Climbing...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by herzalot, Jul 19, 2019.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    I'm sure it's already been said but as much of my current self loves to climb I'm not opposed to shuttling for a day.

2. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Not all shuttles are to avoid climbing. The shuttles you mention are are point-to-point shuttles like PCE and Whole Enchilada where the trails are not fit to be out and back or loops. Other shuttles are to do DH laps like the front of Mt. Wilson (or the repeats I used to do on Telonics). Shuttling to ride trails that are legitimate two-way trails such as San Juan is barely better than riding an e-bike, IMO.

3. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    @mtbMike
    Note I said DH Ride Mike-O! :thumbsup:
    I’ve done tons of shuttles for points A to B rides.
    Palm Canyon
    Cannell Plunge
    Cedar Canyon
    Tobias
    Kokopelli
    Cherry Creek
    Frazier Mountain Trail 120
    Ojai
    SART Hell Ride/Hellacious Ride from Big Bear
    Most of which can have a climb total of 2 to 15k of climbing. I shuttle when it totally makes sense. But I don't shuttle to ride a DH Ride.

4. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Major envy. But my time will come soon enough.

5. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5, Ripley & Mojo 4
    Fair enough, guess I'm reading it different than you're writing it....still. You can hook up with @Sidewalk and he'll show you that Palm Canyon is actually a loop. :D

6. scan

scan iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    Mo
    Montana de oro ? I'm there till Wednesday

7. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    Lucky you I had to go back to Bakersfield where it’s 101 degrees. Love riding out there.

8. da big hills

da big hills iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    cagey
    Current Bike:
    enduro 29
    I shuttle Fountain Place. It is awesome, of course we are on a tandem.
    at the bottom the wife picks us up and a few odd Hammer dudes and up we go again.
    Happy trails on Sidewinder and Cedar.

9. Earn Your View

Earn Your View Member

Name:
    Bryan
    Current Bike:
    2013 Charge Cooker
    Why, thank you Mikie! It was the motto of my riding group when we used to ride together. I think the only time I shuttled was at Snow Summit in or around 2011. Not that I have anything against shuttling or downhill riding, it's just not my thing.

These days, my rides are dependent on my schedule. I have young kids, so sometimes my rides are just riding them around town in our cargo bike. Try climbing on a 50 lb. bike with about 85 lbs. of cargo... ouch! I earned my tacos last weekend. I used to be a much more dedicated mountain biker, but now I have think a bit more out of the box. Driving 45 mins. each way to ride trails doesn't make as much sense as it used to, so often I stay local and ride either road or mixed surfaces. Turnbull, Powder Canyon, and the world famous Fullerton Loop are near me, plus additional fireroads that I can explore. Riding bikes is still fun!

10. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    The old lady wants to know why it’s not called UH – as in DH. And sez “climbing” is not done on a bike.

Ouch, babe!!

11. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    :cry:Ouch... I still love her though...:p You can't not love the Wheez!

Faust29, MrGreedom, Danmtchl and 5 others like this.
  12. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Glad to hear from you. Don't be a stranger! We love kid stories and Fully Loop stories here.

13. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Are we still talking about this? I thought it was settled that climbing is the essence of mountain biking, because, y'know, without climbing you can't descend. Not legitimately, anyway.

Faust29, Mikie, Danmtchl and 3 others like this.
  14. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    I spent the early 2000s pulling a Burley trailer up Santiago Canyon road. Not epic, but lots of memories. My son would go right to sleep, while my daughter stayed awake and kept up the chatter. (Not much has changed, really...)

15. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    The essence of mountain biking is getting away from the cops, the cars, and the concrete. You can work out the rest of the details for yourself.

16. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Lots of climbing on the CB to Aspen route, but you didn't get a lot of bike for your $1500 back in 1980. Can you imagine teleporting back there and showing up with one of today's average all-around full suspension rigs? Who am I kidding, they would still beat me to the top!

17. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    Just looked at the CPI calculator—that’s over $4500 in today’s money. :eek:.

18. Lost Kiwi

Lost Kiwi Well-Known Member

Name:
    Simon
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    The Proflex climbs like a demon, bit of cash my way and you might convince me to take the Nomad of your hands :sneaky::Roflmao:Roflmao

(your going to hate going downhill on it, skinny bars, v brakes and 2.0 tires can be genuinely terrifying)

19. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    Spent many hours on them back in the day when they were modern tech. Skinny bars with the long Vector stem was top notch.

Old&InTheWay, Mikie, Danmtchl and 7 others like this.
  20. Stkx66

Stkx66 iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower 27+/ 29r
    I love climbing but I was much slower when I was 30 lbs. heavier.

21. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    I'm guessing that's why I love climbing so much now. It's a lot easier without that extra 50lbs!

22. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    The wheez was concerned that I made her sound mean. She definitely is not like me that way...

Climbing isn’t done on a damn bike!!!!! And best of my knowledge, no one has “Everested” on a bike. But I’ll play along because I love uphill riding so much. :geek::thumbsup: Something oddly comforting about seeing a big bunch of uphill miles in front of me. Investment opportunity. Never a bad return, and it’ll be easier the next time.

UHFTW

23. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    I agree. From now on I will call it "uphill" biking :)

Old&InTheWay, mike, Faust29 and 5 others like this.
  24. Stubborn Approach

Stubborn Approach Member

Name:
    Tony
    Current Bike:
    2022 Pivot Firebird
    Miles on the saddle are the worst. That is a side of cycling I could do without, but I accept it, as I don't want the weight penalty of an electric motor.

Show me something amazing done from the saddle, and I may change my mind, but until then... :gag:

25. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Going up in altitude is climbing in my book, regardless of the means of conveyance. But hey, I'm not a rock climber/mountaineer so I don't feel any emotional ownership to the word. Feels like rock snobbery to me. :cautious:

26. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
  27. kazlx

kazlx Well-Known Member

Name:
    Joe
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB5.5
    I don't mind climbing. While climbing I question my life choices, but when I get there I feel accomplished. I think more than anything I enjoy seeing progress on climbs because it feels like much more of a fitness indicator. When I feel terrible, it's more of a reflection of myself realizing I should be riding more and it hurts more than it should. It's very satisfying for me to be able to just motor up climbs. That being said, I'm really more into just accessing the fun stuff and I really couldn't care less about technical climbing. I'll take a good fire road any day. Little challenges here and there are fun to clean sections, but giant sections of just having to HAB aren't that enjoyable. I don't mind a good HAB to get to good trails otherwise not accessible, but if I have a choice HAB 1/2 mile or pedal a mellow grade for 5 miles, I'll choose the pedaling.

Good thing Strava can't tell when I'm walking :cautious:

28. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    lets be honest here. Who in their right mind would rather climb Trabuco then down? or Holy Jim?

29. kazlx

kazlx Well-Known Member

Name:
    Joe
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB5.5
    That’s why other sports are lame. If you think about it, running is basically the equivalent of going on a bike ride and climbing the whole time. That’s just silly.

I feel like biking is one of the few things where the reward is actually worth all that work.

konakc, MrGreedom, blixet and 2 others like this.
  30. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    The beauty of our open spaces is diverse and, in a word, amazing. Show some of it to yourself, it’s everywhere.

And I don’t even have affiliation with Climbing magazine!!! You should submit a bike-related plea to the editors and see where it goes.

How about them people who “climb” mountains on a hiking trail? I climbed Mount Whitney. That’s after they climb to Whitney Portal in the car. Which requires climbing out of bed. :D

herzalot, rossage, Redman and 2 others like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?