Best Bands you’ve seen Live

Discussion in 'Free Zone' started by trmn8er, Jan 9, 2020.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. trmn8er

trmn8er Member

Name:
    Ken
    Current Bike:
    Intense Primer
    So I thought I’d post up the question. Being in my 50s I grew up on a steady diet of great music. Let’s take a tour into the way back machine and tell us about who you have seen live and what made it special. I’ll start with one but I have many more.

I think it was around 1977. My older brother and his friend Scott asked me if I wanted to join them to see the Almighty Led Zeppelin at the forum. I was like 15 or 16. I was like hmm let me see. Hell Yes!

We piled into Scott’s Econoline Van and headed out doing the mandatory bong rips and arrived fairly well baked. Being a drummer myself, I was and am a huge John Henry Bonham fan. The band was still reeling from the still fresh and tragic loss of Robert Plants Son. They were back!

To see and hear Zepplin live was an emotional experience I’ll never forget. The sheer power of Bonzo, the magic of Jimmy Page, Plants unparalleled range of vocals and John Paul Jones ability to tie it all together is surreal. Page on Guitar plays with so much emotion and Bonzo playfully following. His footwork on the bass drum doing triplets was mesmerizing.

Mikie, Luis, Sassyquatch and 14 others like this.
  2. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    Rush is excellent... even today. Saw them first in a July 4th concert in Alpine Valley, Wisconsin. 1981 :) Moving Pictures was just out and they rocked the stadium :)

But what blows me away is ELO. 15 musicians on the stage, and Jeff Lynn sounds as good today as he did 30 years ago. Saw them in 2018 and 2019...

Mikie, Sassyquatch, Grego and 9 others like this.
  3. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Elton John in 2019.

Travis Tritt twice, 20 years apart.

Rod Stewart at the Hollywood Bowl. Rod was worth seeing, the Bowl was a never-again.

Glenn Campbell - I wasn't that old.

Garth Brooks & Trisha Yearwood. Quite the show.

That's about it - I'm not much of a concert-goer.

Mikie, Sassyquatch, Grego and 8 others like this.
  4. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    1. tie) U2 - St. Patrick's Day, McNichols Arena Denver. 1985 ish - right after Unforgettable Fire.

1. tie) Big Country in a bar in Golden, CO 1994.

3.) Collective Soul and Big Head Todd together at The Grove in Anaheim. 2007 ish

xhuskr, Mikie, Sassyquatch and 11 others like this.
  5. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    In no particular order:

Black Sabbath (Ozzy)
    Black Sabbath (Dio)
    Scorpions
    Iron Maiden
    Judas Priest
    Ozzy Ozbourne
    Motorhead
    Black Label Society
    Motley Crue
    Triumph
    Slayer
    Pantera
    Megadeth
    System of a down
    Rob Zombie
    Marilyn Manson
    Alice Cooper
    Slipknot
    Godsmack
    Primus

...all of those were EXCELLENT live.

I've seen many more that were fair to good.

There is only one band that was horrible live:

Van Halen (DLR)

6. trmn8er

trmn8er Member

Name:
    Ken
    Current Bike:
    Intense Primer

Mikie, hill^billy, buggravy and 2 others like this.
  7. trmn8er

trmn8er Member

Name:
    Ken
    Current Bike:
    Intense Primer
    Yeah ELO wow wish I saw that one

8. trmn8er

trmn8er Member

Name:
    Ken
    Current Bike:
    Intense Primer
    So here are some I’ve seen in no particular order

The Outlaws at the Geeek
    Santana
    Fog hat LongBeach Arena
    Queen twice. Unreal
    Eagles at least twice
    Yes was amazing
    Emerson Lake and Palmer
    Johnny Winters killed it
    Elton John
    Tesla
    Black Sabbath
    Aerosmith twice once private concert
    Heart
    Ted Nugent
    Rick Deringer
    Foreigner

9. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    I've never been a fan of the sugary sweet sound of ELO, but I have always appreciated their use of strings, brass and innovative sound. Jeff Lynn is a musical genius who influenced way more music than one might think. And I agree, that 2017 concert footage sounds and looks great - but damn, the audience was filled with geezers!

