ride hard pretty much all the time, and I may be alone in this area, but to me, protection is comfort. Too old, too much to lose not protecting my organs.

sLG4wgW.jpg

OTHRider, Danmtchl, Faust29 and 5 others like this.
  11. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Good point Tony!
    I was bombing Golden Eagle one day and zigged when I should have zagged and did a spectacular superman right over the bars, but did a flip and landed on my back right in the Briar patch (those that have ridden GE know where I'm talking about) I had my Mule Camelbak on at the time and the landing was.... fluffy.
    First thing I thought was, "Sure glad I had my Camelbak on!

OTHRider, Danmtchl, Faust29 and 6 others like this.
  12. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    I tend to drink way more when I have bottles because I have to be more conscious about drinking, since I don't have the hose there. Seeing the level in the bottle is a reminder of how much I've had to drink and how much I should be drinking. So I tend to take deeper pulls off the bottle than the little sips I take with a hose. The hose is always there and available so I don't really think of it. Like you I don't often get thirsty, except when it's really hot or humid. There have been many times I have done a whole 3-weekend road trip of big rides without filling up the bladder. And it's not that I forget...I'll pull it out of the pack and it's only down 5-10 oz. No need to fill up.

Danmtchl, Faust29, HBkites and 6 others like this.
  13. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
  14. da big hills

da big hills iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    cagey
    Current Bike:
    enduro 29
    mine has no water in it, but has a tiny tool kit, first aid kit, phone, keys, extra bandana and a back up light. Never used the light, but it is a backup.

OTHRider, Danmtchl, mike and 2 others like this.
  15. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Hydration strategies vary by ride, so it's not really possible for me to have one favorite. One or two bike bottles on the frame, a hip pack, hydration pack, backpacks of varying size...they are all my favorite in the right scenario. Mix and match. Sometimes I run a bike bottle and something with a drink tube. Sometimes one or the other, sometimes neither.

Danmtchl, UPSed and Cyclotourist like this.
  16. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Thread revival...

I'm on the hunt for a good backpack designed for the guy who hates backpacks. :laugh: I currently have an Osprey, a larger Camelbak, and a minimalist thing that one of the kids left...

Anyone have experience with this company: https://uswe.com/en-us/mtb-hydro Specifically, I like the look of the 3L model with the detachable front pocket that makes it a 2L for lighter days.

Thoughts?

Mikie, Old&InTheWay, Danmtchl and 2 others like this.
  17. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    I ordered one a year or two ago but ended up returning it because of the cheesy bladder. I guess you could always use one from a Camelbak? The pack itself seemed to be well constructed and fit like a glove.

OTHRider, herzalot, Mikie and 3 others like this.
  18. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Thanks, Ed... Decent info. I've been using a 2L bladder that I got off Amazon, and I have a couple Camelbak bladders. The fit of the pack is what I'm after. :thumbsup:

OTHRider, herzalot, Mikie and 3 others like this.
  19. Stkx66

Stkx66 iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    https://www.bing.com/ck/a?!&&p=4497...=a1aHR0cDovL3d3dy53aW5nbnV0Z2Vhci5jb20v&ntb=1

After owing multiple Camelbaks over the years I bought this 2.5 Wingnut Backpack for Kokopelli 3 years ago. It has 3 liter quality bladder plus I put an additional extra water bottle in along with other items- Garmin Inreach and all the other small items needed for long rides. It cost me $ 125.00 at the time I bought it. They do have smaller and bigger options. It rides low on your back which lets your upper back breath better. I'm quite happy with this Wingnut product. American made.
    Its fair to say that I had most of these items in the bottom pic in this pack along with the extra water bottle. Items that I had 2 of in this pic were removed.

852A8A24-F957-40F9-8C57-8F8C6CB4EDBA.jpeg

0EF766B3-F1B3-43EF-99E1-BB1961F5126F.jpeg

2202C1B1-1B2E-4AEB-B644-4CE9BEB95D70.jpeg

20. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    I almost went with an USWE, but I'm a penny pincher. Been wearing a Camelbak Chase Bike Vest for close to two years now. Very minimal pack, besides water you can shove a mutiltool, windbreaker, and a few more SMALL items. I chose this one over the USWE not only cause price, but the Chase vest sits higher up on your back. It allows me to put water bottles in the jersey pocket without interference. Also, I prefered the how the vest has pockets on the front of the shoulder straps. Perfect place for Safety Break utensils, etc.

https://www.camelbak.com/recreation/shop/packs/bike/chase-bike-vest-50-oz/CB-2414.html

21. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Forgot about that one... The idea of opening up the back for air flow is appealing. I know that @mike also swears by them. Hmmm...

Thanks for the info Steve!

Sasquatch9billion likes this.
  22. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Reading the reviews now... :thumbsup:

Sasquatch9billion and UPSed like this.
  23. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
  24. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    I've had a couple wingnut packs. I really like the design and how much they can carry. Super light too. But that comes with a downside durability-wise. The first one I had pretty much fell apart on me. Zipper broke in a few spots so it became impossible to zip up fully. And straps were pulling out of the pack in multiple places. The other annoyance was the shoulder straps were very thin and would always get twisted up when putting the pack on. Pretty much every time.

A friend of mine pointed me toward Kriega https://kriega.com/hydration-packs. They are big in the moto world and make high quality stuff that doesn't bounce around. Similar quality level and cost to USWE. I don't think I'd buy a pack without being able to try it on, but you can at least add to the list to look at.

25. Stkx66

Stkx66 iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    I do agree that the straps get twisted and you have to take a moment to make sure they lie flat. I've had no other problems with mine.

Faust29 likes this.
  26. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5, Ripley & Mojo 4
    After adapting to a hip pack, I hate having anything on my back. I thought I’d still need a pack for the PCE and similar rides but that hasn’t been the case. The USWE stuff seems very well made and their followers are very loyal.

27. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I do have a Camelbak hip pack that I occasionally use, but it's never been my favorite...

I'm glad I asked the group about the USWE stuff. I don't think I've ever seen one in person, and didn't realize they were as popular as they are...

OTHRider, mtbMike and UPSed like this.
  28. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    I should add that the reason I tried the USWE was I ran into an XC racer type guy that had one on. I asked him about it and he said it was the best pack he had ever used for the type of riding he does. It literally looked like a monkey on his back.

mtbMike, Faust29 and mtnbikej like this.
  29. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    I carry water in a water bottle, sometimes two, but I almost never drink it so I can't see investing the $100 entry fee for a pack. :whistling:

Faust29 and herzalot like this.
  30. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    I'm kinda like that too. I only really gulp down the water if I have a Clif bar. Otherwise, on my little 2000' coastal rides, I rarely drain a bottle.

You and I are so much alike it's scary!

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?