MTB giveth, and MTB taketh away.

Discussion in 'Health' started by buggravy, Nov 15, 2019.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Had to think of you yesterday, Matt. :geek: And also how far a ridable trail is from this sign...

95C0A31A-5281-4DF3-BA85-39CC267562F7.jpeg

2. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    Haha, yeah that sums it up pretty perfectly .

Faust29, Mikie, DangerDirtyD and 2 others like this.
  3. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    The wording on the sign or the tagging on the sign? ;)

mtbMike, Faust29, Mikie and 4 others like this.
  4. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    Had my 1 month follow up with the surgeon today. Much to my disappointment he did not tell me that I have transcended all norms and constructs of human healing, or declare me a medical miracle that will be back to full speed in another month or two. He simply said the knee is doing exactly what he would have hoped it would be doing, and he is very pleased with my progress. He reiterated that now until month 4 is the dangerzone, and I need to protect the knee. The only small bone he threw me was that maybe I'd be closer to 6 months than 9 months in that original 6-9 recover window. We'll see how long I can hold out, but that's a ways off. So, over the initial hump, and now begins the more mundane slog towards recovery. Probably no need for me to update this much anymore, barring some event. Thanks to all for the feedback, as it did/does provide good insight and perspective.

herzalot, mike, Walleye and 11 others like this.
  5. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Lemme know when you're good to go for tame two legged treks. :cool:

I know a bear, a condor, an elephant, a jaguar, a couple of lions, several chimps, a bunch of birds, many snakes and lizards, a couple of hippos, and a group of gorillas that would like some company. :D

Mikie, DangerDirtyD, mike and 4 others like this.
  6. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    Setting up an iMtb hike or what?
    Your obviously the snake, and although I've put on winter weight I'm not yet a hippo....

Mikie, DangerDirtyD, mike and 5 others like this.
  7. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    I too am struggling to shed that darn Holiday Coat. :mad:

Mikie, Faust29, DangerDirtyD and 2 others like this.
  8. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    One for the giveth column. I almost forgot that I scored these. What a nice enhancement to a Friday night.

9AF97197-DDCE-453E-99B4-1A6C8F8E6F30.jpeg

9. mountaingirl sara

mountaingirl sara iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    Lol, whatever floats your boat!:D

Mikie and herzalot like this.
  10. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    You sexy thang...you! ;)

11. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    Right?

12. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO

13. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    Now is a good time to remind everyone of the iMTBtrails Calendar. Several of us have a few gems posted here and there worthy of consideration.

14. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Calendar?

15. DangerDirtyD

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    Everyone submit your photos!

mountaingirl sara likes this.
  16. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    Don't know that I've ever looked at the calendar....

17. DangerDirtyD

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
  18. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    Question about the whole brace thing, as I'm kind of scratching my head. PT has said I'm fine to ride my bike on fire roads, provided I'm wearing my brace, and am careful. She actually said she would cautiously encourage it. I thought I was getting fitted for my brace at my follow up next week, but the PA who called me today to reschedule my appointment said that I won't get fitted until the appointment after that, and that the whole process takes quite some time. She was emphatic that the ACL brace is for "class 1 sport", and that I am not anywhere close to being cleared for activities that require the brace (bear in mind the doc hasn't seen me for 6 weeks). Sounds like some of you had your braces early in the game. Was that the actual ACL brace? Trying to figure out how much hell I should raise to try to get the ball rolling.

19. Rumpled

Rumpled Well-Known Member

Name:
    Jim Martin
    Current Bike:
    2018 Specialized Epic Carbon C
    I had my ACL brace within a couple of weeks post-op. Donjoy Dominator, methinks. First carbon fiber I ever owned. (And the titanium screws in my knee were the first Ti I ever owned)
    Basically, I had it once I was off crutches.
    Dr instructed me to wear it for everything but sleeping, showering and PT.
    And, he said to watch my ass in the shower.
    Had to wear it for 7 months. His concern was even a simple trip and fall walking could tear the weakened graft.
    That was many years ago and different Drs habe different thoughts.
    YMMV

20. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    FWIW, Matt: My custom brace was for surgery substitiute. It failed in that and caused more damage. I'm sure braces are more advanced now and your situation is a little different, but two things: I am skeptical of what any brace can really do to prevent injury, and I did/do lots of interpreting of what healthcare professionals tell me about my athletic pursuits. Mostly, I would try to not be impatient about getting back in action and just think of extended rest as an investment in a strong return. Yep, easier said than done. If it makes ya feel better, I haven't ridden in weeks and won't be doing much or any for longer. It can be done! :)

21. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    Thanks, Mike. As always, I appreciate the insight and encouragement. FWIW, I have it in my head that I won't be back to really riding my bike until June(ish). Just feel like I'm slowly losing my mind not being able to engage in much of anything outdoors, and in nature. Got some intel on a local creek that's actually fishing well right now, and only requires a mellow hike in, and is easy to fish without having to rock hop through the creek, but I don't dare negotiate anything where I could slip without a brace at this point. Wife wanted me to hike with her behind our house last weekend, and I had to pass. I figure the brace would at least get me outside and dipping my toe into some things I love, and cruising some mellow fire roads seemed to meet the risk vs. reward equation, or at least would in a few weeks when I assumed I'd be all tooled up. PT said the current braces being used really provide a great deal of protection, provided the wearer isn't being stupid. I guess more shall be revealed after I see the doc next week.

22. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    If walking on the beach is safe, follow the fish activity charts and get out there on a weekday when the crowds aren't around with your fly rod. Something that sinks could get some perch action.

23. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    The brace is designed to prevent you from hyper extending the knee or other movement that would cause the healing graft to tear. The advice that you should be fine to ride fire roads wearing the brace and are careful is pretty much what I was told around the 8 week mark. Which means I'd already been doing it (carefully) for a couple weeks. You're not expecting to crash or have to put a foot down awkwardly when riding easy fire roads, but if you do the brace should prevent any further injury. That said I was also told to wear the brace pretty much any time I left the house since you could trip/slip/fall while walking too. I would be more concerned about not having a brace if I went to the beach or did any hiking. You should be able to do those things by now so I understand your frustration. It does seem puzzling why you wouldn't have a brace already. But there seems to be a lot of variation in how conservative some doctors are, and whether they understand the activities we do also comes into play. I'd follow Mike's suggestion and not get impatient. You still have exercises to do so focus on those. I was cleared to ride singletrack after 4 months (with brace on) and without brace another 3-4 months later.

24. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    I agree with Evan, it’s odd that you’re not required to wear a brace all the time. I actually liked my big brace for the feeling of stability. In fact I still sometimes wear my minimalist brace on certain sketchy hikes up here, better safe than sorry.
    Geesh, I hope you get this straightened out soon so you can get out there and feel the awesomeness of nature again!

25. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    Ironically, I sold my surf fishing gear right after I bought my Trance, as a peace offering to the Mrs. For whatever reason I just never fell in love with fishing the surf.

26. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Use your fly rod. Cast sinking flies into the undertoe pockets.

27. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    It's a bit more of a production. 6-7 weight rods, sinking line with integrated shooting head, stripping basket. I'm down to only trout size rods (5wt and under) and floating lines. Some of the corbina purists fish floating lines in the skinny water, sight casting to cruisers, but that's a low percentage game.

28. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    Thanks, guys. Yeah, it's pretty frustrating, but I guess there are different schools of thought on bracing. Never thought to have a conversation with my surgeon on his M.O. My PT actually says she doesn't like braces at all, at any stage other than the first week or two. Whatever, I may actually see about just getting fitted and kitted on my own. With the big imobilizer type brace I got sent home in, they charged what amounted to <2,000% mark up over retail, and my copay was over 3X the retail cost. So I might be better off just getting it myself providing I can get it properly fitted. I'm going to ask them at the appointment what model brace they use, and see what I can do on my own.

29. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Then, a nice medium light action 8' spinning rod set up with 10 lb test or less would be fun.

mike, buggravy and mountaingirl sara like this.
  30. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    Your PT is bold with her no brace idea. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve turned or stepped wrong and was glad to have that brace on! Also, her thinking may be to strengthen the knee and surrounding muscles instead of relying on the brace..that’s good, but things happen.
    I’m sure you’re doing lots of strengthening and balancing exercises on you own, not just at PT, to get the stability back. I still do them and I’m almost a year post op!

mtnbikej, mike, DangerDirtyD and 2 others like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?