Why I am leaving California

Discussion in 'Free Zone' started by BonsaiNut, Feb 14, 2020.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. da big hills

da big hills iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    cagey
    Current Bike:
    enduro 29
    it used to be that we had peak during the day when all those factories were using electricity and they would pump water uphill at night for energy storage. now they would have to pay you peak charges during the day when all those panels are generating so now they say peak is at night so they can charge you more when you are not generating. pretty slick. all those central sierra tunnels and castaic tunnels pump water, it would be interesting to know if they now pump uphill in the daytime

2. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    At what point is the break-even for a Tesla Powerwall?

3. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    That’s exactly what they do...when San O was operating they pumped uphill at night on nuke. Now they pump uphill on solar. And what solar they can’t use, they give to Arizona for pennies on the dollar, hence the new facilities.

4. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    That requires a lot of spreadsheet work, it depends on a whole lot of things...but the used car battery market will make home batteries very affordable as they start to become available in large quantities. So I’m holding off for a bit, even though the tax breaks are phasing out.

5. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Good points... thanks! Storage seems like a good thing to take advantage, but only if the costs make sense.

mountaingirl sara and tick like this.
  6. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    What has been the general trajectory of prices for solar installations over the last 5 - 10 years? I would have thought early adopters would pay the big $, and then costs would plummet as technology increased, but I have the sense that hasn't been the case. I never really looked that seriously into solar, but got a quote recently after buying an EV. Our roof makes things a bit more challenging, and it looked like a minimum of a 10-year break even for us, so that was a pass.

7. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    Prices have dropped but so have the government incentives and the deals with the utility keep getting worse. Overall it’s cheaper though. It’s worth getting a quote.

I have just about the perfect south facing roof, so that helps...

8. deesalsa25

deesalsa25 Member

Name:
    Dee
    I haven't read all the posts yet but I too, am trying to convince my GF to get out of Cali with me soon/one day. The cost of living in Cali is a joke. Maybe HTX or San Antonio. I will miss my sports teams...oh well I'm over it lol.

9. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    They have sports teams in Texas too. You've heard of the Astros right? They've been in the news a lot lately! :whistling:

10. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I’ll be in Dallas Fort Worth next week. Let you know if I see anything...:whistling:

11. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    Texas suckers you in with low home prices, then whacks you with 3% property tax, and the electricity is cheaper but you use so dang much if it keeping your 5000 square foot mcmansion habitable...

it has its upsides, but going outside to ride bikes isn’t popular in much of TX. Overeating is. The food is awesome and plentiful. Brisket, shipleys donuts and Cajun food could make Houston tolerable until you need to buy bigger pants.

12. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    I've been around a lot of places in the country. While many of them were nice to visit, very few were places I would want to live. Add to that, I have a job with a pension plan, hard to walk away from that.

I'll likely be sticking around for a long time, though I won't say I WON'T move. Just that this place has most of everything I currently want in life, and the downsides (cost of living) is manageable for me. I live really cheap energy wise. Fuel efficient vehicle, when I drive (mostly ride). Use very little water. Then again, I am planning on vanlife soon, so my ability to be wasteful will greatly go down from how I already lived (I think my typical electric bill was $40 a month before the divorce).

All those places with lower cost of living also come with lower paying jobs, and lower quality of life.

13. sir crashalot

sir crashalot iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    I lived in Houston. Never again, i dont care if its cheaper. Way too hot and no mountains. I want to leave Socal but thats the wrong direction.

14. HBkites

HBkites Well-Known Member

Name:
    Sharone
    Current Bike:
    Why S7, Revel Rascal, Spark RC
    Summer in Dallas is basically "100 days of 100+ deg"

15. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I was thinking of going and checking out the Bentonville Arkansas area. Rumor has it it’s a mountain biking Disneyland.

16. HBkites

Name:
    Sharone
    Current Bike:
    I'll be there this fall, and I'm looking forward to checking out the place myself.
    I signed up for the Oz Trail 50 in Oct.

Bentonville might be part of my "Grand Plan" of buying a few VRBO in desirable destinations and traveling between them when I retire.

17. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    I have half a dozen friends that live in Bentonville. All of them have trails within walking distance from their front doors. The only downside is most of the trails are relatively flat. Lots of pedaling. If my parents and inlaws weren't in SoCal, Bentonville would be where we'd be going. The Ozarks are beyond beautiful.

18. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    Maybe I'm in the minority, but it's fairly easy for me to not get all twisted up about the things I have little or no control over with this great state, and just chalk it up as the price of admission for living in this place of endless beauty, bounty, and opportunity. And I say that as someone who hails from, and still very much loves, the rural South. Not pretending the warts don't exist here, but I find myself thinking about them less and less, and not more and more. We may end up moving out of state when it comes time to retire, simply because it will be too hard to ignore what the proceeds from our real estate would do elsewhere. Or maybe I'll work a few extra years to help offset that. If I had it my way we'd go to Mammoth, but my better half won't have it. My way plan B would be to end up in Atascadero or Paso Robles, or maybe the other way down in Carlsbad. The wife wants Florida, which I simply couldn't handle. Maybe we'll end up being neighbors with @BonsaiNut.

19. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5, Ripley & Mojo 4
    Bentonville is definitely going off with the trail building and more importantly, it's sparked trail building all over the state. Some of the best trails are outsider of Bentonville nowadays. Slaughter Open in Bentonville gets plenty of hype but Hot Springs, Bella Vista and Mt Ida have great looking trails as well.

North Texas actually has plenty of MTB riders and XC style trail systems. I have a few buddies that are serious racers doing the 50 miles races all over teh region. One guy has been series champion at his age group more than once. When it's off season, the do a CX series where you race as hard and fast as possible for 45 minutes. You'd fit in great because they all wear spandex full time. My buddy insists it's cooler than baggies.

I have family in Houston, Killeen, Austin, Kerrville and several smaller farming areas like Yoakum, original home of Tandy Leather (I'm sure we all remember the leather stamp kits you could buy to design your own belt, wallet, etc...that's Yoakum). None of the areas have riding anything close to the quality we have out this way. Much rockier overall, heat and bugs are also things you'd deal with but worst of all, all teh BIG cities have horrendous traffic which aside from politics is the #1 reason I want out of CA.

20. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I'm only going to Texas on business travel... Starting Monday and should be back late on Thursday...

21. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Don't get pulled in by the hype of the Pecan Lodge if you go out for BBQ. Go to Lockhart Smokehouse or Mac's or even Slow Bone.

mountaingirl sara, tick, mike and 3 others like this.
  22. HBkites

Name:
    Sharone
    Current Bike:
    In general, Texas is not Vegan-friendly state.

23. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    One of it's finer attributes!! :D

24. singlespeedrider

singlespeedrider Well-Known Member

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC advanced single soee
    Left and loving it. 43 years in Orange County and I thought I would never leave and own a house haha. Here I am in Phoenix with a beautiful house and a great job. My wife was able to transfer with same pay and I found a job that hired me for the same I was making in California. With the lower taxes and cost of living it was like a raise. Yea I use a ton of electricity in the summer but actual out of pocket is not far off of Irvine. Riding is great, yea I miss the long Santa Ana climbs but I’m rewarded with miles of single track. I used to surf a few days a week and that’s out but I hear scottsdale is getting a new wave park. For this California kid I’m very happy to be here and out of California.

25. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    This song popped up in my playlist today, and it reminded me of this thread. I think the argument could me made that songs reminding me of threads on this board is a sign that I’m spending a little too much time on here.

26. da big hills

da big hills iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    cagey
    Current Bike:
    enduro 29
    Was just there, well almost 30 miles north. Last Nov. It is cold but not for a Canadian. Lots of 500 ft faces, lots of deep hardwood forests. They actually have water in the bottom of every draw. It looked like my kind of riding 5, to 600 foot climbs and big drops with roots and limestone rocks. They are sharp, I have ridden limestone before, the screed sounds like glass as you pass. My sister moved there so I even have family there.
    Happy limestone paths in the deep woods

PS two cases of Wuhan Flu in the entire county.

27. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    I think we need a new thread from @BonsaiNut... Why I Am Leaving My Bikes In California. :geek:

Cyclotourist and Faust29 like this.
  28. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    I had to choose between my two bikes and my three dogs :) My daughter was not negotiable.

Maybe I should have taken one bike, and 1.5 dogs? :)

HBkites, Cyclotourist, fos'l and 2 others like this.
  29. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Two dogs guard one bike, your dot keeps the other dog company while you ride Pisgah. See, no non-whole numbers. :cool:

BonsaiNut, Cyclotourist and fos'l like this.
  30. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Or a bigger truck!

:p

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?