Socks with sewn in shin pad

Discussion in 'Armor' started by evdog, Nov 15, 2019.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    Posting this here so people can find them. Came across these a while back and ordered 2 pr. They have a sewn in pad in the shin which is sort of like the G-form pad material that is flexible but stiffens up on impact. Great for overgrown trails and should protect from pedal gnar. A bit scratchy when you first put them on but once they warm up the pads soften and you shouldn't notice them.

https://concrete-visionary.com/product/bamboo-charcoal-knee-high-painkillers-socks-foam-sewn-in/

rossage, mike and Cyclotourist like this.
  2. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Thanks for re-posting the info! My biggest irritant is Russian thistle (tumbleweeds). Do thorns/twigs/etc get embedded in them during a ride, and if so, do they come out in the wash? Or do you have to pull out by hand? I've actually considered making some brush protectors out of long soccer type socks, by painting on Plasti Dip across the front of them.

mike and rossage like this.
  3. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    Mine arrivedd... Put it on.. very scratchy..but it is as advertised.. umm.. I c potential for never wearing them....

4. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    Thanks for sharing.

No thanks for using.

5. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    Will wear them asap and give thoughts post

6. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    I imagine stuff will stick to them like any other sock. The only difference is the sewn in pad. So hopefully those thistles and thorns etc won't poke through into skin, but you'll probably be pulling them out by hand.

Cyclotourist and mike like this.
  7. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    The problem I have with this entire concept is that rarely are my shins the part of my body that I worry about. My shins are hardcore. They can bleed like a mofo and say "bring it on". It is my points of contact (in serious impacts) that I worry about. Knees. Elbows. Palms/wrists.

8. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    TFPU, Ev.

Getting whacked in the shin by a flying rock doesn’t happen very often, but kripes it hurts when it does. Worth the contingency pro? You decide...

herzalot and Cyclotourist like this.
  9. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    Mine are tough too. But I ride a lot of overgrown trails and get tired of my shins constantly getting scratched up by brush and raked by catclaw. Knee high socks help with that but these with padded inserts will help more. And then there are the occasional rock strikes like Mike mentions. And sometimes you get both:

MrGreedom, DangerDirtyD, mike and 2 others like this.
  10. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    My wife and I each have a pair of 661 veggie shin guards in our storage unit somewhere. You guys are making me think I should go get them. I would probably wear them if I did a lot of overgrown trails, or used flat pedals for trail riding. Shins don't have much natural padding on them!

11. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    The Santa Anas are notorious for rocks with wedge-like edges that get flung upward. One broke a spoke at walking speed on Main Divide, wtf.

Tall socks or a a lower leg layer can spare some carnage. I’ve haven’t gotten any damage worth mentioning from pedal pins in years.

If it’s cool out it’s NBD, grab em. It’s like a lot of protective gear. It provides added confidence but in reality you’ll get just as hurt if you blow it hauling ass. So yes, they work. : )

12. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Santa Anas can destroy any bike, or any part thereof. :eek:

DangerDirtyD and mike like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?