Mikie, Sassyquatch, trmn8er and 8 others like this.
  10. jdubb

jdubb Member

Name:
    John Williams
    Current Bike:
    2018 Santa Cruz Tallboy cc
    So many live shows in my lifetime it’s hard to narrow down!
    Rush, U2, Coldplay many times with predictably good shows.
    If I had to list some of my most memorable or favorite shows:
    David Bowie 1983 Serious moonlight tour
    Early REM 84, 85, 86 shows were good
    Early Smiths shows were always full of unexpected energy
    I saw the Call at the coach house a long time ago and everyone was dancing on the tables!
    I’ve always enjoyed David Byrne live, front row at the Shrine last year and he’s still good
    Many Smashing Pumpkins shows that rocked
    Countless punk rock gigs that weren’t necessarily all time shows but always fun nonetheless
    Rock on

xhuskr, Mikie, Sassyquatch and 10 others like this.
  11. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Hey.... Geezerdom is a state of mind. If you're still going out to rock concerts at 60 you don't fit into my description of a geezer :)

Wow Big Country. I played their music so loud in my college dorm, I actually had a professor come over from an academic building next door and yell at me to turn my damn music down :)

Mikie, Sassyquatch, trmn8er and 8 others like this.
  12. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    Like others there is too many shows to pinpoint one show. As a matter of fact I saw Black Flag last night!! But here is a short list of whom I seen:

TSOL
    Youth Brigade (3x)
    NOFX
    Descendants
    Mike Watt
    Flipper
    Motley Crue
    Kiss
    Def Leopard
    Poison
    Korn( saw them before they were big also, they are a Bakersfield band)
    Rob Zombie
    Red Hots
    Social D
    The Cramps
    Oingio Boingo (My first concert)
    The Cure
    The Cult
    Pennywise
    Rancid

That's what I can think of off the top of my head. Will add to the list when my brain kicks in.

Mikie, Sassyquatch, Redman and 13 others like this.
  13. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    I posted this elsewhere, but one of my most surreal moments in life was my buddy and me sitting on the edge of the stage after the show with Stuart Adamson chatting about life and things for about 20 minutes - with a pint of Coors Winterfest, of course.

xhuskr, Mikie, Sassyquatch and 9 others like this.
  14. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

I was there also, my friend Rick Stone, I know, ironic, rolled 32 perfect joints packed in metal cigarette cases, and we smoked em all! Would pass it down the row, and believe it or not it would come back a couple of times before he would spark up another, and pass it down. At least I think we smoked em all? BTW I saw the mighty ZEP TWICE! That’s how many times they played here. Only problem was we had to yell at each other on the way home cause we were half def!
    So many concerts! Genesis comes to mind with Phil Collins and Peter Gabrial was incredible! But the Eagles were the best technical perfection I have had the pleasure to see!

Mikie, Sassyquatch, Redman and 11 others like this.
  15. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    Oooo, good topic.

Metallica w/The Cult: 1989, Greenville coliseum. And Justice For All tour. It was my first concert ever (age 15) and Metallica were my heroes. I couldn't believe I was there, and it transformed me. The Cult killed it as well.

Van Halen with unlikely opener Alice In Chains: 1991 I think. Special to see AIC touring for that first record, and they were amazing even playing in the daylight to a crowd that didn't really care about them. Van Halen were pros. A clinic of a rock show.

Pantera: Favorite band of all time, and I've seen them a bunch, but opening show of their 1994 Far Beyond Driven tour in Winston Salem, NC (Lawrence Joel Memorial Auditorium I think) going on after Type O Negative who the audience absolutely hated. Crazy energy, and it was so invigorating to see that kind of power from a metal show at a time when metal was struggling

Slipknot: Again, saw them many times, but the first absolutely blew my mind. They were opening for Coal Chamber at The Palace in Hollywood, right as their first record was starting to take off. Though they were the opener, everyone was obviously there to see them. I was aware of them, but somehow not familiar. They came out with the craziest energy I've ever seen in a band, and 9 members, all wearing prison jumpers and masks and going nuts - it just looked intimidating as hell. During the first song the keyboardist climbed up to the top of the PA, probably 30 feet above the crowd, and jumped, arms and legs flailing like he was swimming, into the pit. The place erupted, and the pit went from the stage all the way back to the bar, to the point that anyone that didn't want to be in the pit had to retreat out the doors, or upstairs. As someone who had experienced many pits before, it took a minute for my brain to register the chaos that was happening both onstage and on the floor. I've never seen a band command an audience like that.

Hootie & The Blowfish: Legends, Boone, NC. Hootie was a regional band my freshman year in college. First saw them at Los Arcos, which was a mexican restaurant by day, and music venue by night. By sophomore year they'd blown up, and Legends was a 1000ish person venue that was too small for their stature, but had been booked in advance, and it just felt cool to be there. More of a slice of life thing than a groundbreaking musical experience, but those guys could write a song.

Steve Earle: He did a semi secret show at a coffee shop in Nashville when I live there circa 1997. 1 night, 2 sets, just him playing acoustically solo. No more than 50 people in the audience. It was kind of a VH1 Storytellers type format, around or shortly after coming out of his dark period. Again, one of those I really felt lucky to be there.

Honorable mention to Rob Zombie at Universal Amphitheater. His band were monsters and the theatrics were crazy. Just next level execution of a rock show.

Mikie, Sassyquatch, Grego and 8 others like this.
  16. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    Probably the most famous / amazing live show I ever saw was:

The Wall performed live by Pink Floyd 1980 Los Angeles Sports Arena. 1 of only 12 shows in North America. It was one of those sleep on the sidewalk things back then to get tickets.

On the other end of the spectrum I saw the living legend Johnny Lee Hooker at the Golden Bear in HB

I also saw Queen live in late 77 I think with Freddy Mercury coming out in Darth Vader's shoulders to sing We Are The Champions at the end.

And I saw X for free on the lawn in CSULB during one of those old Coors light tours....Damn that was fun.

I have also seen BB King, Muddy Waters etc

I also saw the the Actual Blues Brothers live at Universal Amphitheatre.

Sergio Mendes and Brasil 66 and a the Hollywood bowl

Crystal Method live Hollywood bowl...Dang!

Saw lots of other bands too...

Missed Led Zepplin...Bonham off'd himself.

Missed Daft Punk

Wish I saw more...wish I remembered some of them better...hehe... Saw Styx twice apparently not sure I remember either.

17. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    Foghat and Foreinger Sightings 2 points extra!

Slow Ride

JukeBox Hero

Free Bird (Lynard Skynard) had to add it....

Something about those 3 songs...

18. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    OMG, this is great, I LOVE reading all the above. Wow @trmn8er , Zeppelin would be amazing to see, and @herzalot Fire-era U2 is my coming of age moment... that would have been magical.

Anyway, have seen lots of shows, but two stand out The first being Willie Nelson. Around '98 a show at the Orange Show in 'Berdoo. Wow. That man can play and entertain, and what a song book. Absolutely fantastic! He played for several hours, and in the end, it was basically the band playing out the audience. It just sort of kept going as we were leaving. Nothing else like that! I've seen him again elsewhere, and it was good, but not as good as that show.

The second isn't so much a show, as a series of shows by No Doubt. I went to CSUF with Tony their base player, and we were on sorta' friendly terms (my claim to fame). He invited me to some shows at Spanky's in Riverside. Dinky little club, but it was alive with the early 90's Ska kids! So several shows there, a couple at CSUF, a few here and there. And then they became the No Doubt that everyone knows, not that funky little Ska band with a bunch of goofy kids. Those early shows were loud, sweaty, awesome fun that I really miss.

Mikie, Sassyquatch, trmn8er and 7 others like this.
  19. da big hills

da big hills iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    cagey
    Current Bike:
    enduro 29
    By far it was the Doobies with Michael McDoneld on lead. The depth of sound was un-paralleled in any event I have been to.
    I was once associated with "the industry" and have been to too many events.
    While I was not expecting this of the Doobies, nobody has matched the magic.

Happy street rides with "On a Steel Horse I ride..." playing in my brain and trail rides with nothing in my brain at all.
    Starship is at the Canyon 1 Feb for you former rockers. Foghat too

Mikie, Sassyquatch, trmn8er and 5 others like this.
  20. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    • Bob Dylan @The Sun Theatre in Anaheim in 2000, first show since his mom died, and he played Tomorrow is a Long Time for first time in a long time.
    • CSNY from 4th row @ Staples Center 2001. I could read “Levi’s” on the red tag on Neil’s ass.
    • Tenacious D @ Neil Young’s Bridge School Benefit.
    • The Who @HollyWooD Bowl 2002, a few days after John Entwistle died.
    • Robert Plant @ the Greek Theatre
    • The Doors (vocals by Ian Astbury) at California Speedway
    • Flogging Molly on St. Patty’s day 2007. General admission mosh-pitting FTW!

21. Rumpled

Rumpled Well-Known Member

Name:
    Jim Martin
    Current Bike:
    2018 Specialized Epic Carbon C
    I haven't gone to all that many shows, but some memorable ones

Jefferson Starship in a small arena from the fourth row in High School. Grace Slick mesmorized me.

Ozzy's first solo tour. Again in High School. Left school Friday afternoon and drove up to Oakland. Slept on the concrete and partied all night to wait for general admission entrance on Saturday night.

