Updates about Whistler's Alpine Trail Network

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by CBagnall, Jul 31, 2019.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. CBagnall

CBagnall Guest

Hello all,
    On behalf of the Resort Municipality of Whistler (RMOW), I am reaching about Whistler’s Skywalk Trail and Alpine Trail Network.

The municipality wishes to share important information about vehicle parking, grizzly bears, e-bikes and dogs. Please pass on this information to your colleagues and clients.

Vehicle Parking - Important
    Changes have been implemented for parking to access many of Whistler’s alpine trails.

· Parking on Mountain View Drive and Valley Drive is extremely limited, and there are no washrooms in these locations. Additional regulatory signage has been installed and enforcement of parking bylaws is in effect.

· Please park at the rear parking lot of Meadow Park Sports Centre, accessed from Camino Drive (see map attached). This location offers ample parking, washrooms and a spectacular park to relax in after a strenuous hike or bike.

· Whistler Transit can get you closer to trail access points, and it’s free on weekends and holiday Mondays until September 2. Learn more at bctransit.com/whistler.

Trail users are reminded to be respectful of residents when accessing trails from residential neighbourhoods.

Grizzly bears
    Skywalk Trail and the Alpine Trail Network was closed by the Conservation Officer Service (COS) for a portion of last season due to grizzly bear encounters. If the COS implements future closures, announcements will be shared on whistler.ca and trailforks.ca, as well as posted at trailheads. Please respect signage and all closures.

E-bikes
    The RMOW will be implementing a policy for e-bike use on Whistler’s trails this summer. E-bikes will not be permitted in alpine areas, including the Sproatt/Rainbow Alpine Trail Network above Flank Trail. Learn more at whistler.ca/ebikes.

Dogs
    Dogs are prohibited from the Sproatt/Rainbow Alpine Trail Network above Flank Trail.

More information
    Please see the attached information sheet to learn more or visit whistler.ca/alpinetrails.
    Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

Warm regards,

Caroline Bagnall

Community Outreach Coordinator
    On behalf of the Resort Municipality of Whistler

RESORT MUNICIPALITY OF WHISTLER
    4325 Blackcomb Way
    Whistler, B.C. V8E 0X5

parks@whistler.ca

bvader, Mikie, ~JB~ and 7 others like this.
  2. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    Well well...haven't been there in years, but must say "Thanks for passing along the info"!

3. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    Soooo many of us ride Whistler on the norm. Thanks for sharing. :whistling::whistling:

Mikie, ~JB~, MrGreedom and 4 others like this.
  4. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    Mikie, ~JB~, MrGreedom and 4 others like this.
  5. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    I am flattered that someone from Whistler thinks we here in our little SoCal bubble get up there enough to warrant posting here!

Thanks for the update. I've been there three times (for MtB), I hope to go more!

Mikie, ~JB~, Rumpled and 4 others like this.
  6. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Ive not yet been there but I like what I have seen in videos and I hear great things about the area.

Mikie and MrGreedom like this.
  7. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5, Ripley & Mojo 4
    I rode this last July. While it's not the Skywalk Trail mentioned, coming down Lord of the Squirrels is one of my top5 favorite rides ever. Already making plans to go back next Summer.

@SnakeCharmer Get up there. It's BETTER than the hype in all aspects.

Mikie, ~JB~, MrGreedom and 3 others like this.
  8. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    That's right. I was in line for a bagel right ahead of Thomas Vanderham and Andrew Shandro. Gods!

Mikie, MrGreedom and DangerDirtyD like this.
  9. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    I don't doubt it for a moment but I am in a fragile state of mind. I'm a lil afraid that I would like it up there so much (not just the riding, but the area as well), that I might not ever come back.

Mikie, ~JB~, DangerDirtyD and 2 others like this.
  10. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    My wife and I had that experience. She was investigating the idea of opening a Chronic Tacos franchise there in 2010. She actually had a green light from Chronic. We backed off the idea (not having enough cash will do that). I don't think she would have liked the weather anyway.

Mikie, ~JB~, DangerDirtyD and 2 others like this.
  11. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

except it only took him 3 weeks from when he registered to spam the board. :cautious:

Mikie, DangerDirtyD and MrGreedom like this.
  12. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    I see this more as a PSA than spam. But hey, I got to watch a good video for Free!:)

13. CBagnall

CBagnall Guest

You’re overdue!!

Mikie, MrGreedom, mtbMike and 2 others like this.
  14. CBagnall

CBagnall Guest

no spam,just info

15. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    I am overdue, the Lord of Squirrels looks like an awesome trail!

CBagnall, Mikie, DangerDirtyD and 3 others like this.
  16. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    One of my buddies, who is a teacher in Vista, did exactly the same thing. His wife works from home but they just couldn't figure out a way to make it work financially, even if he could get a job. They wanted to live in Squamish.

DangerDirtyD, Danimal, Mikie and 4 others like this.
  17. ~JB~

~JB~ Member

Name:
    Juan B Garcia
    Current Bike:
    2019 RFX
    I lived in Marysville Wa (north of Everett) and would drive to Vancouver to visit a bakery and take the Saint Bernard to Stanley Park. Yes two hours for bread. If only I was a MTBr then:(.. left in 2001:bang::bang::bang::bang::bang:

DangerDirtyD, CBone, Danimal and 4 others like this.
  18. HBkites

HBkites Well-Known Member

Name:
    Sharone
    Current Bike:
    Why S7, Revel Rascal, Spark RC
    #Me2

If I ever move to Squamish, I will have enough $ to never work again.

DangerDirtyD, herzalot and mtbMike like this.
  19. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Aren’t there a few hurdles to clear to move to Canada? I mean, they don’t have a wall, but there are some regulations I think. They take steps to limit the bad hombres moving in from south of their border.

DangerDirtyD, mtbMike and mtnbikej like this.
  20. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    I'll probably ruffle a few feathers here....I first went to Whistler in 1991 and at that time, you needed to be bringing a job or be self sufficient financially (rich) before they'd let you emigrate into Canada from a far off land. As an American, the hoops were even worse for some reason. Consequently, all the mountain employees back then were Australian on work visas. Back then, there was little traffic getting out of Vancouver and Squamish was a tiny "village".

Fast forward to 2011 when I went twice during that ski season. Vancouver had imploded. There was litter, graffiti and homeless all over downtown. I asked our shuttle driver about what I was seeing and he said that the government had relaxed the immigration issues and things went DH in a hurry. They have let in plenty of bad hombres. Oddly enough, it still isn't as easy for Americans to move up there as it is for people from other countries. From what I understand, it's not the "moving" part but the obtaining of a work visa that is the biggest headache. I can only imagine that they want to limit the amount of Americans working to save employment availability for others. They even limit the number of Americans on their football teams.

Whistler itself has to be the most internationally diverse destination I've ever visited, both from an employee and visitor standpoint....and its pretty amazing.

21. HBkites

HBkites Well-Known Member

Name:
    Sharone
    Current Bike:
    Why S7, Revel Rascal, Spark RC
    Working in Canada? No, thanks!

MrGreedom and mtnbikej like this.
  22. MrGreedom

MrGreedom Well-Known Member

Name:
    Ryan
    Current Bike:
    BH Lynx6
    Yeah moving up there rich is the way to go.

DangerDirtyD likes this.