Not a Good Time to Fight Physics

Discussion in 'Crash Confessions' started by herzalot, Mar 29, 2020.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Yesterday, clipped. Today, flats. Pedals had zero to do with this, other than I may have gotten more injured if clipped in.

2. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5, Ripley & Mojo 4
    Oh I don’t think pedals cause crashes but as you alluded to, I’m personally convinced that flats have saved me from potential injury on several occasions. I like how I can eject/get away from the bike when I feel things going bad....which doesn’t always happen but ever since getting REALLY hurt in 2014, it’s a spidey sense I’ve developed. Since that episode, my bike has crashed many times more than my body has.

3. MolarM

MolarM Member

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz 5010
    Glad to hear it wasn’t worse, and great that the ER wasn’t involved. What’s your line again? “Sending healing vibes, mojo, kismet, yahtzee, and anything else that will help with the soreness”! -All going your direction. Go a little easy for a bit

Luis, Danmtchl, Sassyquatch and 6 others like this.
  4. scan

scan iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    Dang, I can relate since I was hurt on MLK day, still fresh in my mind:thumbsup:. Take it easy. Think the new bike had anything to do with it?

5. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    Mr @herzalot glad you are mostly OK sure you will be a bit more sore in the coming days.

I predicted someone would succumb to the physics right there post re-route, I like being right but not in this case and certainly was not expecting you to pitch in.

I have wimped a bit these days and am being a bit extra careful these days. I haven't run TnA lately...:(

Heal up, count your blessings...

6. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    I don't think so. I've got a dozen solid rides on the Meg. I am pretty familiar with it, and I am not riding with that "new bike" fury that often fuels the first few rides. But I suppose there may be some nuances that I am not yet familiar with, but this was pretty routine. And, I don't think the tire slid out, I think I just got too close to the top of the berm and went over.

Blessings counted... :thumbsup:

scan, bvader, Danmtchl and 7 others like this.
  7. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Herz, let's see the bumps and bruises. Share some pics!

8. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Bruises are all internal except a swollen hand and scrape on my elbow. I was wearing knee pads and elbow/forearm guards.

Here's my swollen hand for your amusement:
    Hand 3-29-20.JPG

scan, bvader, Poofighter and 9 others like this.
  9. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    21 SSSSSSSSSlash!
    Healing vibes Herz. Hope you are back on 2 wheels soon . It sucks staring at a new rig and not being able to ride it. But at least you have something to look forward too.

herzalot and Sassyquatch like this.
  10. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    yikes

bvader, herzalot and Sassyquatch like this.
  11. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Doctor’s orders: no bass guitar for eight weeks! Hands and ribs take the longest to mend, so you better summon some patience, brother herz. You know the drill...

@scan asked if it was the bike. Of course it was the damn bike!!! When you buy a superbike one of your first duties is to make sure your abilities are not limited by it. :cool:

12. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    I’ll be riding by next week! :whistling::confused:

13. Poofighter

Poofighter Member

Name:
    Noel
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Shortboy
    Good to hear you'll be riding next week and BTW it kinda looks like a snake bite by your knuckles.
    About a month ago I bought my nephew a bike and christened it at your school parking lot.

mike, Cyclotourist and herzalot like this.
  14. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    I know. We have you on video. :sneaky:

15. Poofighter

Poofighter Member

Name:
    Noel
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Shortboy
    :laugh: Too funny.
    We went all over from the stadium to the middle school. I was really surprised he liked to bike, because like most kids these days most of his time is spent on the ipad.o_O:bang::(

mike, Cyclotourist and herzalot like this.
  16. SingleTrackJB

SingleTrackJB Well-Known Member

Name:
    SingleTrackRider
    Hea
    healing vibes :thumbsup:, hope you get better soon. Indeed good that it did not lead to an ER visit. I’d double check everything though. When i had my crash, i thought i was just bruised up but after weeks i realized i had actually broken my elbow :thumbsdown::unsure:

17. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Well that sucks!

So far I am pretty sure I didn't break anything. There's no malfunctioning or sharp, burning pain like you get with a fracture. I will keep my fingers crossed that there is no soft tissue damage in the shoulder itself.

Thanks for the outpouring of support. 'tis but a scratch!

18. Luis

Luis iMTB Addict

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    La Diabla
    No bueno dood
    :bang:

Healing vibrations, spinning vortexes, and 10 Heal Mary’s sent your way

19. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    I was raised Catholic and never heard them called Heal Marys! Thank you thank you thank you!

20. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    I was raised OTC (Other Than Catholic) and never heard that neither. But the healing libations, bueno. :p

21. littlewave

littlewave Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash (Alu)
    Glad you’re ok but you’re a ding dong for getting hurt right now!

22. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    'Twasn't my plan.... Just a little too comfy I guess. :facepalm:

23. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

You can still have spidey sense being clipped in. Personally I think most people who were clipped in and went to flats were in to tight, my clips are set to release really easy, gotta be aware of your feet, and after awhile my brain programed my feet to stay in and quiet, until that emergency when it does arise! Not trying to talk anyone back into clips, it’s just not really been a problem for me, and I don’t think flats would make me a better rider, I also don’t want to put in the time.

mike, Faust29, Walleye and 5 others like this.
  24. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    I have no problems getting clipped out. I run my clips tight. I've been riding in "bindings" for nearly 30 years. That said, riding flats is making me a better rider. I am not saying I need to stay on flats, I am saying I have had to be very conscious of my weight distribution and foot placement and use physics to lift my bike rather than just tugging up with my feet.

My motivation for riding on flats was riding Joplin. My prior experience on the trail there were many times when I just didn't want to clip in due to the uncertainty of the trail conditions, but without clipping in, I had zero effective place to put my foot. Changing to a skate-style 5.10 clip-in shoe definitely helped give me some unclipped purchase when needed, but still not like riding with flats. When I did Joplin (using flats) a couple of weeks ago, I was very happy with the choice to do so.

By the way, if your clips are set to release really easy, I hope you don't twist your foot a little while smoking through a rock garden or throwing a little style while jumping. Any slight twist of the foot can give you an unwanted release that would be - ugly. I know you are a fantastic rider, so this is not a problem for you. I have come out of my clips at inopportune times when they were set a little too light for my dainty self - including both of the situations I just mentioned. That's why I actually prefer the HT pedal's retention over Shimano - they can be set much tighter.

I am just really enjoying the two different styles of riding offered by two types of interface. The last two weeks, I rode in clips on Saturday and flats on Sunday. :thumbsup:

And now - back to feeling sorry for me for my crash. :whistling: :oops:

tick, mountaingirl sara, mike and 8 others like this.
  25. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    Hmmm sounds familiar... 3 years later I haven't gone back...

26. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    How’s the paw, Chris? I hope you give it the time it needs. Quick recoveries are great but complete is better! :)

I ask because my buddy reminded me. He dislocated his hand three months ago. No broken bones but soft tissue carnage, four rods and a lot of down time. He is still getting out of the weeds, one of the tuffest MFs I know.

Stay sane, heal strong. :thumbsup:

27. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Thanks for asking. My physical therapist brother in law believes it is a cracked/broken rib high on my rib cage. That sounds about right based on symptoms, and matches the mechanics of the crash. Frankly, it's more uncomfortable today than it has been since the moment I spit out the dirt. Not sure what that's all about. The other scrapes and bruises are fine, including my paw.

Looks like it's gonna rain/snow for the first three days of my spring break week - which would have been really frustrating if I were physically able to ride. Just gonna lay low and keep getting stuff done. Believe it or not, I have a lot of paperwork to catch up on for work.

UPSed, bvader, Cyclotourist and 3 others like this.
  28. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Sounding "good" to me. Meaning, like a normal rib injury that you can't do anything about anyway. Glad to hear the hand is coming along well. Sounds like it's just a matter of time now, familiar terrain no doubt. Eh, rain helps lots of things. Enjoy the great indoors. :thumbsup:

Cyclotourist, mtnbikej and herzalot like this.
  29. sir crashalot

sir crashalot iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    Bummer about the rib, heal up soon

30. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

Rib injuries....SUCK!!!!!!

My tumble at the Wrightwood Social the year before last kept me mostly off the bike for several weeks.

Heal up.

UPSed, bvader, herzalot and 2 others like this.