About to Start - Marlin 6

Discussion in 'Say Hello!' started by deesalsa25, Jun 8, 2018.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Pour one out for the lil' homies that never made it back...

tumblr_n87ckuxJDE1taao3wo1_500.jpg

2. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    I used to ride with these things called...wait, I can't remember...maps I think! Spam spelled backward. Coincidence? I think SO!

Also guide books with detachable pages. Of course every ride back then was uphill both ways, and in the snow.

3. deesalsa25

deesalsa25 Member

Name:
    Dee
    Another rookie question: While I wait for my bike to arrive and be set up, here is what I have on my to-buy list:

Helmet
    Gloves
    Water bottle/s
    Lights
    Fix kit
    Bike pack
    Phone mount

Air pump still needed if going tubeless? (if yes, then yes, I am stupid lol)
    MTB clear glasses needed?

I see clear glasses being mentioned on many beginner lists but not sure if it's something SOME people like. Any product links would be appreciated!

Mikie and Faust29 like this.
  4. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

Mikie, Faust29, DangerDirtyD and 3 others like this.
  5. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    @mtnbikej pretty much covered it all. Only thing I'd add is definitely get a good flashing taillight because at some point you'll be sharing space with cars to get where you're going. In worst case situation you can use it as a distress signal. :thumbsup:

I use the NiteRider Saber. Only $30 and is USB rechargeable. They can still run me over but they can't say they didn't see me.

Mikie, Faust29, DangerDirtyD and 2 others like this.
  6. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    To add to @mtnbikej ’s list: A spare tube (29” x 2.1-2.6”) and tire patch kit (different from a tube patch kit) are still required even when riding tubeless because you could still get a flat via a large puncture (https://www.jensonusa.com/Lezyne-Tubeless-Plug-Kit) or sidewall tear (https://www.jensonusa.com/Park-Tool-TB-2-Emergency-Tire-Boot) that will require a tube and tire plug or patch to repair the tire.

Also get a multi-tool with a good chain breaker (https://www.jensonusa.com/Topeak-Mini-18-Folding-Tool) or buy them separately if you choose.

7. deesalsa25

deesalsa25 Member

Name:
    Dee
    Mikie, Faust29 and DangerDirtyD like this.
  8. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    It's a matter of taste. I personally can't stand anything strapped to my bike. I used to ride with a seatbag, but that was before I had a full suspension bike.

Others would much prefer to put their stuff on the bike and not on their back. The latest "Enduro" trend is to wear an (ahem) waist pack and carry a water bottle on the bike (and if you're super cool, to strap a spare tube onto your frame).

For most of the 2000s until about two years ago, hydration packs were de rigeur. Easy and clean access to water, a place for your stuff, and no extra crap on your bike. Hydration packs are now passe, apparently.

XC racer dudes (and dudesses) have NEVER worn hydration packs. They wear lycra shorts, tight jerseys with team logos and put their spare stuff in their rear jersey pockets like roadies. They are typically ill-equipped for problems, but hey, they nail their STRAVA times! Go KOM!!!

I usually use a Camelback or Osprey hydration pack with tools and, if necessary, a spare bit of clothing or pads. I do enjoy riding without a backpack when I can, and carrying some stuff in a stealth waist pack (hidden under my jersey) and a water bottle. Problem is, I can't carry a shock pump or put a jacket or pads in it. My little belt pack does carry my phone, a multi-tool, spare chain links, derailleur cable, some bandages, a clif bar, tire levers, tire bacon and a small tire pump. No tube.

Bottom line, do whatever you like. :thumbsup:

(But the bag you are referencing seems like it would be highly annoying - noisy, unstable and in your way when you need to dismount on a steep uphill.)

9. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Honestly, you really need to view this. It's a little outdated, but we want you to fit in as soon as possible.

10. deesalsa25

deesalsa25 Member

Name:
    Dee
    Mikie, DangerDirtyD and herzalot like this.
  11. deesalsa25

deesalsa25 Member

Name:
    Dee
    And I appreciate the honest responses up there ^^^ basically, chose however you want to ride and buy whatever you want, BUT safety first!

12. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Safety may not mean what you think it does around here... :whistling:

13. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    Mastoooooooooora!

