Bibs for the Bits

Discussion in 'Shorts' started by Derek13, Nov 13, 2019.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Derek13

Derek13 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Derek Smith
    Current Bike:
    SC Hightower
    Under garments are normally very personal. However, I would like to encourage a discussion on what folks are wearing next to their most intimate of parts and pieces...

I wear bibs rather than shorts and have since I was a teen riding miles of asphalt road rides. My go to set of bibs were Performance brand Elite. My last remaining set is well past it's expiration date and I need something new. I wear boardshorts/shorts and shirts over bibs. Rarely just bibs and jersey. (maybe on a longer road ride)

For those of you who wear bibs as your under layer please help me out with your suggestions. Brands, styles, where to purchase, favorites... I aim to buy local and US made if at all possible, but not always a deal breaker.
    As always thank you all for insight.

2. pperrelle

pperrelle iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ripley V4 & Ripmo V2
    I don't wear bibs, but my liners all come from Zoic. I use the Ultra liners. They are a local company based here in Carlsbad. I'm assuming that their gear is manufactured overseas, but I can't confirm or deny that. They sell bib liners as well.

https://zoic.com/mens/bottoms-men/liners-men

mtnbikej likes this.
  3. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    I wear bibs as well under my shorts and shirt. Not a roadie, so I NEVER wear only the bib.
    My current bib is a RaceFace Stash bib. It has back hips pockets and thigh pockets. I don't carry a pack. So, I stuff all my needs in the pockets. Works great for me. Purchased online via Jenson. Specialized and Alpinestars make some sweet bibs w/ pockets too.

4. Derek13

Derek13 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Derek Smith
    Current Bike:
    SC Hightower
    Thanks Paul. I was just on the ZOIC site and looking at them. I have heard good things about ZOIC as a local company and their products. In the running for sure.

mtnbikej likes this.
  5. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    If you want Made in USA and local. Checkout JL Racing. They are in Santa Ana, they have a small store or you can order online.

6. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Bib guy here for the last 15 years. Sooooo much more comfortable without the waistband.

Pearl Izumi makes some nice stuff. Even their low end duds work well. You can usually find them on sale somewhere.

I wear mine under my Fox Rangers.

Cornholio, UPSed and Derek13 like this.
  7. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Lycra briefs or free-balling:eek:. Depends on the ride-and the weather.
    :thumbsup:

See Rule #5 HTFU

Runs with Scissors likes this.
  8. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    I bought my first set of bibs in the spring and are way more comfortable that the liners I wear under the shorts. Only thing that suck is going to the bathroom out on the trail. Mine are Pearl Izumi’s as with all my shorts. I want to try the Zoic’s also.

Cornholio likes this.
  9. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    I bought some Dirtbaggies (little bit pricey) back in 2014 and I still were the bib for most my rides. Super comfortable and the shell that came with them snaps to some loops on the bib. Fox Rangers are my preferred shell though because they have better pockets. The bib has pockets too.

One feature I really like about the Dirtbaggies bib is that it has a slot to take a leak.

https://usa.dirtbaggies.com/collections/mens/products/feature
    2016Feature_features_1024x1024.png

doublewide, Derek13, Redman and 4 others like this.