Article about cyclist fatalities

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MTBZen, Nov 13, 2019.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. MTBZen

MTBZen Member

Name:
    Gary
    Current Bike:
    2017 Trek Pro-Caliber 9.6
    https://www.bicycling.com/culture/a29711903/ntsb-cycling-safety-recommendations-2019/

While I agree with some of the sentiment expressed by the author that the NTSB did a fair amount of "victim blaming" regarding roadie fatalities, I think there is a bit of truth in the article. I ride both road and mountain so I'm not biased one way or another, but I have seen a TON of disrespect for traffic laws and even basic driving courtesy among roadies when I am driving and riding. Some definitely do ride with an air of entitlement and an "I dare you" attitude toward motor vehicles unfortunately. I'm a huge proponent of wearing a brain bucket and bright clothing so I agree with that basic rule of road survival as well.

kazlx, Faust29, mike and 6 others like this.
  2. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    The majority of cyclists I see riding on the roads do not stop at stop signs or stop lights unless there is an immediate opposing traffic threat.

3. Torrent77

Torrent77 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dave
    I see this also, and some roadies make a point that they rather be free from a 4 way intersection rather than be caught up in a situation where they can be rear-ended, side swiped, or brake checked because of whatever reason. Having commuted on Katella blvd. I can tell you that I have nearly been hit many times from distracted drivers making a right turns, left turns, and encroachment on the crosswalks.

Faust29, herzalot, UPSed and 3 others like this.
  4. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Riding on Katella is contra-indicated.

Cyclists do need to be a little more discerning about the routes they take. You won't see me riding on Katella because there's no room. Ball Road is just two blocks north and has the room and the bike lane. That doesn't guarantee you won't get run over but it's the better option.

We are often our own worst enemies.

Faust29, herzalot, UPSed and 4 others like this.
  5. Torrent77

Torrent77 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dave
    So true, I used to take Chapman myself because of the dedicated bike lanes, but for some reason, I had more issues on Chapman than Katella. My guess, is that the increased traffic on Katella already puts drivers in a heightened state unlike chapman.

6. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    Bottom line, is the NTSB saying if I wear a helmet, wear bright reflective clothing, and obey traffic laws... that will make me safe?

I don't ride roads EVER if I can avoid them. I even get nervous crossing parking lots. Distracted driving is now the #1 cause of traffic fatalities in this country - ahead of drunk driving. If people are killing each other by driving into each others' cars - what chance does a biker have? Reflective clothing doesn't help if the driver isn't looking out their windshield. A helmet doesn't help if your head isn't attached to your body.

mtnbikej, Faust29, herzalot and 7 others like this.
  7. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Most fatalities in SoOC are on very wide sections of roads with huge shoulders and ample sight lines. The killer seems to be the speed differential and the idiocy and distractedness of the driver. The fatalities are on PCH where it's 4-6 lanes with a wide shoulder (North Laguna to Corona Del Mar), Newport Coast (6 lanes, 65 mph, huge shoulder), Laguna Canyon - the wide part (divided highway, 2 lanes, huge shoulder), Alicia Parkway (6 lanes, 55 mph, huge shoulder) etc. etc. No fatalities on the skinny part of Laguna Canyon, the tight quarters of PCH in Laguna or CdM proper, or other locations with no room, challenging sight lines and low speed limits.

8. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Raw numbers of cyclists on (and not on) those different sections have a lot to do with it. Lots of cyclists on PCH. Lots of stupid cyclists on PCH, cutting across three lanes of high-speed highway to get the left turn pocket onto Newport Coast. Can't count the number of times I've seen that. Not so many bikes on Laguna Canyon's skinny part.

In CDM you're going faster than the traffic.

Oddly, you don't hear of cyclists getting run down on GMR. Boatloads of cyclists, boatloads (when it's open) of Ricky Racers in cars and on crotch rockets. No shoulder to speak of.

9. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    I roll my eyes and shake my head at the suicidal behavior of most every road rider I see. They can blame whomever they want to fit their narrative, but most roadies are suicidal, IMO. No sympathy here. The only roads I ride are Cooks to STT and the end of The Luge to Cooks ... and both those stretches of pavement scare the Sh!t out of me.

scan, Torrent77, UPSed and 4 others like this.
  10. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I read the article this morning... And then read a few other sources. The full report isn't available yet, so all we're getting now are the summaries. The other news outlets, though, cite the need for infrastructure as the primary remedy offered in the report. The chairman of the NTSB also cited infrastructure when asked. The helmet piece was at the end of the presentations, but that's the part that the cyclist publications seem to latch onto.

I can't see a problem with a two pronged recommendation, although I think "changing driving culture" should be the third prong.

NTSB Chair:
    “If we do not improve roadway infrastructure for bicyclists, bicyclists will die who otherwise would not,” Robert Sumwalt, the NTSB chair, said during a meeting convened to review the research in Washington, DC, this week. “If we do not enhance bicyclist conspicuity, likewise, additional bicyclists will die. If we do not act to mitigate head injury for more bicyclists, additional bicyclists will die.”

11. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    Oh you mean the part where you are going 40 mph downhill, there is no shoulder, and the road drops 6" off pavement into loose gravel that falls steeply into scrub? And you have aggressive drivers crowding you on the left? You mean that part? :) Funny how you just mention a section of road and everyone knows what you are talking about!

12. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Turn left at the end of the Luge and it’s even crazier all the way back to Monastery.

13. Lost Kiwi

Lost Kiwi Well-Known Member

Name:
    Simon
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    I was faced with a dilemma this morning on the ride into work, stop and wait at a left hand turn exposed to traffic passing less than a foot away from me at 50mph or ride through a red light when there was no oncoming traffic for over a block.

It was a no brainer for me.

I will quite happily break the law when poor road design leaves me exposed to unacceptable levels of risk.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?