B* Bees

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by fos'l, Jul 17, 2019.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. fos'l

fos'l Well-Known Member

Name:
    Bob
    Current Bike:
    2005 Santa Cruz Superlight
    My friend was stung twice while ascending B* yesterday early evening near the "hives". She doesn't wear perfume so I don't know what attracted them, but they seemed uncharacteristically unfriendly. I had a couple buzz me, but got the hell out of there. Just a warning in case the heat has them "antsy".

2. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Yeah, I got stung a few weeks back passing by the boxes just below Beeks'. They were on the aggressive side that night.

herzalot, Old&InTheWay, fos'l and 2 others like this.
  3. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    Funny u 2 mention that in both LCWP and Aliso lately you can hear the bees loud in the late afternoon on a number of the trails actually good we need more bees although I don't particularly enjoy being stung because it seems like each time I get stung it gets worse

herzalot, Old&InTheWay, fos'l and 3 others like this.
  4. mtbfan

mtbfan Member

Name:
    Sylvia
    Parts of Whiting were also closed Monday and Tuesday since some bee hives are too close to the trail. Even on the open trails, there are a few signs, warning of bees alongside the trail. Crazy!

5. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    I ride past the bee keeper's hives each time I do La Tuna. I've been stung a few times. In my case, it was because bees flying to or from the hives got caught in my helmet or went down my jersey.

6. fos'l

fos'l Well-Known Member

Name:
    Bob
    Current Bike:
    Allergic reactions can be a concern, not on the initial exposure, but a subsequent instance. It's rare, but can happen immediately or sometime later. Any chance the bees are being "Africanized" since I heard the strain was migrating west?

Old&InTheWay and DangerDirtyD like this.
  7. fos'l

fos'l Well-Known Member

Name:
    Bob
    Current Bike:
    No more turmoil; Saturday, no bees and the boxes were removed, hopefully permanently.

herzalot, mtnbikej and Old&InTheWay like this.
  8. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    Yesterday descending Harding I almost had my first ever insect-related crash. I was moving at a pretty clip just below the springs, with my bike jersey flapping in the breeze, and a huge beetle somehow flew inside my jersey collar and got trapped against my back just above my backpack. I thought it was a huge bee (because it was buzzing like crazy) and almost launched off the side of the trail, LOL :) Instead I managed to stop, took off my backpack, and shook it out the back of my jersey. It was kinda exciting there for a few moments!

fos'l, Rumpled, ~JB~ and 3 others like this.
  9. Old&InTheWay

Old&InTheWay Well-Known Member

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    2017 Intense Primer Pro
    queen%20breeders%20&%20ahb%20habitat%20suitability.jpg.png

Got stung on B* last week.

Derkderkall, fos'l, herzalot and 2 others like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?