Trailside First Aid

Discussion in 'Crash Confessions' started by rossage, Nov 11, 2019.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    Treatment for shock - keep victim warm and comfortable, PRONE, AND ELEVATE THE FEET (unless there is a bleeding head wound).

2. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    The couple of times I opened an alcohol pad on the trail it was bone dry. So I don’t bother bringing them anymore. Bikepacking sometimes I’ll include a small bottle of hand sanitizer, otherwise, just water irrigation to get the chunks out and temporary dressing.

What about the HTFU part?? Depending on injuries, of course. : )

3. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Rule 5 only if conscious. :thumbsup:

4. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    If you've seen someone in real shock, they aren't coherent / logical. Kinda like when someone is hypothermic. You can hold a conversation with them, and they won't remember it the next day. You can tell them to HTFU... and they'll agree with you and then walk off a cliffside :( It's like that dude a few years back who got lost on Main Divide and died of exposure. They found him still on his bike, upright, leaning against a rock... but he was dead.

5. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    This is how I wanna go. Not in some bed, completely immobile.

6. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Isn’t shock brought on by psychological reaction? I dont know much about it.

I suspect that the severity of the injury has little relation to its likelihood. I think hypothermia is what took Andre, and I believe that it was named as the official cause. But point taken that any whacked mental state will complicate (or worse) an epic.

A person or two suggested to me that I was in shock immediately after a grievous open injury. Bullshyt!!! I was helping climbers rig me down to a ledge where a rescuer could be inserted, then complying with instructions to get shipped out. Giving up and letting others do the work would have increased the extraction time and, potentially, ruined my window for a chopper haul (the medic had to rappel off 1000’ due to wind), and, potentially, allowed infection to grow in my leg and render me an amputee. No self-congratulations; it happens to climbers regularly.

I think when loss of life or limb is truly on the line, we can do far more than we think. Hell, more than we think any time. Survival instincts are strong, but very few people ever really tap them.

So don't go into shock!!!!! And don’t find a reason to! :D

7. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    My god, that sounds horrible. Confused with your family wondering where you are and if you’re alive?

I know you’re kidding.

RIP, Andre; condolence to his family and friends.

herzalot and mountaingirl sara like this.
  8. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Google shock.
    There are at least 4 kinds of shock, and 3 stages of each.
    Basically a drop in the body's ability to deliver Oxygen to vital organs, owing to some kind of traumatic injury.

9. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    No, I'm not. My family knows this about me. My wife always knows exactly who I am with, where, and when, every time I am out riding. She even has everyone's number in her phone book, most of whom she has never met and likely never will. My apologies now for the one (if it's any of you guys) who finds my rotting carcass if it comes to that. :D

There is nothing wrong with being remembered as someone who died doing what they loved. Tragic? Yes. But, all death is tragic, regardless of the circumstances.

10. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Some deaths are tragic. All are inevitable.

11. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Being scared and desperate, about to die doing something that’s supposed to be fun is what you love? We’re all free to want something, power to you.

This “died doing what he loved” stuff is romantic nonsense. The sht doesn’t count if you don’t get home.

12. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Born to take my first breath, doomed to take my last...
    Hope it's in my sleep.

mtnbikej, mike and mountaingirl sara like this.
  13. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    99.9999999% of all people who have ever lived have died.

(and 73.46% of all statistics are made up on the spot...:confused:)

14. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    All that shows is that being born is a primary indicator that you'll die. Something must be done about this!

mountaingirl sara and herzalot like this.
  15. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    You seek immortality?

mountaingirl sara likes this.
  16. fos'l

fos'l Well-Known Member

Name:
    Bob
    Current Bike:
    2005 Santa Cruz Superlight
    Thanks for the information. In this case, PRONE was infeasible, so guess whatever was done helped.

CBone and mountaingirl sara like this.
  17. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    I sortof stated that assuming most people knew it. I must have learned "treatment for shock" about a dozen times - Boy Scouts, Lifeguarding, Military, Rescue Diver, Divemaster, etc...

Many times people die from shock without showing external injury - particularly from a fall or an impact. Guys in the military can die from shock from being too close to an explosion or incoming artillery fire - even when they "look" ok. First thing you always do is get people to LIE DOWN. Often when people are injured they will get up and wander around - saying "everything's ok" even when it is clear it is not. It's their adrenaline / survival instinct kicking in. Keep them calm, keep them warm, tell them help is on the way, and elevate the feet to maximize blood flow to the head and abdomen. If they have a bleeding head wound, get them to lie down but elevate the head and leave the feet down.

Two years ago I had a dude who crashed into my driveway, totaling three cars in the process. He wasn't wearing a seatbelt, and impacted the windshield twice with his head - leaving two big craters in the windshield. When we approached the car, he was dazed/unconscious, lying down in the front seat. Suddenly he popped up, opened the door and jumped out of the car, and started pacing around my driveway - acting almost manic. He was talking to himself... "I can't afford another accident... I can't afford another accident". He was bleeding all over the driveway and I was afraid he was going to wander out into the street. I grabbed a blanket out of the garage and got him to sit down on the yard, and then got him a towel for his bloody head. No way was he going to lay down, but at least he wasn't going to keel over and pass out while on my driveway - giving himself another head strike. Had we been in the back country though, I would have had him prone, wrapped in my emergency blanket, until emergency medical arrived.

18. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    I put my wife into a state of shock at least a few times a week.

F255FA97-1BE9-4EB8-B3A1-297D92590CCD.jpeg

19. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    If she's already lying down wrapped in a blanket then it could be deadly. :confused:

20. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    I need to sew a label inside my biking jersey: "Medical Alert: If I am discovered on the trails in a state of shock, do not allow @Cornholio to treat me!"

Cornholio likes this.
  21. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    Huh? Smelling salts should help you snap out of it.

herzalot likes this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?