STP just before they became STP in my living room. Roommates brother was keyboard player in the band (notice they didn't have keyboards?)

Worst ever - Van Halen in San Diego ~1984. David Lee Roth was obviously very drunk on stage. Missing words, falling down. They pulled him off and gave us a 20 minute drum solo and then 20 minute Eddie solo. Solos were very good, but oddly placed. DLR then came back, but still sucked.

22. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    So many great ones, as you all cite.

Some memorables:
    Thin Lizzy 77
    Dickey Betts 77
    Blue Oyster Cult 77
    Kansas 78
    VH 78
    Outlaws 78
    Molly Hatchet 78
    Henry Paul Band 80
    Mahogany Rush
    Rush
    ACDC
    ZZ Top
    Beat Farmers
    Sonia Dada
    Ramones
    Lemonheads
    Zappa

If I had to single out one show for pure energy, it would be Ramones on Landsdowne Street in Boston.

Biggest busts:
    VH with DLR drunk
    UFO with Michael Schenker; underage ticketholder got carded and denied club entry
    Led Zep, terrible sound, late, lukewarm performance

Weirdest billing:
    Ramones opening for Sabbath – they made it through 1.5 songs

Regrets:
    Passed on Pink Floyd Animals and The Wall tours
    Missed Nirvana with Smashing Pumpkins at a club

23. blixet

blixet Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tom
    Current Bike:
    Transition Scout, TJ Ti
    I too saw Zep at the Forum in the '70s. Grateful Dead a lot. Some of the best and one of the worst concerts were seeing them. Saw them at the Oakland Coliseum opened by The Who (who were booed mercilessly by the Deadheads). Humble Pie back in the day. The Mavericks recently were great. Going to see them again in El Cajon, front row center for a sort of birthday splurge. Pinnacle concert though may have been seeing BB King open for Stevie Ray Vaughan at the Bowl. Wow! Freaking mind blowing pairing. I also played the Hollywood Bowl in both '68 and '69 in a big band called The Esquires. That's a whole 'nother ball of wax.

24. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Balls of wax are interesting! What do you play? Let's hear it, it's on topic. :)

Mikie, Old&InTheWay, buggravy and 2 others like this.
  25. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    My biggest bust was Foreigner. I just wasn't impressed with their stage presence or their live sound.

Though I still think ELO puts on the best live show (of all the concerts I have seen), another great show that sticks in my mind was the Monsters of Rock Concert in Germany in 1984:

AC/DC
    Van Halen
    Ozzy Osbourne
    Gary Moore
    Y&T
    Accept
    Mötley Crüe

All in a single day-long show. I lost some of my clothing during this concert, but that's a whole 'nother ball of wax :)

26. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Biggest bust(s): Hate to say it, but Rush Power Windows era at the Pacific and Phish sometime in the 90's in Irvine Meadows. Man, Rush was just wasn't all that great and Phish was sooooo boring. And I love both bands!

Missed opportunities: Us Festival '83 and U2 Fire Tour Long Beach '84 (I'm the anti-@herz). Parents wouldn't let 13/14 year old me to go either. In hindsight I get the Us Festival denial, but they should have let me see U2!!!

xhuskr, Mikie, Danmtchl and 2 others like this.
  27. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    Can't help but note the prevalence of bad Van Halen/Roth experiences. I've seen Van Hagar, and DLR solo. Both excellent shows, but DLR was obviously in a different place by that point. As an aside, if you have about 3 hours to dedicate some background attention to, DLR on the Joe Rogan podcast is super interesting. I mean, he's kind of annoying with his odd delivery and constantly laughing at his own quips, but he's also a hell of a story teller with a lot of stories to tell. He has lead a very interesting (and unexpected to me) life outside of music.

Mikie, Old&InTheWay, Danmtchl and 3 others like this.
  28. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    I actually don't like live shows, I know, it's weird. Seen a few good ones. But I prefer listening to the recordings.

Weird Al though, that was fun.

Fun fact: My last roommate grew up friends with Van Halen. She went to Six Flags with them as a young teenager and they were like big brothers for her. This was in the 70's, when they were still pretty fresh.

Mikie, UPSed, Sassyquatch and 4 others like this.
  29. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    And...

Neil Peart is dead. Saw Rush in '97 for the first time. Been a big fan since I was a kid. One of my tats, that is connected to my ex wife, is part of the Counterparts album cover.

Mikie, herzalot, Danmtchl and 2 others like this.
  30. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Cough em up, pal. Besides Rush. :)

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?