I rode a new trail today

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by konakc, Jan 28, 2020.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    I rode a new trail recently.. grasshopper at Santiago oaks...all these years and never bothered... Why miss hawk? well grasshopper is worth it..bit tamer than hawk.. new trail to the repotoire...

Have new hit any new dirt lately?

2. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    From top of bumble bee or top of 2nd b.. take hawk trail but make right at fork instead of left..and enjoy hopper!

3. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

I hope you took the short cut and not the 2 switchbacks.

4. Robbie

Robbie Guest

Me too, I’ve ridden Oaks for awhile, just today went down Peralta first time, and later on the way back to car decided to go up Grasshopper, which I had never been on before. It was nice HAB in a couple sections. Nice change from my usual loop there

5. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    Haha Jason.. I took the short cut...
    Now on t n a in Laguna I always take the right and not the middle rock..they say it's a roller... No thanks!

6. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    Not sure if it's legal or not but cliffhanger in weir was a recent new trail.. breaks up weir into a figure 8 instd of loop...it's very short .. steep..goodness...

7. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    go past cliffhanger and ride the added (off menu) Lemings ST. WAY better and longer than Cliffhanger.

8. Torrent77

Torrent77 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dave
    Rode Camarillo for the first time. Totally worth the climb back on willow.

9. Bryon

Bryon Member

Name:
    Bryon Walsh
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC
    I rode Eagle Rd for the first time on Sunday. Fun trail, nothing terribly exciting. It looks like there might be a separate single track that runs alongside it that might be worth checking out. Anyways, it's good to have another option when dropping from Main Divide into Corona.

10. Fueledbyex8

Fueledbyex8 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Albert
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower
    San Juan trail for me 2 weeks ago, nothing like riding new dirt! Switchbacks to the top, flowy singletrack w/ a smile:) down to the botton, and Weins brewery for post ride refreshments:thumbsup:

11. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:

Or do both. :sneaky: :thumbsup:

12. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    That other trail starts at the water tanks before Eagle, and runs most of the way down. I've never done it, but it's on the Strava heat map and you can see it on Google Earth.

mike, mountaingirl sara and pperrelle like this.
  13. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    New dirt for me was Joplin, and I've now done it twice in the last couple weeks... The first time was damp and grippy. The second time was a near death experience. More, please.

In the local hood, it seems there are new trails every time I venture down to Ladera. o_O There is one new official trail, though. Pretty cool... Las Flores Ridge Trail. It's not technical, but it's a decent downhill, and it adds to the other trails down there. :thumbsup:

Not new for me, but I may get to show someone new dirt on Motorway tomorrow. :thumbsup:

14. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    There's more? I'll look next time...

15. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    I rode BVD (Old Emerald Falls) in El Moro (Crystal Cove State Park) for my first time two weeks ago and again last Saturday. I've only lived and ridden here for 20 years, so I didn't want to rush into it. I am told it was a rutted, jumbled mess of a trail until recently. The two times I have ridden it, I gave it the official thumbs up. Not difficult, but it's been contoured to make it flow nicely, and has some rocky bits and turns to bring interest, ending in a 2 1/2' huck. :thumbsup:

16. sir crashalot

sir crashalot iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    I love bvd now!

17. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I've been down it 3 or 4 times, and thought it was a pretty good trail...

Need to get over that way more.

18. littlewave

littlewave Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash (Alu)
    :whistling:

19. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Between the two parks (Aliso and LCWP), I count 13 "on menu" fun descents, not including fire-roads or Cholla. Plus a couple of other "level" singletracks like Coyote Run and Fenceline. And not including the Bommer "Open Access Day" only trails. Plus another who knows how many off-menu trails that I don't ride.

This place sucks. Take the advice of @Runs with Scissors and NEVER ride here!

DangerDirtyD, Faust29, mike and 7 others like this.
  20. littlewave

littlewave Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash (Alu)
    Don’t forget about the Bommer Canyon that’s always open. One fun if non-technical descent (Turtle Ridge), and you can connect from LCWP.

21. SingleTrackJB

SingleTrackJB Well-Known Member

Name:
    SingleTrackRider
    I like BVD too...that big rock drop at the end is an excellent invitation for OTB though :). The flat part through the canyon is pretty

Still the funny thing is that in the state park the trail is not on the map, and hence not even an entry sign, but in LCWP it is on the map. :facepalm:

22. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    They should retrofit that section with ramps and warning signs, or just use dynamite to eliminate the rock!

NOTE: If any trail work people are reading this "I'm JOKING!" Love that little rock drop!

23. sir crashalot

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    its an eyesore right now necause they appled some kind of herbicide in that meadow so the grass is orange and dying. no doubt for eradicating a non native species though.

24. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    Jeez, I need to find some new trails. I have ridden all of these except the off menu ones & Joplin.

I liked BVD better when it was a rutty mess because it was more of a challenge. Now it is just easy until the rocky bit. The rock drop area has actually gotten more difficult within the past few years, I assume due to rain. There used to be a line to the left, but now that line is perilous, making the rock drop to the right the much better option.

Grasshopper is fun mostly due to the shortcut in the middle. I find Grasshopper to be too short Vs. the climb back up. I would rather do Peralta as it is longer.

I do need to find some new trails though ... I am in an Oaks/Luge/Laguna rut lately.

konakc, herzalot, Faust29 and 6 others like this.
  25. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:

I get it....I have been on all these trails at least once. The trails around Waterworks and the Arroyo, not in any rush to go down there. Same goes for SC Singletracks.

Hell, we rode down Cadillac to mix it up.

26. sir crashalot

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    I like cadillac. Prefer it over luge, maybe.
    Last new dirt for me (on a bike) was Greer in Jan 19.

27. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    And its neighbor Ding Dong! But I think there's only a handful on here who have done it...

28. sir crashalot

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    Me too! I’ve done it as a double loop with Cadillac

DangerDirtyD likes this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?