Mikie, Faust29 and mike like this.
  14. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Not exactly. There are some products or approaches that are favored because they just work better. Keep asking questions, and perhaps you can avoid costly or inconvenient mistakes. Like purchasing the bag you were looking at. Great for bike path riding probably, but not appropriate for actual mt. biking, IMO. My recommendation is to get a decent hydration pack first, and not worry about where you put your stuff on your bike.

Mikie, UPSed, DangerDirtyD and 2 others like this.
  15. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    IMG_2872.jpeg

FWIW... I'm happy these days with the mandatory stuff on my bike: Tools/parts, first aid/beacon, tube, CO2, pump and water bottle. That allows me to go pack free, tiny hip pack, or something larger based on the outing/need for liquid, food, clothes, pads. I don't really notice the stuff on my bike. I don't hot dog around too much; it doesn't make a difference as far as making it up and down the stuff I ride. YMMV...

Cyclotourist, Mikie, UPSed and 4 others like this.
  16. deesalsa25

deesalsa25 Member

Name:
    Dee
    @herzalot

I like that idea. A solid hydration pack to carry your gear and nothing intrusive on the bike itself. Gotcha!

Mikie, UPSed, herzalot and 2 others like this.
  17. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Yep... That is personal preference, or determined by the ride you plan. I have an assortment of small bags for the bike, as well as different sized packs. The ride length, remoteness, weather, and distance from water determine which setup I go with. Local spin? A bottle and tools on the bike... 8 hours in the mountains? Big pack with lots of extras... Night ride in the mountains in winter? Lots of extra clothes in a big pack...

As you ride more, you may find you need less and less to carry- as the fitness ramps up... I started carrying 100 ounces and 3 days worth of food to go 5 miles... :oops:

18. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Nailed it, Steve. :thumbsup:

Mikie, Faust29 and herzalot like this.
  19. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    One 24 oz. bottle with Tailwindz. All you need. :thumbsup:

Cyclotourist, Mikie, mike and 4 others like this.
  20. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    I hear Tailwindzs can repair flats, fix a chain, and sew up a wound too! In addition, it serves as an emergency locator beacon!

21. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    I use a 28oz bottle for my bigger rides.

DangerDirtyD, Mikie, Faust29 and 2 others like this.
  22. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Don't tell @Mikie ... I've been riding without it for anything but the longest rides. Is this going to put my IMTB membership in jeopardy?

I did the out and back to the peak yesterday with only a small bottles of electrolytes. :eek: I feel like I just confessed to an affair.

23. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    @Demetrio GQ, I believe this was intended as a joke. Not sure about @UPSed...

Stay on the path and maybe put more stock in the expert advice here than the unverified keyboard warriors on MTBR. :geek:

DangerDirtyD, Mikie, herzalot and 3 others like this.
  24. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    I hear ya!! My last trip out to Sierra Peak I didn't hit the (plain) water until I got back to Beeks. :laugh:

25. Derkderkall

Derkderkall iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2020 Specialized Fuse 29
    Shhhhj

I still don't know what tailwind really is...

Soylent green or something right....?

DangerDirtyD, mike, Mikie and 3 others like this.
  26. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Soylent red. Soylent Green is people!!!

DangerDirtyD, mike, Mikie and 2 others like this.
  27. deesalsa25

deesalsa25 Member

Name:
    Dee
    LOL at all the above. So far I am here.

Helmet Giro fixture matte black
    Gloves Dakine covert gloves
    2 water bottles @ store I guess
    Rear light Nightrider as recommended above
    multi-tool crank brothers 19
    Phone mount Quad lock bike mount

**Bag pending
    **fix kit (tube/patch/pump) pending

Judge away or recommend lol. Bike just arrives at the shop in three days. Can't wait lol.

DangerDirtyD, mike, Mikie and 2 others like this.
  28. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    I don't see the de rigeur carbon water bottle cage...

Mikie and Faust29 like this.
  29. deesalsa25

deesalsa25 Member

Name:
    Dee
    @Runs with Scissors Not sure if that is a joke or not based on previous posts lol - if not, link to product that fits my Timberjack?

DangerDirtyD, mike and Faust29 like this.
  30. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Water bottle cages are pretty standard... I have a carbon one on the Hightower, but I have two $7 metal cages from Jensons on the single speed. They all work the same.

When I first started, I only carried water and food. I walked home a lot when I broke things, but I learned eventually... :D :oops: