Good thing they didn't say BIKING trails...;)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mtbMike, Mar 23, 2020.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    I seldom if ever actually ride closed trails.

2. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    I think @sir crashalot and @Danimal missed the implied "wink" in your statement. However, it may be true after authorities see tomorrow's clusterfuck!

I will attempt an afternoon ride, if martial law isn't declared by then. Morning will be a complete and utter disaster on any "open" trail in LCWP, Aliso, Santiago Oaks, Whiting or the Santa Anas.

3. Old&InTheWay

Old&InTheWay Well-Known Member

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    2017 Intense Primer Pro
    Modjeska Canyon Road: No Parking! Including Tucker Center. Early Birds get to park 3 miles from Harding. Thinking they should just close the road to non residents on week ends. Maybe the same on Silverado Canyon Road past downtown.

4. sir crashalot

sir crashalot iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    I realized later

5. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    FFS. This is from Conejo Valley Open Space. Sounds like it was done merely as a reaction to the LA closure out of fear of overflow traffic:

As of Friday, March 27 ,all Conejo Open Space Conservation Agency (COSCA) trails are closed until further notice. The closure follows events in Los Angeles County that have led to the closure of nearly all open space areas in LA County and the added pressure these will add to local trails.

On March 22, the Mountains Recreation and Conservation Authority closed trails under their management in Los Angeles County. On March 23, Los Angeles County announced that all Los Angeles County multi-use trails were closed, and earlier today, Los Angeles County closed all County beaches and bike paths. Finally, a late release from California State Parks stated that State Parks located in Los Angeles County would close as well.

With few outdoor opportunities available in the greater Los Angeles area, the trails of the Conejo Valley were left among few remaining open trail systems in the region. Among the statements in the California State Parks release was that “This order will not be in effect for Ventura County as there is not been a Public Health closure, so the Point Mugu State Park area will not be included at this time.” The tacit recommendation for Los Angeles County residents to seek outdoor experiences in Ventura County is expected to generate visitor levels to the Conejo Valley that cannot be safely sustained on our local open spaces.

Since the Stay Healthy at Home orders were released and our community was asked to practice social distancing, our local trails have experienced local use beyond what we traditionally experience on the busiest of holidays.

Our local open spaces simply cannot absorb all outdoor visitation for both Ventura and Los Angeles Counties in a safe manner. Therefore, for the protection of the land and our visitors we must close our trails. This is only temporary, and in the meantime let’s come together as a community and support each other any way we can.

Cyclotourist and UPSed like this.
  6. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Oh well, another one bites the dust.

7. ndocpjf

ndocpjf Member

Name:
    Nick
    Current Bike:
    Giant Trance X
    Looks like the Santa Monica Mountains National Recreation Area might have just closed all trails starting today too. At least I had a chance to ride a couple of backbone sections today...

8. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Sycamore Canyon which is a state park is still open and no more traffic than usual according to a local.

9. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    I believe it actually closed yesterday. Did you see other riders out there?

10. ndocpjf

ndocpjf Member

Name:
    Nick
    Current Bike:
    Giant Trance X
    I know they closed the parking lots and such but an Instagram/Facebook post from today stated they were increasing measures to close trails. The trailhead/parking lot on Kanan was open like normal. No signs to suggest otherwise and there were probably 6-7 other cars in the lot.

UPSed likes this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?