Hullo fellow bikers!

Discussion in 'Say Hello!' started by Ocpop, Dec 10, 2019.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Ocpop

Ocpop Well-Known Member

Name:
    Paul K
    Current Bike:
    Pivot trail
    I’ll see out there! No accent but I’m definitely funny looking according to my closest friends and family.

2. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    N+1. It is a Rule. :)

Oaken, Mikie, Old&InTheWay and 4 others like this.
  3. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    Nice avatar! I had that same schwinn orange crate , received it for Christmas when I was 12. Man was it heavy, but cool!

Mikie, Dismay, Old&InTheWay and 4 others like this.
  4. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    See, you figured that out pretty fast!

5. Ocpop

Ocpop Well-Known Member

Name:
    Paul K
    Current Bike:
    Pivot trail
    I’m down with this rule. At the peak of my surf obsession, I had over 20 boards stacked in my garage. Hmmm, I wonder if I can pack 20 bikes in the garage...:rolleyes:

Mikie, DangerDirtyD, herzalot and 7 others like this.
  6. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    Oh, and you might want to put in an avatar before @Mikie picks one for you.....just a thought... :sneaky:.....

We can do Whiting luge over the Christmas week if you're game. maybe get @Lost Kiwi to join in with one of his unusual bikes.

7. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    Welcome!

Guess I'll toss a couple of items in the bin regarding your planned climb to Santiago Peak:
    (1) As several have pointed out, the easiest path to the peak is if you park at the Maple Springs trailhead (in upper Silverago Canyon) and head up Maple Springs. It is both shorter and less steep than Harding Truck Trail (because you gain 800 feet in elevation driving up the canyon :)). The other advantage is that the first 40% of the Maple Springs climb (about 3 miles) will be on pavement. An important thing to note is that Maple Springs is usually open to 4WD and motocross traffic - with the exception of periods when the trail is wet due to rain (when it is closed to motorized vehicles but still open to pedestrians and non-motorized bicycles). It is often more enjoyable to wait until after a good rain to ride Maple Springs - the trail is in better condition and you don't have to duel with vehicle traffic.
    (2) If you park at the tree farm (at the base of Silverado Canyon) you can add some easy pavement miles and a little more elevation to your ride. This also gives you the option (if you desire) to ride up Maple Springs, and ride DOWN Harding, which is (in my opinion) a more enjoyable downhill, being steeper as well as not having motorized traffic so it maintains a bit of a singletrack feel with (in most cases) a single travel line. Maple Springs and Harding have very different personalities, so it is fun to mix them together in one ride.
    (3) I would not recommend Joplin on your first ride to the peak unless you are really confident with your biking skills. Joplin is like the Luge x10 with no trail maintenance. Many consider it a downhill HAB. In fact, some of our best bikers consider it a major accomplishment if they can clean the trail from top to bottom - regardless of speed. I have been unable to do so :) It is the only trail in SoCal I pack pads for. You have been warned :) Additionally, if you descend Joplin, you will come out on Santiago Truck Trail and be miles away from wherever you parked your car. If you are committed to this course, I would recommend parking at Cook's Corner at the beginning of your ride, riding up and over Modjeska Grade to the Harding trailhead, and climbing Harding. This way you will descend Joplin, Santiago Truck Trail, and the Luge, and be at your car when you pop out at the bottom of the Luge (with no major climbs at the back half of your ride). You will not want to climb ANYTHING at the end of this ride :)

All of these rides are big climbs:
    Maple Springs (upper lot)> Peak is about 3950
    Harding > Peak is about 4750
    Cook's Corner / Harding / Peak / Joplin is about 5700

8. Ocpop

Ocpop Well-Known Member

Name:
    Paul K
    Current Bike:
    Pivot trail
    I’m definitely down for that. I have family visiting but I’m going to squeeze in as much riding as possible, so let’s try and do that ride together.

9. Ocpop

Ocpop Well-Known Member

Name:
    Paul K
    Current Bike:
    Pivot trail
    Thanks for the good info. Not sure I’m in good enough shape at this point. But I might give it a shot over Christmas break.

10. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Loads of good info and opportunity here, good job, guys.

OCP, Santiago Peak is a no-lose outing. You can turn around any time you feel like it and still have fun getting to the car.

11. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    @Ocpop everyone else has pointed out all the important stuff. So, all I got is WELCOME NOOB!

Danmtchl, herzalot, tick and 9 others like this.
  12. Oaken

Oaken Well-Known Member

Name:
    CeeJay
    Wilkommen!
    IMO you are ready for Maple Springs - just plan for a day in the mountains and have food & layers. At worst, you just turn around. If you can get to just a couple of 100’ past the end of the asphalt, you’ll get rewarded with a nice view.

13. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    @Ocpop i dare you to take on the Harding to Joplin loop from Cook’s Corner to demonstrate what’s up! Joplin isn’t crazy. It’s no more than a single black diamond. It’s just isolated so if you fall unconscious, you might freeze or get eaten...that’s all. I hope there is at least one of the 3x-per-week riders here who would accompany you for navigational purposes. It would be a shame if no one is available, in which case, I’ll start petitioning Mamas for a day to take you and lose a little bit of respect for the keyboard warrior XC mild mannered OC contingent.

14. DangerDirtyD

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    Crap! I hit send! I meant that draft as personal therapy and didn’t mean to bag people in public (just in my head is all). After all, many many many of my rides are mild sauce. Mmmm! Tacos!

15. DangerDirtyD

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    Ok I’ll ask Mamas. Standby.

16. Ocpop

Ocpop Well-Known Member

Name:
    Paul K
    Current Bike:
    Pivot trail
    Not sure I understand what’s going on here, but I like it!

Danmtchl, Fueledbyex8, CBone and 4 others like this.
  17. Ocpop

Ocpop Well-Known Member

Name:
    Paul K
    Current Bike:
    Pivot trail
    Thanks!

18. DangerDirtyD

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    Sweeeeet! Mamas said “after Christmas” I can take the kids to Grandma’s house and ride Joplin! I’m a slow climber, and we’d stay more or less together on Joplin. I’ll be in touch if you’re interested in blowing past any limitations we might have.

19. Ocpop

Ocpop Well-Known Member

Name:
    Paul K
    Current Bike:
    Pivot trail
    Awesome, you’re on! Slow climber is my middle name.

20. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Hah, my MTB-noob surfer buddy attacked Joplin on a Hoo-Kooee-Koo (an ancient hardtail) and survived with a huge smile and no injuries. I think it had 2.0” tires. A proud run it was; harder back then than current conditions.

21. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    First time I rode to the peak I parked at the bottom of Cadillac, climbed Holy Jim, got to the summit via the back, and then descended via Joplin/Cadillac. Probably the scariest section was the last mile down Cadillac. This was right after the 2010 floods and the trail was washed out in many places with some ravine-like sections that would swallow you whole! Fun riding on Holy Jim when Trabuco Canyon Road was washed out... nobody but me and the trail.

(an empty HJ parking lot)

empty-hj.jpg

Joplin lady bugs. They feast on the corpses of bikers who take a header while biking Joplin solo...

joplb.jpg

Luis, Danmtchl, Fueledbyex8 and 8 others like this.
  22. Lost Kiwi

Lost Kiwi Well-Known Member

Name:
    Simon
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    I'm definitely down for that!

23. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Make sure to post your ride time! I'm busy atm redoing our master bathroom... but I might be able to swing a Joplin ride. Plus if you need a guide to Harding... I'm your man :)

24. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    Cool! 29, 30 or 31st I'm good to ride.
    24th is a maybe have to check the work schedule.

25. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

Feel free to read about my last Joplin ride:

https://www.imtbtrails.com/forum/threads/drop-the-jop.5514/page-3

26. Ocpop

Ocpop Well-Known Member

Name:
    Paul K
    Current Bike:
    Pivot trail
    29th works. Morning ride work for you?

Danmtchl and mountaingirl sara like this.
  27. Ocpop

Ocpop Well-Known Member

Name:
    Paul K
    Current Bike:
    Pivot trail
  28. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Hey wait a minute! “Climber” is my middle name. “Slow” is my first name!!!

29. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    Yep, sunday 29th works. Start time TBD.
    :thumbsup:
    Whiting luge whiting it is!

30. Lost Kiwi

Lost Kiwi Well-Known Member

Name:
    Simon
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    :thumbsup:

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?