What’s everyone riding these days?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by noLungs, Jan 13, 2019.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Whatever gets you out there... :thumbsup:

Carry more water next time and you'll have this whole mountain biking thing figured out. :D

Mikie, DangerDirtyD, mike and 2 others like this.
  2. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    My first mtb ride was down the Gabrielino from Switzers to JPL. Rigid bike, friction shifters, canti brakes.
    I was hooked.
    Get some!

Mikie, ~JB~, Grego and 7 others like this.
  3. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Great job! Keep at it.

BTW, nice score on the bike. You can't buy a worthwhile new bike tire for $60.

Mikie, DangerDirtyD, Faust29 and 2 others like this.
  4. chimpanzee

chimpanzee Member

Name:
    B Young
    I already did. I had a Trek 4300 (2002) sitting in my garage, with nice parts. I moved them over:"

1) 3x8 Alivio shifters

2) NEW Forte V-brakes (with cartridge pads)

3) Deore LX crank & BB (from 90's Trek I got off CL for $40..Deore LX everything)

4) Deore LX rear derailleur

5) Deore front derailleur

6) Manitou X-Vert fork
    has rebound adjuster (on bottom of right leg), compression adjusters on top

Keeping the Bontrager Camino rims. Previous owner upgraded seat to a nice one

Bike is lighter, can't wait to try it out. I need to work on getting-in-shape

I bought a 2010 GT Avalanche 3.0 off CL for $70 yesterday, came with 2 new tires & extra tube. I like the triple-triangle design of GT. Had a Suntour XCM fork with LO (built in rebound) & adj pre-load. I did a quick tune-up with the seller, & hit the this trail in Simi Valley:

Lang Ranch/Woodridge Open Space Trails

Hardly any shade, 100 deg temp

Bike is HEAVY (32 lbs?). That dang Suntour fork is a boat anchor.. Plus, the Alex double-wall rims aren't the lightest. I have Rockshox air & a Fox fork (LO, rebound, compression) lying around, so I want to see how much I can lighten it up. I also have some disc wheels lying around like DT Swiss

I moved a new Deore crank (w/Octalink) to replace the stock Suntour crank. Thinking of moving over some (used) entry-level Promax hydraulic brakes, to replace the stock Tektro mechanical disk brakes

IMG_20190723_135813907.jpg

IMG_20190723_142127275.jpg

IMG_20190723_141237551.jpg

IMG_20190723_144351291_HDR.jpg

Mikie, Earn Your View, ~JB~ and 13 others like this.
  5. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Cool beans!! But, you probably shouldn't lay it down on the derailleur side.

Mikie, mike, Faust29 and 1 other person like this.
  6. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    My kids both had Avalanches when they were younger... Fun bikes! My oldest still rides his at college, but it's been turned into a commuter. Still going strong... :thumbsup:

It has waterproof bags on the back, but this has been his ride for the past two years...
    IMG_0781.jpg

7. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Ooops - I just realize I almost always lay my bike on the derailleur side. I don't want the rotors bending. I've never had a problem with the derailleur because of it - but perhaps I will be more mindful in the future. Or, I will add a kickstand. :thumbsup: I guess there's no hurry since I've been doing it wrong for 30 years. :oops:

Nice Avalanche @chimpanzee - and more importantly, nice determination on your riding! Seems like you have a good plan for making the bike a little lighter while increasing its performance. Fork and rims are a good place to start.

Fueledbyex8, Mikie, tortoise and 3 others like this.
  8. chimpanzee

chimpanzee Member

Name:
    B Young
    There are deals on CL..varying degrees.

Someone listed a $4K carbon-fiber Scott Scale hardtail for $280..XTR everything, I got to the seller 1st -- but someone undercut me (offered the seller more).

00E0E_77Mnozk5kNX_1200x900.jpeg

00f0f_cHLNu4cwJ08_1200x900.jpeg

00J0J_cZ6BV5PKLk3_1200x900.jpeg

01616_ajHwI1Pbgcs_1200x900.jpeg

9. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    That's about a 2006 model with the dual shift/brake levers. May have been $4k then. $280 is an amazingly low price still. Sure it wasn't stolen? :confused:

Mikie, Voodoo Tom, mike and 3 others like this.
  10. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    Hominoids with 15 year old bikes tend to be rippers. Just saying, the @chimpanzee miiight be faster than you.

11. chimpanzee

chimpanzee Member

Name:
    B Young
    I need to work on climbing..that's my weakness. I can only do about 50 yds in lowest gear, then I have to rest. Need to work on stamina. I tried Mt Wilson toll-road (steep climb on fireroad up to Henniger Flats, no ruts), could only get as far as Henniger Flats with multiple rest stops. Goal is to get up to Mt Wilson

I'm beginning to get addicted to exercise, I spent like 10 years finding bikes/parts on CL & piecing together cool rides. In spec, wheels trued, brakes, shifting, etc. Accumulated a HUGE collection, I'm selling them off. Hardly did any riding..as in NONE. I found that working on bikes gives me exercise (!!)..I spend my days as a high-end R&D guy ("desk jockey"), very unhealthy. I just bought a killer light-weight hardtail off a guy, former BMX sales guy

"I couldn't take working behind a desk, now I work as a cook"

I feel physically better, I can feel the blood pumping when I lie down to sleep. I "put out", sweat, get dirty, take a hot bath..very satisfying. I have a side activity -- "grease monkey" gear head. There's something about turning-a-wrench.

Plus, the moral/ego satisfaction of building stuff..I also work on cars (road & offroad). Again, killer deals on CL. Sellers dumping non-working cars on CL, could be just something simple (just goto PickyourPart)..whoala running vehicle

See pic (Alex Grewal quote), it was posted on a large Orange County bike shop (Rock N Road?) who is Specialized dealer. Rancho Santa Margarita?

"90% of the game is played above the shoulders"
    -- Yogi Berra

I'm watching the Tour de France, seeing the balance between physical & mental

"Lance Armstrong is a CALCULATED KILLER"
    -- Phil Liggett, TDF commentator

[ saving his energy ala multiple F1 champ Alain Prost (aka "The Professor", saves his tires) & 4-time Indy 500 winner Rick Mears (hang with the leaders, then make a strong move at end of race) ]

Which brings us the question of "rides" -- do you REALLY need the latest/greatest bike?? Hell, if you have the budget..more power to you! However, I bet an experienced rider in a 90's rigid can beat out someone in a state-of-the-art bike

I DO have some older (circa 2004, 2006) FS bikes, but I guess they are beat out by the current state-of-art. Someone (needing cash) just listed a clean 2016 27.5 Giant Trance 2 ($2500 MSRP) for $450..I wasn't able to get it. There was a listing for a clean 2010 Ibis Moojo SL (Carbon frame, $4380 MSRP) for $550. I simply don't have the budget for current latest/greatest bikes

"Sometimes, suffering is good for the soul"
    -- McCoy to Capt Kirk, Star Trek

"Doing More with less"
    -- College Basketball commentator, Re: Butler Univ team (2 consecutive Final 4 appearance, Brad Stevens coach)

"It's not the box, but the person in the box which counts"
    -- Manfred von Richtofen, top scoring WWI ace (did not survive)

grewalracing.jpg

competitionprocrastination.jpeg

Fangio.jpg

ivanstewart.jpg

lqbmqwazp10rlyglxiqa.jpg

prefontaine.png

prost.jpg

12. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

What size is this?

Is the seat at the correct height? Looks low. This could be one of the reasons that climbing is so bad.

I had an Avalanche back in 1996.

That Scott bike you listed below looks ginormous.

Mikie and DangerDirtyD like this.
  13. Earn Your View

Earn Your View Member

Name:
    Bryan
    Current Bike:
    2013 Charge Cooker
    keanu-image-8.png

14. mountaingirl sara

mountaingirl sara iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    At a mini family reunion this wknd I was offered some killer discounts on Masi brand bikes. Does anyone know about this brand? Obviously I’m not going for a MTB here(I love my 5010 :inlove:), but possibly a gravel bike or road bike to replace the old aluminum Specialized.
    Thx in advance :)

15. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

They have been around forever. Road is what they know.

Mikie, DangerDirtyD, herzalot and 2 others like this.
  16. mountaingirl sara

mountaingirl sara iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    Cool, thanks! I’m found a few blogs and reviews..they seem fine for what I need :thumbsup:

Mikie, DangerDirtyD and mtnbikej like this.
  17. chimpanzee

chimpanzee Member

Name:
    B Young
    I just resurrected/restored a 80's Trek 820 (bought for $20 on CL), has full Suntour XCM components (crank..stainless-steel chain rings!, front/rear derailleurs, friction front/rear shifters). Quality Diacompe U-brake..on seat-stay (NOT chain stay like in '88 models). Trek Matrix double-wall rims, single-wall up front. It's steel frame..whole bike is HEAVY, like 33 lbs. I'm tempted to take it on a trail..but I'm selling it on CL It has 34 tooth big gear on the rear cassette, so it will help a novice-climber like me..

Check out the road geometry, straight top-tube..!! Some guy out in NY was going to fly to San Diego, buy it, then use it as a touring bike back home!

IMG_6831.JPG

IMG_6832.JPG

IMG_6833.JPG

IMG_6835.JPG

IMG_6837.JPG

IMG_6838.JPG

IMG_6841.JPG

IMG_6843.JPG

Mikie, Danmtchl, Cyclotourist and 2 others like this.
  18. chimpanzee

chimpanzee Member

Name:
    B Young
    I'm doing a build around the GT frame..replaced the HEAVY ~5 lb (!!) Suntour XCM fork (has LO & compression adj) for a Fox RLC fork. Avid Juicy carbon (handle) hydro brakes ($40 off CL). DT Swiss wheels, taken off a (used) Giant AC2 full-suspension bike (bought for $180 off CL..kinda hacked)

Here is the old fork on a Specialized Hard Rock Comp Disc (21" XL), whose original RST "Gila Plus RA" (had nice rebound adjuster on right top) fork was frozen (previous owner ran it on the beach, all sorts of sand/corrosion inside). Couldn't resurrect it..will try later.

IMG_7535.JPG

IMG_7538.JPG